Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a track day where you can take your own car?

Rides

Can anyone recommend a track day where you can take your own car?

I want to basically take my 200sx to either a skid pan, or a controlled track where i can basically give it some beens arse out and not be scared of bumping into a traffic light pole!

Anyone recommend anywhere?

Rides
    Santapod you might hit a few cones.

Rides
    there are play pens at pod, which is basically a small arena with a cone in the centre although fenced off its very unlikely you'll hit them as you are not going fast enough

Rides
    Pod is fun. Take spare tyres.

Rides
    Is it specifically for drifting? Or anything? And how much of a run do you have?

Rides
    i wanna power slide too

Rides
    in the play pens seriously you won't travel much more than 10mph (although the wheels are spinning faster of course) they are purely to practise control (drifting) around a cone.

the main track is fairly large however there are large concrete blocks and fences that could be hit and other cars

Rides
    Do a CAT course at Milbrook if you can afford it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by _Jamie_ View Post
    Do a CAT course at Milbrook if you can afford it
    You can't come here and just arse about though, you need to go to Pod for that.

Rides
    What are you looking to do, learn to drift or you just want to rip the car about for abit??

Are you worried you'll smash the car up?

Rides
    I want to learn how to drive my car balls out. I wanna learn how to control it when the arse goes. I dont want to smash it up. Its not a drift slag lol

Rides
    It just sounds like you need an airfield trackday TBH. Bedford would seem the logical place - loads of run off. Somewhere like Curborough/Blyton/ThatonenearCardiffthatI'veforgottonthenameof would also suit.
    If you spend the entire time trying to hang the tail out on every corner, then yeah, you'll get thrown off, but the occasional tweak and overcook and you'll be fine.

Whatever you do, don't book Combe, especially not in winter. It's a very steep learning curve. Similarly Brands/Oulton, but not quite to the same extent.

Skidpan days won't give you what you're after IMHO. You need a track day, and spend £30 or so on an instructor as well.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    It just sounds like you need an airfield trackday TBH. Bedford would seem the logical place - loads of run off. Somewhere like Curborough/Blyton/ThatonenearCardiffthatI'veforgottonthenameof would also suit.
    If you spend the entire time trying to hang the tail out on every corner, then yeah, you'll get thrown off, but the occasional tweak and overcook and you'll be fine.

Whatever you do, don't book Combe, especially not in winter. It's a very steep learning curve. Similarly Brands/Oulton, but not quite to the same extent.

Skidpan days won't give you what you're after IMHO. You need a track day, and spend £30 or so on an instructor as well.
    Thanks Si! Sounds like what i need. Yes hence i didn't want to do a skidpan day. Its not in my car. I wouldn't mind doing it seperately but been wanting to do this for a long time. I will have to try and not powerslide purposely. I will just over cook on some bends etc and let the course tale its toll

Rides
    Wait till the end of the day when you're less worried about a black flag - It can be embarrassingly hard to get one though as what you may feel is a big slide looks far less dramatic to a bored marshal

Generally, though If you're under control when other cars are near you you'll be ok on an airfield. You can get a fair bit of slip on the exit of a corner without being warned. Slipping on the way into the corner is discriminated against usually...

Rides
    I wanna do this...
    [HOONIGAN] KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA SEVEN: WILD IN TH…: http://youtu.be/5qanlirrRWs

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    I wanna do this...
    [HOONIGAN] KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA SEVEN: WILD IN TH…: http://youtu.be/5qanlirrRWs
    erm..then you'll have to go to Los Angeles

An airfield trackday will let you drive round corners at 90mph with the car sliding all over the place, and you feel how the balance is, and can experiment with throttle in corners or lifting off suddenly and generally play with the car.
    Highly recommended and great fun
    However, it doesn't translate to the road very well, as road speeds will be lower, and never underestimate the effect of white lines and manhole covers. Grip levels on the road change wildly, where any kind of trackday surface is a lot more consistent.

The Santa Pod idea for learning drifting at lowish speeds is probably going to be more helpful. I've never done that myself though.

Rides
    4WD looks so wrong on that car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    erm..then you'll have to go to Los Angeles

An airfield trackday will let you drive round corners at 90mph with the car sliding all over the place, and you feel how the balance is, and can experiment with throttle in corners or lifting off suddenly and generally play with the car.
    Highly recommended and great fun
    However, it doesn't translate to the road very well, as road speeds will be lower, and never underestimate the effect of white lines and manhole covers. Grip levels on the road change wildly, where any kind of trackday surface is a lot more consistent.

The Santa Pod idea for learning drifting at lowish speeds is probably going to be more helpful. I've never done that myself though.
    Think i will try an airfield as it seems like the best option. If i can learn control over throttle and steering balance that will be a good start

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran O'Quick View Post
    4WD looks so wrong on that car.
    Looks? Ah u mean lighting up all 4? Its still 30/70 i reckon maybe 25/75. The engine note is immense and the gearbox shifts instantly! Would love to see the build! Infact i am gonna look for it now!

Rides
    What you need is to do a Car limits day, not go apeshit out of control on a public trackday!