Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your reason to buy a 200sx s13

Rides

Your reason to buy a 200sx s13

Some say they're fast, and some say good at drifting. What's your reason to have a 200sx?

Rides
    I love the shape of them, they are proper wheel drive and they are Japanese! What more could ya want?

Rides
    well with a fettle here and there they handle, they drift, they do proper burnouts, not too slow, easy to tune, parts are everywhere.... they look pretty good too. ticked all the boxes when i was looking for my first (was my second by the time i found one) car all those years ago haha.

Rides
    Couldn't afford a Cosworth at the time.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    +1, and could actually afford the insurance on a 200. Since then Ive bought them to make money on, to drift and to pimp about in, they are pretty good at most things
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Snap

That and I'd seen one cheap which got me interested.

It was, for me, the worst car purchase I've ever made but yet I still miss that car incredibly

Rides
    Simple just look at them lol

Plus fairly easy to tune and work with, also rwd so can skid about and do a few circles if and when the notion takes you

Rides
    -Quite smart I suppose, closest thing to a fast track car (albeit a good one) try upgrading a gti just takes a big effort to turn into a track car just couldn't afford a bitchi ... But yes definitive
    Last edited by m12engine; 13-11-2014 at 20:55.

Rides
    jap rwd and turbo

Rides
    I never really aspired to owning one as I always had my heart set on a GTR. Unfortunately (or a blessing in disguise) no insurance company would willingly insure me on a GTR due to age, so had to explore other car options during the interim. Eventually found myself learning to drift in an MX5 and then for want of going back to turbo, I moved on to an S13. My first (unknowingly) upon purchase was more suited towards a collector, so sold on in favour of my current less collector worthy which is more fit for purpose . The car has proved to be great fun since, and taught me alot in terms of mechanics and driving ability.

Whilst other cars that have arrived and gone since, I've a feeling my S13 is here to stay - I can foresee me regretting it if it did!
    Last edited by nas241; 13-11-2014 at 19:04.

Rides
    Mine was never on the radar i was always wanting an r33 gtr, then i realised how much mods cost to get decent power from them and how huge they were i went off them. I then fell in love with the rx7 so i went on the hunt for an rx7 once i had a good enough job i felt i could run one. And after owning one for a short time with it coming to an unfortunate end i saw a picture of a red 180sx with the type x kit and fell in love, spent about 4 months looking for one and bought one and not looked back, i love it

I know this post says 200sx, but a 180 is still an s13

Rides
    Didn't know anything about them. Moved to Japan, first girl I dated had a well sorted 180. Turned out she was a very accomplished drifter. Which was something new to me. And that was it. Addicted.

Rides
    Pop up headlights!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    Didn't know anything about them. Moved to Japan, first girl I dated had a well sorted 180. Turned out she was a very accomplished drifter. Which was something new to me. And that was it. Addicted.
    Pics or GTFO

Rides
    To my shame, I bought my S13 because I was too tight to splash out on a new 14a (which was a logical replacement for my Opel Manta that was getting long in the tooth).

8 months later, I got a new 14a anyway

Go figure.

Still have the S13 though...

Many seem to forget that the S13 wasn't designed as a drift car. It was a mid-market, executive coupe.

Ironically, its only major flaw - that it easily went sideways - turned out, by a happy coincidence, to make it a hit on the drift scene.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Many seem to forget that the S13 wasn't designed as a drift car. It was a mid-market, executive coupe.
    And many forget how nice a car it is to drive as standard. I remember when I got my second one, totally standard; the difference between modified and standard was scary. I really enjoyed the standard one as a cruiser.

Rides
    The shape, the practicality (I moved out of university in my first car in one trip), the performance, the slightly wayward character...

I saw one years and years and years ago, long before I ever had an interest in cars and the only other car I want to own just for the shape if nothing else is a Honda NSX.

I love the fact that they are quite flexible in terms of their looks, i.e. they look retro enough to get away with small wheels and silly rivet-on overfenders but can be brought right up to date with a nice set of wheels and a bit of a drop. The engine bay is pretty cavernous so if 4 cylinder power doesn't do it for you then there are alternative engines which fit with plenty of space.

On track you can go for a proper fun lap where you leave 11s out of every corner one lap and then lay down a pretty quick and tidy lap the next which a lot of cars will struggle to keep up with.

Like a Swiss army knife, but Japanese and no sharp bits. Apart from the rust, that is.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Pics or GTFO
    This is the only pic I have on my pc. Keep in mind it was 10 years ago and I'd have to look out more pics. Anyway, note the billiard smooth roads. Oh I missing Japan...

Rides
    Fail

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    And many forget how nice a car it is to drive as standard. I remember when I got my second one, totally standard; the difference between modified and standard was scary. I really enjoyed the standard one as a cruiser.
    I agree, but it really only happens in hindsight! My first S13 was stock and similarly enjoyed it, even more so when I put it back on its original 15's... A different sort of enjoyment that my current one does not match. Which is why I somewhat regret moving it on.