Thread: Wheel wobble

Rides

Wheel wobble

Just hoping for a few pointers please guys. My S13 has had a small wheel wobble since I have been driving it (had 9J wheels up front back then) but this weekend I have put my new (7.5J) wheels on up front and the wheel wobble has got way worse now at above 50mph. I've done a bit of research and got a few ideas just wondered what you guys have experienced yourself. The new wheels should be balanced and I'm due in for an alignment in a week or two, but just need ideas of what to look for this weekend when I have a nosey

Rides
    Assuming these are aftermarket wheels make sure you have the correct wheel nuts, and the correct spigot rings fitted.

Without these two things being a correct having wobbly wheels is virtually certain.

Rides
    Need more detail on the wobble. Under braking ? At certain speeds ? Regular ? Steering shake or visible wobble ?

Rides
    Yeah after market wheels, I have 20mm spacers on but no spigot rings, I did buy the wheel nuts specifically for these wheels. Spigot rings seem to be my first point of call I think dude.

Jonny it's not under braking it's when I'm cruising around 50/60 but haven't had chance to get it above that speed. It's a steering wheel shake mostly but can feel the vibration slightly through the pedals ect now it's worse.

Rides
    As said I would check the wheel is mounted right with some spigot rings. Also check no weights have fallen off

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by milsom93 View Post
    Yeah after market wheels, I have 20mm spacers on but no spigot rings, I did buy the wheel nuts specifically for these wheels. Spigot rings seem to be my first point of call I think dude.

Jonny it's not under braking it's when I'm cruising around 50/60 but haven't had chance to get it above that speed. It's a steering wheel shake mostly but can feel the vibration slightly through the pedals ect now it's worse.
    Worn steering rack bushes will make any wheel imbalance feel about a million times worse. Classic symptoms is a shaking through the steering wheel at around 50-70.

Fairly cheap and easy to fit too.

Also, sometimes a wobble can be due to the way the wheels are fitted. If the nuts have a taper on the wheel-facing side, you should do the nuts up finger tight making sure the nuts go into the taper on the wheels with the wheel still off the ground, then lower and torque up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    As said I would check the wheel is mounted right with some spigot rings. Also check no weights have fallen off
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Worn steering rack bushes will make any wheel imbalance feel about a million times worse. Classic symptoms is a shaking through the steering wheel at around 50-70.

Fairly cheap and easy to fit too.

Also, sometimes a wobble can be due to the way the wheels are fitted. If the nuts have a taper on the wheel-facing side, you should do the nuts up finger tight making sure the nuts go into the taper on the wheels with the wheel still off the ground, then lower and torque up.
    Cheers chaps!! This has helped a lot!! Should have a route cause by the weekend now

Rides
    Are they hubcentric spacers or those crapy slip on ones

If hubcentric spacers get spigot rings and you will most likely be fine

If it's the crap slip on ones through them in the bin and get proper ones

Rides
    Another vote for checking the bushes up front.

I had abit of a wobble, my TC bushes were mullered. After replacing them with poly the car drove so much nicer.

Rides
    I had a similar problem some weeks ago, i checked all bushings, the steering rack, the alignment and the wheels balance... finally it was a not tightened bolt on one of the front struts! The Suspension was with some sort of "variabile camber angle" LOL, that made the wobbling. So, give a try and check!

PS. That mechanic will not see me anymore

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Are they hubcentric spacers or those crapy slip on ones

If hubcentric spacers get spigot rings and you will most likely be fine

If it's the crap slip on ones through them in the bin and get proper ones
    They are hub centric spacers not the slip on mate. I will size up the spigot rings this weekend and get some on order

Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Another vote for checking the bushes up front.

I had abit of a wobble, my TC bushes were mullered. After replacing them with poly the car drove so much nicer.
    Awesome, I'll check that over too. I need to poly bush the lot really as I believe they are the 22 year old ones which will no doubt be knackered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar85 View Post
    I had a similar problem some weeks ago, i checked all bushings, the steering rack, the alignment and the wheels balance... finally it was a not tightened bolt on one of the front struts! The Suspension was with some sort of "variabile camber angle" LOL, that made the wobbling. So, give a try and check!

PS. That mechanic will not see me anymore
    Right I'll check that too haha all this is coming so handy so I know what to look for guys appreciate it!!!

Rides
    Just done some digging around on this and the front bushes seem worn but not overly excessive (Although they really need to be poly bushed when I get the time) but just measured it all up for spigot rings and upon tightening the wheel back up I took extra care on making sure I did it equally and it seems to have made a huge difference to the point I got 70 with not much wheel wobble. So I will get these on order to solve that but I think the bushes may not have much life left at all so that's another job to the list