Thread: Renault Trafic

Rides

Renault Trafic

I have a Renault Trafic 2010 dci with which I need to sort out a couple of little problems.

1: I have a rear brake caliper sticking a bit. How can I strip the handbrake mechanism to clean and lubricate it and then set up all up again?

2: It's a bit difficult selecting 1st and 2nd it's as if the gate isn't set up correctly. Does anyone know the correct way to set up/adjust the gear cables?

Thanks
    Last edited by GTSX; 08-11-2014 at 16:35.

Rides
    You can try freeing off the caliper with WD40 but usually caliper a with handbrake a in the need to be replaced when they stick.
    Is the clutch ok? A worn clutch can make it hard to get gears.

Rides
    syncro's are gone or your pressure plate, known for both of these.. take your caliper off and wd40 around the handbrake lever. pull it back and forth a few times( dont pop the piston) but more than likely its the pads are stuck and need a good cleaning and copper grease

Rides
    Thanks for the replies. I got nothing so far on the Renault forum.

The clutch is fine it's just the gear change cables need setting up correctly or possibly 1st and 2nd cable needs changing and set up correctly. So I still need to know how to set it up.

The pads are fine and move freely. The piston moves ok and I've screwed it back in too. It's just the arm for the handbrake on the back of the caliper, that doesn't quite return fully. It's almost as if the spring has weakened. I really wanted to strip them, clean them and lubricate them rather than just spraying WD40.

Rides
    hi
    i have got a vivaro with the cdti engine.These vana are nearly the same. These vans are renowned for gearbox problems.first place to start is the selector on the top of the box. Give it a good clean then grease it. My gear change was massively better after. if not best to change bearing before they knacker the whole box.

Rides
    They're not nearly the same bro, they're identical.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    They're not nearly the same bro, they're identical.
    No they are not, one has a Renault badge and the other has a Vauxhall one, hence nearly the same

Anyway, scrap it and buy a Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    The panels on the Vauxhall vans still have Renault stamped on them if you remove them and look on the back, certainly on the interior trim...

I say remove, I mean pick up off the floor when they have fallen off, as ours did all the time, usually on the way to the dealer for another set of injectors.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No they are not, one has a Renault badge and the other has a Vauxhall one, hence nearly the same

Anyway, scrap it and buy a Transit
    Then become an expert at changing fuel pumps.

Merc vans are where it's at.

Vw are the worst of all.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    The panels on the Vauxhall vans still have Renault stamped on them if you remove them and look on the back, certainly on the interior trim...
    Everything does. I have been on the integration, conversions and continuous development of this vehicle for the past 6 years, and the new replacement. They're the same van, with the changes being effectively alloy wheel style, radio, steering wheel and grille.

Rides
    I hated the radio in our Vivaro too Insisted on coming on whenever you started the van, and there seemed to be no way to disable it doing this. Making it gone was the best move ever, horrid thing!

Rides
    These vans suffer with gearbox issues. A good friend of mine runs his own transmission business and repairing these is pretty much his bread and butter. He did mine after it got very noisy and had trouble selecting gears. The bearings had worn so badly they fell to bits as we pull the casings apart. New bearings and she is fine. He says the preload on the bearings is too much which kills thems at around 100k miles. Another thing is they need the correct oil. Only use 75-80 gl4. If you use any heavier oil it will crunch and be extremely notchy till its warm. I put 80-90 in mine at first and could barely get it in gear on a morning. Changing it for 75-80 and it was lovely and smooth. Also the fill hole isn't the fill level, its just a fill hole so you need to measure out the oil. 2.6ltrs.
    Last edited by diamondsink; 11-11-2014 at 14:48.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Merc vans are where it's at.

Vw are the worst of all.
    VW Crafters are rebadged Sprinters
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    The Vw badge makes it the worst.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    VW Crafters are rebadged Sprinters
    Dont they have the vw engine?
    Those renaults are shite, I remember my dads old traffic and his mates traffics constantly having gearbox failures and that was like 20 years ago. How they can still not know how to make a gearbox is beyond me.

Rides
    Well 20 years ago it's going to be a completely different vehicle.