Thread: Electric Cooling Fans

Rides

Electric Cooling Fans

Looking to ditch the viscous fan and shroud in favour of a twin electric setup.

What sort of air flow rates should I be looking for to make sure everything stays as cool as it should?

Is it wise to wire one fan up on the original fan wiring and the other one on at a lower temperature?

Lastly is it better to push or pull the air through the rad?

Thanks in advance Wayne

Rides
    If I was you I'd stick with the viscous as its a lot more reliable I've had electric fans before and found them to be unreliable, even with a decent branded one.

Rides
    It's for freeing up some room in the engine bay as I've fitted a deeper cored alloy rad. Surely there must be a reliable way of doing this as most factory standard cars run a thermostat and cooling fan?
    I'm a dab hand with wiring so that shouldn't cause any issues I was just worried about flowing enough air.
    Thanks for the input though.

Rides
    Watching this closely as this might be the next thing up for me

Rides
    Each fan will need a fused feed and a relay (mine run 20AMP fuses) and you'd need a fan controller (such as revotec?) to turn the fans on, via the relays.

I use these fuse holders...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/water-resi...e-holder-mx15r

And these relays...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-40a-dc...ve-relay-n02aw
    Last edited by Jezz_S13; 06-11-2014 at 21:14.

Rides
    I use Dual coil KENLOWE fans on my S13 with RB25DET... They are push fans as i dont have the room to fit pull fans, I have 4 feeds to the fans, 2x permanent (through a thermostat) and 2x switched (from a toggle switch on the dash). Being dual coil fans they have 2 speeds. Low and high. Even on the low speeds they will cool the water by 10-15 degree in under a minute (either through thermostat OR switch), On high (thermostat AND switch engaged) it cools even faster and i rarely need to use both at the same time. Its definitely worth spending the extra money and you need to put them through relays (mine have 30Amp supplies to each coil (thats 4 in total).... The ones i have are around £185 each though

Rides
    Thanks for the input guys

How would I work out the air flow needed as to work out which fans to buy? I was going to use 2 x 12" but everyone I look at has a different rating?

Rides
    Keep the viscous if you can, far better and more efficient than electric fans slapped on the rad.

Rides
    Ive ditched the viscous to make things a bit easier maintenance wise.

I purchased 2 of these:
    http://www.serckservicesmotorsport.c...848-671199.php

controlled by a kenlowe controller and they happily cool the temps a fair amount quickly.

Those size fans fit perftly on my supercool rad as well.
    People will go on about the viscous but i cant see it being any better or worse. If you get cheapo ebay fans with the pulling power of a moth then yeh, you wont get the pull like a spal or kenlowe fan.

Rides
    I use 2 x 12" fans too btw, forgot to add that...

Rides
    Thanks for the info and link nikh88 & jackm the link gives me some idea of air flow and comparing these figures to ebay fans your right HUGE difference. Time to hunt and see what I can find.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackm View Post
    Ive ditched the viscous to make things a bit easier maintenance wise.

I purchased 2 of these:
    http://www.serckservicesmotorsport.c...848-671199.php

controlled by a kenlowe controller and they happily cool the temps a fair amount quickly.

Those size fans fit perftly on my supercool rad as well.
    People will go on about the viscous but i cant see it being any better or worse. If you get cheapo ebay fans with the pulling power of a moth then yeh, you wont get the pull like a spal or kenlowe fan.
    There has been tests done on this site. It's more to do with the cowling.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redsx94! View Post
    There has been tests done on this site. It's more to do with the cowling.
    I couldn't remember if there had been or not.
    I can see, with the cowling and the viscous it's a decent setup.

Only reason I went over to electric fans is for room.
    I have been looking at my golf rad and thinking of adding something similar to the Nissan. Little ports that open up with air flow. Only thinking atm

Rides
    You could use two Evo 4 rad fans there electric and have a 2 speed function I use them and normal driving temps don't go above 80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackm View Post
    I couldn't remember if there had been or not.
    I can see, with the cowling and the viscous it's a decent setup.

Only reason I went over to electric fans is for room.
    I have been looking at my golf rad and thinking of adding something similar to the Nissan. Little ports that open up with air flow. Only thinking atm

I'm doing it for the exact same reason. I have been looking at almera 2.2 dci dual fans as I'm sure they would create enough suck and comes as part of a cowling.

I'll go have a look at the evo fans thanks dannyboi200sx

Rides
    I tried a few combinations, avoid using anything vw related for the control relay because its mostly all positive triggered.

Ended up finally with a 2007 ford focus fan, ditched the control box they come with, and run a Volvo 850 fan control relay(negative trigger, and does two fans if you wanted), with a RDX fan switch adaptor in the top pipe with a neuspeed switch for a corrado g60.

The cowling fits with minimal trimming its a slim fan and is snug, and cools spot on even with standard rad, this cools better then the after market fans i had.

so the electric fan just works independent, keeps itself running even if engine if off etc so winner.