Thread: Indicators not working.

Rides

Indicators not working.

I seem to have a problem with the indicators. they aren't coming on either side. and the dash lights aren't working for them either. For some reason it kept blowing fuses (3 over 2 months) but I replaced them and it worked. Now I've replaced the fuse, but it doesn't work at all. The fuse hasn't blown. Asked a mate and he reckoned it could be the indicator stalk Is stuffed. But wouldn't that mean the high low beam wouldn't come on?

Any help would be great. S14 '95 in case it's specific

Rides
    Could be the flasher relay or the stalk. The contacts on the stalk get a carbon build up on them that stops the electricity conducting across them.

Rides
    Also check your arch loom and the hazard light switch could also cause you problems

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclean View Post
    hazard light switch
    The S14 indicator circuits all pass through the hazard light switch, so is a good call to check.
    It's possible for the hazard switch to get caught in a halfway position, where the hazards are not on, but the indicators don't work either.

However, in this thread, there have already been blowing fuses, which suggests the problem is elsewhere.
    It's free and quick to stab the hazard switch a few times though, just in case

Rides
    Had same issue turned out to be arch loom

Rides
    Anyone know where the flasher unit is? I've checked the hazard fuse too... It was blown so now replaced.

I've heard the flasher unit is under the steering wheel. Is this where the relay is too?

Rides
    I think I've found the problem but I'd like someone to confirm it. Took a few pics to make sure but it looks like it's the problem.

As its been fried would that mean there's a short circuit somewhere?

Rides
    This too

Rides
    Ok quick update. Managed to get a replacement flasher unit in working order. Fitted and to my surprise... Still nothing.

I think it may be the arch loom but being a noob at electricals I'm not really to sure what I'm looking for if I'm honest. I know about looking for bare wire shorting out on metal etc but not to sure where to start.

Any one got any ideas?

Rides
    Another bit of update.

Now have the indicators coming on. Had the hazards working and indicators.... Then after about a min the fuses blew again. So now the flasher unit is replaced I know the indicators and hazards can come on... But they keep blowing fuses. Any indications as too what it might be?

It also seems to be trying to blow the flasher unit again. After a min it started to smell of burning so took it out. All Amber lights come on when I lock the car.

It's really confusing so if there's any electrical electrical gurus that know what's going on??

Cheers

Rides
    Did you find one at Harry Bucklands mate?