Thread: ECU chip question

Rides

ECU chip question

I have emailed H-Dev but have had no reply as of yet.

I currently have an auto S13 94 lambda which is going through a manual conversion.

I know for a manual ECU with stage 2 chip from HD which is what I need.

Would I need to have a Stage 2 chip put into my auto ECU or can I use a manual?

Thanks in advance.

Rides
    I run a stage 2 chip in my auto ecu with no problems, mines converted to manual!

Rides
    Can I used the complete manual ECU with the chip instead of my current auto one?

Rides
    im fairly sure you have to keep the auto ecu. as it has a separate circuit board inside to control all the auto stuff.

Rides
    Even if it's getting swapped out for manual transmission?

Rides
    There isn't a any difference between CA S13 auto and manual ECU other than the chip. Fit a manual chip to an auto ECU and it's a manual ECU.

Fundamental difference between ECUs is lambda / non lambda. Lambda has a transistor to switch the sensor heater on/off, non lambda has a vacant space. There is also a small 6 pin PIC chip - can't remember which has it or doesn't.

All the auto stuff is in the auto control box Had a 2nd look at manual it's stashed way up high in the dash above the ECU. That just piggy backs the ECCS signals, throttle, temp, rpm and speed from the dash. There is no "auto" data connection to ECU, it doesn't tell the ECU anything and ECU doesn't tell auto control box anything.
    Last edited by skyshack; 05-10-2014 at 19:42. Reason: Auto controller location

Rides
    Interesting.

I thought there was one difference between auto vs. manual ECU which is the ignition switch cut out unless the selector is in park or neutral.... ?

Pretty sure I have read some learning in the past about which wires to bypass / disconnect when doing a conversion ? Or is it just my misunderstanding. Never needed to pursue it as happy sticking to my auto....

I certainly wasn't aware that there was / is a separate auto control box.

Rides
    Thanks for that.

So to sum up, I can purchase a manual ECU with a stage 2 chip and it will be fine?

Rides
    And put a wire in the connector block by fusebox to bypass the inhibitor switch. If you haven't already!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwhy View Post
    Thanks for that.

So to sum up, I can purchase a manual ECU with a stage 2 chip and it will be fine?
    Yes.

Just follow the guide on how to connect the manual box sub loom to the auto loom and disable the inhibitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    Interesting.

I thought there was one difference between auto vs. manual ECU which is the ignition switch cut out unless the selector is in park or neutral.... ?

Pretty sure I have read some learning in the past about which wires to bypass / disconnect when doing a conversion ? Or is it just my misunderstanding. Never needed to pursue it as happy sticking to my auto....

I certainly wasn't aware that there was / is a separate auto control box.
    Had a 2nd look at manual it's stashed way up high in the dash above the ECU.
    The inhibitor circuit is a simple relay in the starter circuit and a complex switch on the auto gear shift. That complex switch is the auto control selector, all the shift stick does in the box is engage the parking pawl. You can get an alternative "tiptronic" type control for the auto box and use a paddle shifter.

Rides
    Thanks again guys.

Any guides on bypassing the inhibitor?

Rides
    yeah, find the lower engine loom plug for it on the engine bay fuse/relay box (it has 2 thick wires). cut the plug off your engine loom with an inch or two sticking out. solder the two wires together (put some heat shrink on first). plug it back into the fuse box.

job done.

now you have a nice little immobliser. as you can just unplug it and take it with you.

Rides
    skyshake has jogged my memory the auto ecu is a separate box that plugs in to the engine look above the ECU. has a white plug like on the dash interface plug (m53????)

do the autos have rev limmiters?

I would also take the 'full throttle' switch off the pedal to get rid of the annoying click it makes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    skyshake has jogged my memory the auto ecu is a separate box that plugs in to the engine look above the ECU. has a white plug like on the dash interface plug (m53????)

do the autos have rev limmiters?

I would also take the 'full throttle' switch off the pedal to get rid of the annoying click it makes.
    Would unplugging this white plug to the auto control box have any affects on running? My car is manual and i have that plug connected! Can i remove it?

Rides
    Anyone know if i can just unplug this?