Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Budget S14 daily driftland toy...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Looks really good on the Dare's!
    Cheers man. Yeah, theyve grown on me now...

Quiet last couple days... Been busy with work. Found a couple minutes here and there and fitted a set of carbon wind deflectors. Epr ones, made in limited numbers apparently. Got them used and pre bonded onto seal, so uncrewed and swapped full seal. Fits well, looks not bad and was cheap! Also stuck another mintfab logo onto each skirt to rep my mates buisness for drift parts.

Finally got all the missing parts I required for brake conversion... Im running r34 Gtt fronts. Similar to R33 gtst bar they have bigger 310mm discs, use m14 bolts instead of m12, and the pads cost more! picked up some ferrodo high temp rated pads from conceptua tuning for a good price. Had issues getting the m14 caliper bolts and ended up having to buy direct from nissan (£14 for 4 bolts!)

Got Z32 rear calipers, drilled discs, handbrake parts and backplate. Again ferrodo pads and was struggling to find R33 handbrake cables to finish the conversion. Eventually got a pair of brand new cables for £48 from Dingbro! for anyone wanting them they are made by Blueprint, part numbers ADN146251 and ADN146252.

Also got a Z32 BMC (BM57) which will finish the conversion off nicely...

So firstly i cleaned and checked everything was in order and present. I then put some black heat resistant paint on backing plates and disc centres. I decided to rectify my odd front calipers first... Problem is the hubs need drilled out from 12mm - 14mm due to larger m14 bolts. 3 bloody hours I was at it, and only scratched the surface and burnt out expensive drill bits. Ive never drilled metal to this extent before and was pulling my hair out. Next day my mate Taylor turns up and drills them out in 10minutes without breaking sweat. For anyone going to do this, do it in stages 13 then 14mm, and use a high torque, low speed drill. Dont use wd40 as cooling lube as it apparently hardens the metal, and keep lots of pressure and slow speed. I didnt know this, so learn from my mistake... Ha. So I then trimmed back the original front dust plate and fitted new discs, pads and calipers, using plenty copper grease. Front braided lines i got used were rubbish, so il use original flexis and try source a better pair. Quick 1st coat of sparkle vivid purple and took opportunity to underseal front arch before the salty roads arrive.

Just drove it home, and its night and day, the difference. Thats even before the pads bed in, so im very happy. Rears tomorrow after I finish work.

Rides
    Brake upgrades are always win. Looking like you got a decent setup on there now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    Brake upgrades are always win. Looking like you got a decent setup on there now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most important thing on a modified car, especially cause stock brakes are prety poo... A lot of people forget that, but then alot of peeps go overkill and run mental 8pots for a stock'ish road car. These should be the happy medium for track/daily duties, and on budget... I hope! Ha

Rides
    Looking good! I really need to get my z32 rear brake set up fitted!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    Looking good! I really need to get my z32 rear brake set up fitted!
    Be prepared with plenty of time aside!

Mega tantrum yesterday... Typical 18year old Uk Car. Every bolt put up a mega fight, which is normal, but one bolt pushed my buttons and i lost the plot whilst fitting the z32 rears... Tools thrown all over the shop... Theres a 10mm bolt that secures the handbrake cable to top of the subrame. Its tight with bottom of fuel tank... Anyway, the little f*cker decided to rot away so a 10mm spanner was to big and a 9mm was too small. Couldnt get in to hammer a socket over it, without removing subframe. Ended up having to cut what i could get at off, and have half the mount still on the subframe... My ocd does not approve. The handbrake cable under the prop also put up major resistance thanks to corrosion.

Done the conversion on my last s14, and it took roughly a couple hours a side. Was 5 hours last night just doing the drivers side just due to stubborn bolts. Had to remove the front bumper as its already on the deck without the back end jacked up... Il finish the job tonight, and i pray the nearside goes better than the offside did!

Only took one pic as I was too busy being raging!

Rides
    So... Ive been quiet the last couple weeks... Finished fitting the rear z32 brake caliper/handbrake conversion, which was a complete arse of a job... Every bolt put up a major fight, and it was cold and miserable in the garage. Therefore i was not in the frame of mind for pictures. However i assure you the spangly purple calipers, and braided hoses look braw with the better brake set up... Ha.

So, i had a week off work, and done nothing to the car, even though i have a big pile of parts building up waiting to be bolted on. Did this to keep the peace with the mrs as she isnt impressed that im always working or working on the car!

Since taking the week off, im finding it hard to get back into the fast build pace I was doing. Last week all I managed to do was load up some drift rubber and a quick oil and filter change in preperation for driftlands "superlaps" event on sat 01.11.14.

[IMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/hamis-509/89B2022E-6223-4A4C-B573-6488A6078F12_zpskbh***pm.jpg[/IMG]

Got up to driftland sharp for the briefing. Thought I would have had the new car/fresh paint jitters, but was confident enough in the car handling ok... Which it did thankfully. Couple minor issues needing ironed out. Steering was overcentering, and was super laggy feeling. Felt like i had to kick the baws off my poor clutch to keep it in boost during drift. Dont think it helps that my last rb25neo still had grunt off boost and ive gotten use to that. Overall for a basically stock sr20, the car drove well, and with a couple more tweaks it will handle and go so much better. Got a couple minor bits of damage... Couple cracks im front bumper (low car problems), lost a lens of my month old indicators (ive emailed EPR, and hope they replace it as it shouldnt be doing that!) and some delam damage.

Heres a quick video clip of it. This was my very first outing in the car, so its not the best, but happy to have kept it on the black stuff!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...2&ref=bookmark

Rides
    Same oil i use good stuff, The car is looking great now what do you plan power wise for it.

Rides
    The car is looking awesome man, nice work!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxdon View Post
    Same oil i use good stuff, The car is looking great now what do you plan power wise for it.
    Reliable and affordable power. Basically about 280bhp from "stage 1a" mods. Wanna keep stock turbo, injectors and afm to keep costs down. I chased bhp figures years ago in a s14, and wasnt worth it as it killed shafts, boxes and engines... Got full exhaust, induction, walbro pump, fmic just now. Got a greddy profec boost controller to fit, but waiting till i arrange some form of safe map whether custom nistune or generic h-dev chip. Basically want a car that i can afford to fix; if i got another 2871r, 555's and z32 afm these aint cheap and quick to replace if i pop em at track. This set up will do for at least 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by greydesigns View Post
    The car is looking awesome man, nice work!
    Cheers man.
    Last edited by hamis-509; 03-11-2014 at 13:19.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hamis-509 View Post
    Reliable and affordable power. Basically about 280bhp from "stage 1a" mods. Wanna keep stock turbo, injectors and afm to keep costs down. I chased bhp figures years ago in a s14, and wasnt worth it as it killed shafts, boxes and engines... Got full exhaust, induction, walbro pump, fmic just now. Got a greddy profec boost controller to fit, but waiting till i arrange some form of safe map whether custom nistune or generic h-dev chip. Basically want a car that i can afford to fix; if i got another 2871r, 555's and z32 afm these aint cheap and quick to replace if i pop em at track. This set up will do for at least 2015.

Cheers man.
    EXACTLY my thoughts.

These cars are easy to get to 1A power (270-290) without breaking the bank.

Anything more and it soon tally's up - injectors, turbos, coil packs, AFM's, maps etc.

I'm currently running a welded manual diff (3.6?) and I'm worried it's just not got enough grunt for some corners where 2nd feels too high but 1st is at it's limit and 3rd isn't even an option.

I think as you say, 1A mods, a decent diff (4.1, possibly even an auto 3.9) and it's a low cost very capable drifter.

I'm pretty much there minus the chip/map and the decent diff (and rear brakes thinking about it).
    Last edited by silverzx; 03-11-2014 at 13:30.

Rides
    EXACTLY my thoughts.

These cars are easy to get to 1A power (270-290) without breaking the bank.

Anything more and it soon tally's up - injectors, turbos, coil packs, AFM's, maps etc.

I'm currently running a welded manual diff (3.6?) and I'm worried it's just not got enough grunt for some corners where 2nd feels too high but 1st is at it's limit and 3rd isn't even an option.

I think as you say, 1A mods, a decent diff (4.1, possibly even an auto 3.9) and it's a low cost very capable drifter.

I'm pretty much there minus the chip/map and the decent diff (and rear brakes thinking about it).
    Brakes make a huge difference. My r34/z32/r33 frakenstein set up is awesome for the weight of my car. Handbrakes mega too, but sadly overheats and fades to quickly, so will have to fit the hydro...

Yeah, ive got a 3:9 stock welder, but car felt lazy with it. I think the r33 gtst 4:11 ratio will be perfect to liven it up, and introduce 3rd gear at driftland more often without the clutch abuse. Looking forward to it coming together for spring...

Rides
    Brakes make a huge difference. My r34/z32/r33 frakenstein set up is awesome for the weight of my car. Handbrakes mega too, but sadly overheats and fades to quickly, so will have to fit the hydro...

Yeah, ive got a 3:9 stock welder, but car felt lazy with it. I think the r33 gtst 4:11 ratio will be perfect to liven it up, and introduce 3rd gear at driftland more often without the clutch abuse. Looking forward to it coming together for spring...
    I've heard the standard rear brakes aren't to bad with a hydro? Or is that likely to be boll0cks? I have Z32's up front so nice and light!

So basically I need a R33 4.1. Which is bad news, as they cost a lot..

Rides
    I've heard the standard rear brakes aren't to bad with a hydro? Or is that likely to be boll0cks? I have Z32's up front so nice and light!

So basically I need a R33 4.1. Which is bad news, as they cost a lot..
    My mate s.taylor has ran a hydro on stock rears without issue for a couple years. As long as you have good pads it will be fine... However they like a seize, and overall braking force is much better with bigger rear brakes and bmc to match... Remember tho; a hydro give a shite pedal feel and a bit extra travel. U wont notice it after a couple miles driving but at first it feels like it hasnt been bleed properly! Ha

Nah, should get a cheap enough r33 diff. I bought one for my r34 for only £50, as i didnt wanna weld the stock r34 torsen diff. If you search hard enough, you should find shafts and diff for under £100...
    Last edited by hamis-509; 03-11-2014 at 13:59.

Rides
    My mate s.taylor has ran a hydro on stock rears without issue for a couple years. As long as you have good pads it will be fine... However they like a seize, and overall braking force is much better with bigger rear brakes and bmc to match... Remember tho; a hydro give a shite pedal feel and a bit extra travel. U wont notice it after a couple miles driving but at first it feels like it hasnt been bleed properly! Ha

Nah, should get a cheap enough r33 diff. I bought one for my r34 for only £50, as i didnt wanna weld the stock r34 torsen diff. If you search hard enough, you should find shafts and diff for under £100...
    Ok that's good news! I'm running yellow pads with some random grooved disks at the moment on the rear. Hand brake locks in the wet but struggles to do much in the dry!

So I'd need an R33 (non abs?) diff and shafts? That's all that's needed? Diff and shafts? It's same flange / bolts straight up to the prop?

Rides
    maaaan I love the look of her...and that kit!!!
    Hopefully more progress will be done, but I know that "cold-weather-phenomena" too well...which makes me do nothing on the car

Rides
    Any more updates Hamy?

Rides
    Car looks good man, seen it on the road a few week ago

Rides
    Been a busy, long, cold winter for me... Havent done anything to the car since my last post, other than I fixed the blower motor which started making mad vibrations and noises... Turns out a bolt had been sooked in and had jammed in the fan. Nice quick and cheap fix, allowing a working heater again for my winter daily. Ive managed to drive the car everyday, without fault, throughout winter! Its been challenging in the snow however, with 10j's all round and stretched summer tyres!

As I said Ive been mega busy the last three months... Mainly growing a moustache for Movember, buying a new house and then starting renovating and extending it... Its got a garage, and im hoping to extend the existing garage and build a second, so I have one to paint in and the other to store and work on cars... So this is the reason ive not been working on the car! One small problem with it tho! The current driveway is a bit steep, so the car scrapes coming and going. Its a quiet street, and I think the neighbours nearly fainted when they seen me rumble into town...

Other than driving it to and from work, Ive done no track days or drifting... Only thing of note is I done a small shoot at local spots with Ross Callaghan, at the start of December. Ross is a good lad, and got a couple good pics Im very happy with...

Basically hadnt cleaned the car since I done the shoot, as I have been that busy, but cleaned it today, and now have an itch I must scratch, so think Im gonna pop up to driftland for a play on sunday...

I still have a garage full of parts waiting to be fitted, so soon as I have time, I'll stop pretending im a builder, and go back to pretending im a mechanic and painter...
    Last edited by hamis-509; 05-02-2015 at 02:22.

Rides
    Looks good still mate.

Personally think the wind deflectors should go.

And your toe hitch needs a lick of paint.. Not feeling the purple!

(This ain't a dig, just my opinion)..

Rides
    Love the pics, especially the snowy one at your house good to see she serves you well in the winter too