Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget S14 daily driftland toy...

Rides

Budget S14 daily driftland toy...

Quick background check...

Ive always owned rwd cars and always fancied myself as a "drifter"... Started going to events 4 years ago through the sxoc ran crail drift events... At this time i realised i had alot to learn...

Back then I had a s14a which i had spent ALOT of money on, mainly in labour costs... I always keep reciepts and was knocking on £20k! It was stage3a, 350hp, and NOT the car to be learning in...

Was counter productive, scared to push incase i damaged it... So sold it... Bought it back and ended up spending more on it with wide arches and carbon. Drifting called again, and again i was holding back so sold it again. Shame, as it was a beautiful car. Always wished i had done a build thread, so making sure I start one for this build.

Ended up buying a £350 e36 328i to learn in. Best thing i ever did. Driving under powered and a cheap car taught me loads about drifting and i got a tool box and learned to work and build it myself. Had a strict £2k build budget and made an old shit e36 in to a great spec learner car... Ultimatly i thought the grass was greener on the other side and wanted fancy jap toys back. I took the car to a missle event and smashed it up to break for parts. I miss this car and is still one of the most reliable fun cars Ive ever owned...

Next up came my dream car... An R34 in my favoured colour yellow. GTT manual in rare yellow. Had a max budget of £8k to buy and build and achieved with loads to spare (alwas set budgets or spending gets outta hand!). Super cool car but heavy and too nice to smash up (loads of close ones, check the video below!)... Done about 20 track days over year and was a great daily, but i fancied a car i could abuse again and afford to fix if things go bang (rb25 neos aint cheap!), so sold it last month.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Im29xl2jfWk

So what next? Z3 2.8? S13? S14? Hmmm

Rides
    Most people told me s14's were overpriced and all rotters these days. I was determined to prove them wrong and build a widearched well spec'd and set up s14 for about £4k.

Picked this up 4 weeks ago... Below average miles, NO RUST, handful of owners, running stock boost/recirc valve. Looked and sounded rough but seen potential past the faded paint, dented wings, noisy ass shot gun, odd front calipers (1 s14 caliper & 1 r33 caliper) and poor overall presentation... Previous owner had it 3 years and done all the mods, and done a handful of drift days at the pod. It appeared to not have had that hard a life at all. For £3k i couldnt resist...

Had a few decent mods with half cage, welder, apex drift coilevers, camber/toe adjustable arms, rays wheels, grip royal wheel, apex intercooler, apexi induction kit, and sparco bucket seat...

Rides
    Was not a fan of the wheels or exhaust, so sold the wheels and exhaust for strong money, and picked up a dirt cheap apexi system and an uber bargain set of 3 piece split autostrada modena II's 8.5/10j's to do for the time being...

Rides
    Next came a flurry or dirt cheap parts from all the guys breaking up there cars. Postman had a busy day. Loadsa bits but the main ones for this part of the story were the kit... When your building to a budget you take what you can get... I wanted to build a full rocket bunny rep... and managed to source a 2nd hand rear bumper and skirts. They were smashed to shit but priced accordingly... If never worked at fixing fibreglass but figured "how hard can it be?" Ha. Also managed to get cheap chargespeed wings and overfenders in excellent condition, and a d-max roof spoiler... Couldnt find a rocket bunny spoiler or front bumper at this stage so the search continued...

Rides
    Next gotta decide a colour... Going by my last cars, its clear I like bright coloured cars, in particular yellow. Thought I would go for stock nissan Ev1 yellow. I was painting the car myself. Its my first ever paint job, so i wasnt expecting miracles, however I was aware its all about the prep work... I have access to my mates small side garage at his buisness. I took 8 days off work and aimed to have it painted in this time. Time was tight and decided not to tubb arches and fit overfenders at this time... I also decided i was gonna try do it properly and paint the inside of the doors and boot.

Car jacked up, wheels off, doors off, boot off...

Rides
    So car was prep'd for primer. Got all the proper paint and yellow filler primer which wasnt cheap... Got my mate to show us how to mix paint then i fired on trying to work out technique for a good finish... Put full car in primer and painted the inside of doors/boot/checks yellow, so i could put it back together for paint... At this point i welded up the ariel hole in nearside rear 1/4 and the boot spoiler holes, and smoothed em over... Also removed the rear wiper and washer for a smoother less clutered look.

Rides
    Next came the time consuming wet sanding... It is a drift car, but i wanted the best finish i could possibly achieve... I also cut out holes for the locking aerocatches, and bonnet naca duct. I then painted the main body... And bolted all the bits back on... Tbh i wasnt happy... It had a couple runs, dry spots and wasnt thick enough for a good wet sand and polish... i was running out of time at this point... I had three days left and a dilema what to do...

Rides
    I decided to ignore the main car for the time being and focus on repairing the skirts and rear bumper which were smashed. Turns out fibreglass'in isnt easy, but if your paitent at building up and methodical in your approach you can fix anything. After fixing the least damaged skirt as a tester, i was very happy. I had good results and nipped into the main garage to show my mates the good finish i had achieved. I thereafter left said mint skirt on the floor to nip to the toilet and when i got back i seen it had been ran over by a citreon picasso and smashed it in two... Never took any pictures as i was too devastated... Ha.

Anyway, it took days to repair the panels which put me behind. I also removed and smoothed over the headlight washers in the front bumper. I started back at work on the wednesday, and decided i would paint the full car again at the same time as the now repaired bumpers that i had primed... At this point my mrs was not impressed as i had been pulling at least 12hours a day, to get the job done as i was doing everything myself to save money...

Rides
    The weekend came and the task of sanding down my original paint began. Tedious and dis-heartening... Remask and paint having a better idea from learning from my mistakes the previous weekend... The finish i got was 10 times better. I was very happy. I thereafter riveted the skirts, vent and rear bumper on, and front bumper using bumper fastners. Stuck a silvia bonnet badge, usdm spec clear side repeaters, 12"x6" plates and aero catches... The car was road worthy again...

Rides
    Enjoyed the car last week and made time for the mrs and to enjoy my BMX. Stayed away from the garage as i was sick of it but managed to source a rocket bunny duck tail spoiler and R34 GTT front brakes!

Rides
    F#CK SAKE. On the road for a week and some c#nt in a transit van drives into me on Monday...

Smashed sidelight, wing and bumper. I probably could fix the bumper, but bit the bullet and ordered a rocket bunny effort from EPR as my insurance say they will cover costs. Im opting to repair it myself as i dont trust another garage to write it off as its only an "old nissan"... Yesterday i removed wing and bumper. Its not too bad i guess. Wing needs some rebuilding at all the mounting points and the metal that everything mounts to was coaxed back to shape with a hammer. Thankfully it was only cosmetic damage...

I started to rebuild the wing yesterday with my newly found skillof working with fibreglass, and its looking good and straight again. Just gotta sand it down, quick skim of filler then its ready for paint. Whilst im at it, il paint my rocket bunny spoiler and overfenders. Maybe even tub arches this weekend for preperatiom for overfenders and wheels. Im off tomorrow, so il put a decent shift in...

So it looks like no driftland birthday bash event skids for me this weekend...

Rides
    Looks like you know what your doing. Fair play to you.

Rides
    Awesome. BMX and nice cars, good combo. Pretty shitty getting hit after all that hard work!

Rides
    Great project thread so far, looking good!

Rides
    Was just getting ready to post "nice one Craig!" Then saw someone crashed into you. Nightmare man! Glad it's on the mend.

Rides
    love this thread already, and also the attitude
    keep it up,...glad the van didnt do too much damage, truly sickening

Rides
    Awesome thread (apart from getting crashed into) paint looks really good for someone self taught I need to man up splash out for some paint and have a go

Rides
    Well done look forward to the next phase ( give her some flowers say how much you miss her )

Rides
    Oooo i liked your Orange S14a, and E36 and R34!

S14 is looking good too.

when you did the paint prep did you use air sanders?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    Looks like you know what your doing. Fair play to you.
    Lol, i have no idea what im doing... Bimbling along working it out as I go...

Quote Originally Posted by chris-a View Post
    Awesome. BMX and nice cars, good combo. Pretty shitty getting hit after all that hard work!
    BMX and drifting... Think im peter pan...

Quote Originally Posted by inliner_04 View Post
    Great project thread so far, looking good!
    Cheers man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross. View Post
    Was just getting ready to post "nice one Craig!" Then saw someone crashed into you. Nightmare man! Glad it's on the mend.
    Raging mate. Ha, but onwards and upwards i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by nessie View Post
    love this thread already, and also the attitude
    keep it up,...glad the van didnt do too much damage, truly sickening
    If i didnt laugh man, i would have cried... then leathered the white van man into next week. Il be back rolling in it again this weekend better than before hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by dkgates2277 View Post
    Awesome thread (apart from getting crashed into) paint looks really good for someone self taught I need to man up splash out for some paint and have a go
    Ive watched my mate paint for years so had a rough idea what to do... Give it a go though. All in the paint and bits cost me £240... It would have easy cost me £2000+ for a paintshop to do the same work...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Well done look forward to the next phase ( give her some flowers say how much you miss her )
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
    Oooo i liked your Orange S14a, and E36 and R34!

S14 is looking good too.

when you did the paint prep did you use air sanders?
    Ha cheers man. Done it all by hand. Seem to get better results doing it slowly and carefully by hand with a block...

Got tied up with shit today so didnt get masses done... Sanded down wings, skim of filler then a test fit and its mint again... Also sanded the spoiler and one of the overfenders ready for primer tomorrow... Hadnt been preped originally so loadsa rough shit edges, and the paint that was on them was lumpy and flaky in bits... Pain in the arse, but sorted now...

[/QUOTE]