Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else get the itch for a different car?

Rides

Does anyone else get the itch for a different car?

So it keeps going through my mind that Im bored with my 200, when Im really happy with - Minus the crappy gearbox.

So today I was looking at other nice fast cars for the same price region that my 14 would probably sell for, but I literally couldn't find anything that I would trade for.

Does anyone else get like that and what cars do people look at?

Rides
    i get that all the time mate but so far have not found anything else that i would want instead!1 i just end up looking at bmw 1 series and audi a3's etc etc. never look at other fast cars as i seem to head towards the more sensible things! even thought i dont want to go ''sensible'' just never found anything i fancied instead! decided to keep it a plow more money into having a fun car to drive that shocks most fancy cars ive come across!!

Rides
    I keep toying with the idea of a 350z, but they arent half as nippy as a tuned s14, in spite of being a better car overall.

There simply isnt anything else out there, that does what an s-body does, as well as it does, for the same price.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattharvey12 View Post
    So today I was looking at other nice fast cars for the same price region that my 14 would probably sell for, but I literally couldn't find anything that I would trade for.
    What a vehicle is 'worth' ie what it'll sell for and the value you place on it aren't necessarily the same thing - moreover the more important thing is actually what does it cost you to run and maintain rather than what does it cost you to buy outright.

If your car is worth £4k you'll struggle to buy anything that'll have the outright straight line performance of a 200 but you'll get cars that are more or similar amounts of fun, even if that fun is derived in different ways - ie bends/track.

But then what's to stop you ploughing £6k into a car that'll not depreciate terribly, won't need a lot of maintenance / expensive replacement parts, will be more economical, less to insure, you won't feel the need to modify etc, and will still be resale heavy when push comes to shove? Actually, that's the cheapest form of happy motoring.

Go drive something different, just get stuck in, see what you fancy, do the man-maths, and make your mind up from there.

And then buy a motorcycle.

Rides
    I don't think I'd ever touch a motorcycle after that thread about the video - and your updates for the ride around Wales you did.

Rides
    Yes, I did for a long time, nd I made the jump and don't regret it at all. Go drive the other things you are thinking of, and see if they inspire you. If they don't then it may renew your love for your S Body. If they do, then get selling

Quote Originally Posted by munkul View Post
    There simply isnt anything else out there, that does what an s-body does, as well as it does, for the same price.
    I beg to differ. FD RX7s, tuned Soarers, R32/33 GTSTs, FI MX5s, etc

Rides
    As much as I love 200s and as much as I hated my RX7, I think everyone should experience an FD RX7 at least once in ownership. The chassis is beautiful and the engines when they work are lovely.

However, with every RX7 purchase comes great heartache. Or financial ruin. Or both.

Rides
    I've always said I'd sell my 13 when I found something better.

I always have 3-4 other cars and bikes and the S13 has never made it to the bottom of the list and got sold.

I had a 14a that got to the bottom of this list and got sold so I could house something else.

S13
    Fireblade
    Honda race bike
    Gokart
    S14a

I've had quite a few cars and bikes in the 16 years I've had the 13 but the 13s never dropped far from the top of the list.

Currently the list is...

S13
    Aprilia RSV4
    Impreza
    The hateful Civic of shame

I'll get rid of the Civic soon.
    Probably the Aprilia and Impreza will go next year.
    S13 is about to get some more car and attention over the winter.

I guess what I am saying is, try other cars if you can but if you have to sell your 200 to do it, don't be surprised if you regret it and then can't find one as nice when you want to return to the fold.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 19-09-2014 at 08:16.

Rides
    Just goes to show how personal opinion varies, whereas Jonny rates his S13 above the S14a, for me it was the other way around.

You get different things from different cars, I still rate the Prodrive RX8 i had as the best all round car I have had despite relatively low power.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Just goes to show how personal opinion varies, whereas Jonny rates his S13 above the S14a, for me it was the other way around.

You get different things from different cars, I still rate the Prodrive RX8 i had as the best all round car I have had despite relatively low power.
    It was a tough call as both had similar values and similar mileage at the time and were both quite close to standard. It came down to the S13 being more practical and a bit more of a "seat of the pants" driver. I do still miss the 14a a little bit but I think I made the right decision.

Rides
    Yup. Glad I did. Now potentially need something different for work so might not get to use it how I'd envisaged and might regret that bit

Rides
    I'm always swapping my daily cars, because I have a 'to own' list and am working at it slowly but my s13 is my baby/project.

Best car I've owned for chassis handling is my mk2 mx5, just flew round corners but slow everywhere else.

My s13s have always done it all imo, comfortable when set up right, fast in a straight line and round corners, iconic looks etc.

But a few cars I want to own in the next few years are

Fd rx7
    E46 m3 (with a supercharger)
    Supra mk4 tt
    Aristo with a 1jz manual
    R32 gtr
    A v8 amg just for the noise

Basically their all roughly the same price, so I buy one and use for a while then sell on and get another, I happily admit I lose a few quid here and there because I'm ocd and like to tidy things up but I enjoy everything I own one way or another. But I always turn back to my s13 for out and out hooligan fun

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    If they don't then it may renew your love for your S Body. If they do, then get selling
    or do what I do and keep everything on the off-chance you might drive it one sunny day in June

Rides
    As above, you'll regret selling it and then you'll come crawling back. I did. Well, it was stolen but still.

Rides
    Very interesting opinions!

I will always miss my old Civic, just because I did under 10 minutes at Nurburgring.

I would love to own an Rx7 but Ive always said that my 200 will be my last modified car.

Rides
    Why, are you going to top yourself after selling it??

Rides
    Ive had simillar thoughts for a long time.
    Never found anything that got my pulse racing like my 14a does.

The trouble is, Ive had her 10 years now and the tin worm has taken hold. Currently my thoughts are devided between 'Its worth nothing, I cant sell it' and 'its worth nothing its not worth paying silly amounts to sort the shell out'.

Rides
    I want an E46 M3, and it'll probably be my next car. Can't afford that and the 14 atm though, and can't bring myself to sell the Nissan.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Sendout View Post
    Ive had simillar thoughts for a long time.
    Never found anything that got my pulse racing like my 14a does.

The trouble is, Ive had her 10 years now and the tin worm has taken hold. Currently my thoughts are devided between 'Its worth nothing, I cant sell it' and 'its worth nothing its not worth paying silly amounts to sort the shell out'.

What you need is man maths !

What would you buy to replace it ? Let's say the replacement would cost 5K. In 5 years it would be worth about a grand probably so 4K depreciation in 5 years.

Your 14 is worth about a grand. If you spend 4K on getting the body sorted properly it will last you another 5 years and be worth about a grand at the end of it.

So, now that the money works out at even-stevens, which are you going to enjoy more ? Your 14 or what you were going to buy ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    I want an E46 M3, and it'll probably be my next car. Can't afford that and the 14 atm though, and can't bring myself to sell the Nissan.
    Swap with MEL for a month. He'll realise he needs another 200 and you'll realise a Bimmer would be a mistake