Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs of bad rings

Rides

Signs of bad rings

So recently the car has started smoking on idle occasionally. Has started since I done pigeon mod, decat and removed silencer.

After a bit of driving it seems to clear itself and come back occasionally. It's not too bad but def noticeable considering I can see it in my mirror when sat in traffic but a quick blip of the throttle and it doesn't get any worse.

Haven't lost any oil either so bit baffled.

Is this just a sign of turbo seals or could it be rings? Plan on doing a compression test this week. Also car doesn't get used much sits there for a week or 2 and comes out at weekends.

Currently using 5w40 oil with an oil change happening next week to 10w50.

Read a bit about symptoms of sr20 ring failure but they all seem to be epic fails with dipsticks blowing out and oil dripping from manifolds etc which I def don't have lol

Rides
    I seem to have a very similar problem

Rides
    If it was rings would'nt it smoke all the time? most likely to be turbo oil seals. Standard turbos tend to push oil past the rear seal at 14 + psi.

Rides
    Yeah that's what I thought tbh mate.

Its only running 0.7bar was turned down coupe months ago from a bar. So it could be turbo seal although they were only done a year ago

Rides
    My turbo lasted 8 months at a bar then started smoking. You need a staggered real oil seal when running a bar or over.

Rides
    Was yours just smoking on idle too?

I'm thinking it may well be that. As its only became noticeable since removing bov and doing pigeon mod and putting decat on. So perhaps the pigeon mod is letting oil past the seal where its putting pressure on the core and causing it to smoke :/ clutching at straws lol hoping its def not rings but as you said it would surely smoke constantly if so

Rides
    I would say that dying turbo oil seals are the most likely explanation.
    S14 piston rings are not mentioned very often on the forum outside of full-on rebuild threads.

My own original turbo died: long winded description here:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post5290794

Rides
    Seems identical to my issue mate. Good thrashing seemed to solve it until parked up for week, then it occurred again. Sat on my mates drive at and angle was when first noticed it. Never seems to smoke on boost or that either as asked a mate behind if it was chucking out smoke.

Glad its could just be that took a lot of worry off lol as got day at pod in couple weeks ahaha

Mate up rating his turbo soon so may have to have his s15 t28r from him and get that rebuilt and slap it on

Rides
    Mine smoked on idle and while driving prob because my oil seals had completly disintergrated!. t28r will b more responsive but quite expensive to have rebuilt.

Rides
    Are you sure its not just running rich? Youve fitted aftermarket parts and its not been custom mapped to suit? Until my car was mapped it used to smoke when left to idle for 5 minutes or so.

Rides
    It could well be tbh but its kind of blue smoke time will tell

Rides
    I thought it looked blue too, but it never used even a drop of oil and the smoke used to smell so fuelly.

Rides
    If you are doing a compression test that should identify ring problems. Once you have done it put a drop of oil around the top of the piston and do it again. If compression goes up then its a ring problem!

Rides
    How am I ment to put a drop of oil round the piston?

Rides
    Sorry wasn't the best description. In through the spark plug hole. A small amount of oil around the top of the piston where it meets the cylinder. The idea is that it helps the rings to seal so if compression goes up significantly then the rings weren't sealing very well in the first place!

Rides
    But that makes no sense....

As I could pour any liquid in there and worn rings or not it would show higher compression surely as its still effectively making the compression chamber smaller therefore higher compression

Rides
    that's why you use a very small amount. You would only do it if your compression is low as it shows that it is the rings and not anything else, like a cracked head etc. And it would be a significant increase.

Rides
    Ah yeah that would make sense, sorry not long up lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scotch_kris View Post
    Ah yeah that would make sense, sorry not long up lol
    Haha no worries dude.

Rides
    Aargh. That was a missed opportunity for a bit mischief