Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In car Raspberry Pi ideas please

Rides

In car Raspberry Pi ideas please

Hello folks, I've had a raspberry pi sitting in its box completely unused for well over a year and I've been toying with ideas on how to use it. I would really like to use it somewhere in the cabin of my car perhaps as a gauge or a reverse camera or something fun. I don't know. So I thought some of you guys might be able to inspire me!

Rides
    When it first came out on the market, I boughylt one with an idea of making a carpc from it. It was going to be a simple job, just using xbmc. I got stuck with touchscreen drivers, as I dont know how to install them. Iv putted some sort of linux on it, that had drivers working, but never got the chance to make it work with xbmc built. I think it was called raspbmc or something like that.

Dont know how it all stands today as I sold mine soon after I failed with my install, but I guess its working today. Please reply if you make it work, as I would try it again.

And if you need it only for the camera, any touchscreen has a camera video in, so nothing else is really needed. But with xbmc you get a nice multimedia center in your car. Only thing missing from it is navy and some gauges software. Thats why I bought a laptop to try making a real carpc, but never get the time to work on it.

Rides
    Looking at something simular to work with ECU talk but the usb needs the .net frame work to work.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Thread here looking at using android boxes. Might be some useful stuff in it for you

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=557851

Rides
    Tbh for a car pc nowadays, i wouldnt look any further than a 7 inch android tablet which can do most of your multimedia stuff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by karlf View Post
    Tbh for a car pc nowadays, i wouldnt look any further than a 7 inch android tablet which can do most of your multimedia stuff.
    This

Nail a Nexus 7 to your dash and jobs-a-goodun

(not quite that simple but deffinately the way to go)

Rides
    Iv read that nexus has problems with dac sound sometimes, and I dont see a good thing using a tablet audio with 3.5mm connector.
    Andoid would already be in ma car, if nissan had app for android to read the gauges. Only way to do that is to change ecu to vems,ms or some other. As nistune doesnt support android, and development is too slow, so I dont expect i for another 10 years

Rides
    Some good points there actually.
    Its something Ive thought about doing but not really THOUGHT about to be honest.

Im still using one of these
    OQO.jpg

Rides
    That's still cool though. How does that dongle interface with your ecu?

Rides
    You could probably try and use it as a gauge interface. Send a load of signals to it for which you have the sensor characteristic curves then you could have one screen with boost, oil temp, water temp, oil pressure, air temp etc etc and not have many gauges scattered around the cabin. Known high quality sensors so you'd be confident of an accurate measurement too.

I'd like something similar integrated with a media system on my car but haven't got round to designing it. Hate having gauges everywhere and having a selectable screen through a multimedia interface with a separate alarm setup would be quite slick.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Sendout View Post
    Some good points there actually.
    Its something Ive thought about doing but not really THOUGHT about to be honest.

Im still using one of these
    OQO.jpg
    What is that??

Rides
    This is precisely what I want. But I have no idea how to begin setting it up
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    You could probably try and use it as a gauge interface. Send a load of signals to it for which you have the sensor characteristic curves then you could have one screen with boost, oil temp, water temp, oil pressure, air temp etc etc and not have many gauges scattered around the cabin. Known high quality sensors so you'd be confident of an accurate measurement too.

I'd like something similar integrated with a media system on my car but haven't got round to designing it. Hate having gauges everywhere and having a selectable screen through a multimedia interface with a separate alarm setup would be quite slick.

Rides
    What about using an pi accelerometer to do things under hard breaking and using actuators to move a wing to function as an air brake? Possible link into the speed signal somehow so it only works above say 70mph. Would look a bit daft it coming up when doing 5 mph coming up to a set of lights.
    Or possibly flash the hazards under extreme breaking?

Something a bit different for an SX

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    That's still cool though. How does that dongle interface with your ecu?
    It plugs into the diagnostic port in the drivers footwell.

Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    What is that??
    Its an OQO micro PC running a FULL version of XP.

Rides
    Cool idea, not a huge fan of wings but this would be smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    What about using an pi accelerometer to do things under hard breaking and using actuators to move a wing to function as an air brake? Possible link into the speed signal somehow so it only works above say 70mph. Would look a bit daft it coming up when doing 5 mph coming up to a set of lights.
    Or possibly flash the hazards under extreme breaking?

Something a bit different for an SX

Rides
    Is there a diagnostic port on s13s???

Rides
    Cool idea, not a huge fan of wings but this would be smart.
    Would be cool to keep the original spoiler and have the workings in the boot lid. Nothing OTT just simple and sleek but functional

Rides
    Well, most s13's come with ready-made holes in the boot, so should be an easy job
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Would be cool to keep the original spoiler and have the workings in the boot lid. Nothing OTT just simple and sleek but functional

Rides
    Can you run Flash on the Pi?

Might be simpler to write your own interface in Flash that displays the output of the sensors..... That's what most OEMs do believe it or not

Rides
    That seems a reasonable idea. But I'm also interested in what sensors I need that would be compatible with the s13 and the pi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Can you run Flash on the Pi?

Might be simpler to write your own interface in Flash that displays the output of the sensors..... That's what most OEMs do believe it or not