Thread: engine rebuild advise

Rides

engine rebuild advise

so im saving up to get me engine rebuilt soon and im after some advise on a few things!!

so im thinking if i sauce the following it should be cheaper compared to getting the engine shop to provide them!?

full engine gasket kit
    up-rated head bolts

was thinking these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3313079551...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1503257167...84.m1423.l2649

i think they replace the standard bearings with acl race bearings anyway so will leave them to do that if they do but will make sure to ask and if they don't i shall supply them with those too!

they said i might need to get a crank if its damaged beyond repair too so hopefully i didn't do any damage to that when the bottom end went!

any advise on the parts linked would be great and any thoughts on what else i could do to keep costs down would be great

cheers Rich

Rides
    If you're able to strip the block down yourself then take it to a reputable machine shop to get your crank, bores and pistons checked that'd keep the cost down quite a bit. Only do so if you're confident doing it and know what to look for when diagnosing a problem such as a spun shell etc.

Those gasket kits are good from latvia, i've ordered parts from them a few times, i'd be tempted to put an uprated head gasket on there though as you're rebuilding it.

Also what happened to your bottem end?

Rides
    ye was thinking about getting a upgraded hg as i dont know where im going power wise! not too much as im keeping standard internals for now and i wouldnt feel that confident in taking it apart myself as i have no room to be a peedo about setting things out so i know where they go and most importantly dont have the correct tools! could take out the crankand take that first but thought i might aswell let them have the whole engine at same time

Rides
    any more advise out there

are those head stud/boltkits the correct 1's?

wheres the best place to buy either item?

Rides
    Funky Power seem to be good value for head and block studs these days. Don't forget Mazworx.

Rides
    if keeping stock internals, then why bother uprating the head studs? Waste of time considering you can run 400bhp+ easily on stock head bolts. they are massive beefy things and stretch bolts are MUCH easier to work with (no re-torquing).

bottom end studs - same deal. Dont need em unless you're going for silly hp.

Same goes for head gasket. Buy a genuine nissan one though, cheap ones are a waste of time/money.

As for bearings, stock nissan ones are as good as anything else and you can actually size them correctly (making them so much better than ACL's one size fits all). Or Cosworth - they offer them in a few sizes.
    Last edited by munkul; 08-09-2014 at 15:40.