Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what axle stands and trolley jack

Rides

Unhappy what axle stands and trolley jack

Hi Guys, I wanted to get my self some axle stands and trolley jack to make it easier to work on my s14. so i bought these two from my local parts shop
    sealey axle stands vs2003
    sealey trolley jack 1015cx

IMG_8532.jpgIMG_8529.jpg

The axle stands look fine to me but the trolley jack has issues while it dose jack the car up to remove the wheel fine, it dose not jack the car high enough to put the axle stands under.

So my question is what trolley track would you guys recommend and are my axle stands OK?

Thanks

Rides
    This is a minimum, depending on how low you are you may struggle the handle to work when jacking up the rear. If you drive on a brick it's fine tho. Works perfectly on the front.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...profile-trolle

This is also decent:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...ft-low-profile

Rides
    I've got those stands and they've done me well over the years. Only thing I don't really like about them is the shape of the cups. It might be worth lining them with rubber as they can slip when put under parts that are undersealed.

That jack though is barely powerful enough to lift the car at the front.

If you don't need something you can easily chuck in your car to go to the track, then I'd go with a long 3-tonne jack like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-115...-/180768412921

Max saddle height is 435mm
    Heavy though.

Rides
    Thanks Jonny it's good to know that the stands are OK. I will have a look at jacks that you both recommend. I won't be taking it anywhere so weight is not an issue.

Rides
    I can't personally recommend the jack I linked to it was just to give you an idea of the sort of thing. I.e. more than 1.5 tonne and long reach preferably with 4 wheels not 2 and a roller

Rides
    Thanks. Advice much appreciated.

Rides
    Before a friend on mine lent me his jack to keep at my place as he's got no where to keep it, I was after one of these -

jacks http://www.workshopping.co.uk/produc...acility/31481/

He has lent me his axle stands too and they look pretty much the same as what you've got and i find the shape of them a bit wierd and use blocks of wood to reduce the curve of the mounts. Also because they are the rachet type with no safety pins they scare the heck out of me

Rides
    the new blue point low entry yes its expensive but goes under everything and lifetime warranty(you may have to moan if it does break tho).

Rides
    i got tis 1 when machine mart had a no vat day and discount on clarke products

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...inium-garage-j

works lovely when lifting up front and rear of mine and with a small plank of wood under it goes wherever needed underneath!!

Rides
    What surface do you have when jacking the car up ?
    A low entry, high lift jack can be a wonderful thing. But if you are on a surface where the jack wheels cannot roll easily, you'll end up damaging the underside of the car.

You need something like a pro garage floor of smooth concrete to make good use of a good jack.

Rides
    im on block pavers and never had any problems jacking!

Rides
    from experience the machine mart/clarke low entrys are utter shite. now got a low entry arcan from costco. had it about 3 years and gets used constantly down my unit and hasn't missed a beat so far. very well priced too imo.

Rides
    I've got the biggest Clarke low entry steel jack and I couldn't ask for anything more from a jack. Is super low and lifts pretty high. Makes working on the 200 so much easier than a small jack

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by racs View Post
    im on block pavers and never had any problems jacking!
    It can be an issue.
    I've moved house twice over the last 5years, going from soft tarmac which jack wheels would sink into (at least in the Summer) to a block paved drive which prevented jack wheels rollng properly, to my current house where I have a sloping gravel driveway where Health and Safety people would probably suggest that jacking a car up on it is a bad idea

I have a short chassis jack which can in theory lift to 510mm, which is brilliant, but not on my driveway

Rides
    Just get a block of wood between the car and jack. Then u will have more lift

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nash`s View Post
    from experience the machine mart/clarke low entrys are utter shite. now got a low entry arcan from costco. had it about 3 years and gets used constantly down my unit and hasn't missed a beat so far. very well priced too imo.
    Another vote for the Arcan. I got mine for a crazy cheap price of about £80 a couple years back but it's a god send and worth the prices they are now selling for without a doubt
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Another vote for the Arcan. I got mine for a crazy cheap price of about £80 a couple years back but it's a god send and worth the prices they are now selling for without a doubt
    that is really cheap, I've seen 2nd hand ones go on ebay for £120 plus

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Yeah I know. It was either on offer at costco or they messed the prices up
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Arcan sounds pretty good to me thanks for all the suggestions.

Rides
    Check out the range of Jacks from SGS Engineering.