Thread: Looking for a new laptop.

Rides

Looking for a new laptop.

Hi,

Im looking for a new laptop and not being up these things these days I thought Id see what people on here recommend as I know there are some a lot more knowledgeable than me on here on this sort of thing.

I have a budget of £500 max, defo cant go over that, but I need to get a fairly decent WiFi printer/scanner too out of that so Im looking at more like £400.

It will be basically be used for internet stuff but will need to be ok running photoshop and lightroom and have a 15.6'' screen minimum.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Rich.

Rides
    I have a acer i7 ultrabook it's very well made with excellent battery life etc and handles everything I ask it to do well....

The i7 is well over your budget, but I think the i5 meets it and should share most of the same quality of the range

Rides
    Ebuyer.com have some pretty good deals on atm

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    I have a acer i7 ultrabook it's very well made with excellent battery life etc and handles everything I ask it to do well....

The i7 is well over your budget, but I think the i5 meets it and should share most of the same quality of the range
    Il have a look, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadBin View Post
    Ebuyer.com have some pretty good deals on atm
    Been looking on Ebuyer, Ive seen this this:- http://www.ebuyer.com/630026-hp-pavi...op-f5c21ea-abu. Any good?

Been to look in PC world today and they have this:-http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-15-g094sa-15-6-laptop-purple-10011517-pdt.html

The bloke in Pc world was saying its a new out laptop and is meant to be £500 but on offer for £350 but the one in the Ebuyer link has a better processor by the look of it for an extra £30. My wife liked this one :- http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...11282-pdt.html but to me doesnt look as good a spec as the HP ones, am I correct. Only good thing about the Toshiba is the large screen.

Rides
    I bought my laptop from save on laptops, pretty cheap I thought for what I got . Have a look on there and compare . I ended up with blue ray 12gb and I5 and a graphics card for 550 Asus n series .
    Last edited by SXRORY; 25-08-2014 at 17:18.

Rides
    The HP wiht the A8 is a decent box, its an ok cpu and has a decent enough graphics system built into the chip.

The only thing i dont really like is the 720p screen, bit then the tosh has only a little more resolution for a bigger panel and of course you still need a decent gpu to pump all those pixels and its only got the anemic crap HD graphics on chip so blehh...

I doubt battery life will be too different between the hp and tosh, the tosh has a less power hungry processor and slightly bigger battery but... its got a bigger screen to feed power to so its likely balanced out.

Neither has an SSD which imho is an utter killer on any pc/laptop now. I would gladly give up 1tb of disk space to go to 256Gb instead on an SSD which is likely going to be 5 to 10 times faster than the shite wee mech drives these things get.

So it would be the A8 HP for me, the first HP with the quad will be slow as a donkey and the i3 will be not much better and have graphics output only 1 step up from an etch a sketch.

Rides
    I got an refurbished Toshiba, but marked as brand new from Ebay. 4th Gen i5 4200, 1 TB HD, 8GB ddr, Windows 8.1, was £390.

Rides
    Had a look on save fro laptops and I cant see anything as good as the pc world offer.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    The HP wiht the A8 is a decent box, its an ok cpu and has a decent enough graphics system built into the chip.

The only thing i dont really like is the 720p screen, bit then the tosh has only a little more resolution for a bigger panel and of course you still need a decent gpu to pump all those pixels and its only got the anemic crap HD graphics on chip so blehh...

I doubt battery life will be too different between the hp and tosh, the tosh has a less power hungry processor and slightly bigger battery but... its got a bigger screen to feed power to so its likely balanced out.

Neither has an SSD which imho is an utter killer on any pc/laptop now. I would gladly give up 1tb of disk space to go to 256Gb instead on an SSD which is likely going to be 5 to 10 times faster than the shite wee mech drives these things get.

So it would be the A8 HP for me, the first HP with the quad will be slow as a donkey and the i3 will be not much better and have graphics output only 1 step up from an etch a sketch.

I havent seen any laptop in my price range with a SSD. I have a laptop SSD in my desktop and it is so much quicker than a HDD but its something Ill have to live with out at the moment.

Im going to go for the Purple HP with the A8 processor, from what Ive found on the interweb and from what you have said I dont think Im going to get better for my money.

Rides
    The SSD will make the most difference at boot up time.

If you aren't the sort of person who's constantly switching their machine on and off 9-10 times a day, I'd say you'll struggle to do better than that purple one for the money.