Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my first nissan s13 project

Rides

my first nissan s13 project

hello all ive just joined the membership gang today. I brought this Nissan s13 off kenna and I fell in love with it at first sight my mates said I was crazy for taking on a huge project like this in terms of welding sills and that but im going to prove them wrong so here it is in the condition I received it in about a month ago...

Kenna's project thread http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ry!&highlight=

bonus well spent I would say hahaa. ignore the surroundings im keeping it at my dads place on a farm loads of room for storing things

so first things first I knocked all the filler out of the boot lid and welded it all up.

then onto the engine side of things, she is a non starter, cranks over and fires and practically gets there but just when you think is started and let go of the key she dies :'( im thinking timing isn't quite right will be checking that.

getting rid of the unknown rad though and swapping it out for a new one

now the interior it didn't have a drivers seat so i kept on the look out for a pair to match so while i was working on that, i fitted some gauges, oil temp, pressure and water temp into the dash and sorted the wiring out for the stereo

all i can update for now ive gotta go to work will update later, hope you like it so far

Rides
    I cant see the pics but sure shes a beauty! Welcome to the club and good luck dude!

Rides
    Yeah mate she needs a good bit of tlc hoping to get it ready for October I think I'm on track for that

Rides
    That's cool Must be one of the very last pig nose cars sold!

Rides
    Welcome to the prefacelift family I hope you like welding

Rides
    Ohhhh yeah my dad loves welding xD I used to have a classic mini for my first car so I ain't no stranger to rust. My welding skills ain't pretty but it's effective, I've always liked the face lift models but I have to admit this pre face lift one is growing on me

Rides
    right finished work and time for an update, got some seats from a skyline :P with them in it looks more like a car now

while I was away at work I had turn up, thank god someone was in to get it

how do people go about securing the intercooler onto the car do you just use some flat bar or something similar, its quite weighty that's why im asking. also got round to putting the radio back in now its all wired up and them choc blocks removed

the only thing is when my ignition is on I get no radio reception, I think I messed up somewhere. the aerial I have is electric and it doesn't go up for one and the second thing is I have two aerial cables joined together I looked online and I believe its called diversity aerial or something so I just connected the thicker side to the aerial plug then taped the other smaller half up. it had no connections on you see so I just put the plug on.

then after dinner I fitted the lockwood dials, my only concern about them now is with them being white what they going to be like at night time like am I going to be able to see the needles :s

Rides
    ive decided to pull the needles off again and painted them by scraping the white paint off the back of them with a Stanley blade and painting them red with some acrylic nail polish looks 10x better, also made some mounts for a intercooler I had lying around

found out why it wasn't starting properly unless the accelerator was held down all the time, only running on 2 cylinders one had this

no spark plugs even matched with the other all different brands and the other one was so black it wasn't even firing
    idles now just fine still not quite right, though the fuel is a year old that's in there so got to put fresh in
    http://vid1364.photobucket.com/album...ps2626af48.mp4

Rides
    right found out today why she sounds like a diesel and and runs better with the coil pack unplugged on cylinder one its buggered the injector is leaking petrol through the o-ring seal, done a compression test it was
    front to back
    1: 8.4 bar
    2: 8.9 bar
    3: 9.1 bar
    4: 1.2 bar

I nearly died inside and this has set my October date way back now done a leak test to see where it was all going but I thought it didn't look good when all the spark plugs was black and the 4th one was nearly enough clean. now I could smell petrol so might be over fueling anyway across the board when I pulled the plugs out.

the leak down test I believe its called, shown when turning it over by arm power that it suspected valves that have gone, wont know more till tomorrow now when I get chance to strip it down, any advice on this other than mark everything and take a shed lead of clear pictures hahaa

Rides
    None of those figures look good TBH.

No 4 being so low suggests either a head gasket gone or holed piston or broken ringlands or a big chunk out of your exhaust valve.

Open it up and have a look is the only way to tell really.

IMO (many may disagree), the complexity is in disconnecting all the shite that clips onto the engine. When I did it to replace worn inlet valves at 31K miles , I didn't know as much about the CA engine and it was quite daunting to disconnect everything and reconnect it afterwards. Taking good photos of both sides of the engine especially the loom around the injectors was very valuable. Same goes for the back of the engine including the pipework around the back of the plenum.

If you have trouble putting it back as was, start a thread in TechS13 and if I don't see it, give me a nudge by PM and I'll see if I can help.

October does look a bit optimistic now but Spring 2015 is where it is at anyway

Rides
    I will have it open tomorrow and I will mark everything with masking tape for labelling purposes and tipex belts and pulleys when its on top dead centre, could of had it done if I wasn't always waiting and looking for parts hahaa thanks dude I will keep you posted i could strip an a series engine down in hours head replacement I got down to an hour with all tools already out, classic minis for you hahaa. too much stuff is needed to run newer cars nowadays. I will message you if I have issues ive got the 300 odd page pdf and a new laptop battery so hopefully that will help tomorrow :P

just realised you have been posting on my other technical anyway xD
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...-no-idle/page2
    Last edited by soggysock; 13-09-2014 at 20:52.

Rides
    Also, remember that I have a mass of CA/S13 parts in my shed

Rides
    ohh really now what sorts of parts are these then because im looking for a few bits a radiator fan cowling and stock suspension because my hsd's are leaking and they are out of warrantee hahaa. also while your here do you know what this plug is

its down by where the battery used to be located, it looks like it hasn't been connected up in a while and I cannot see where else it could connect to other than under the wing, I also need the wires for the washer bottle where are they located

Rides
    There should be a brown relay tucked under the wing that that plugs into. Can't remember off the top of my head but maybe headlamp washer relay ?
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 15-09-2014 at 09:05.

Rides
    I had a quick look under there and found some plugs and a relay along with some remains of a washer pipe, I will take the wing off so I can have a proper look on Friday, hopefully its not raining, getting the head off is a real pain in the back side when doing it on the floor hahaa the amount of times ive dropped the spanner on my face undoing the manifold nuts is unreal lol

Rides
    Does your bumper have the washer jets ?

Rides
    I honestly don't know I've seen some remains of a washer hose down there and some plugs under the wing, I honestly don't remember there being washer jets on the bumper.

Rides
    Sorry, I'm being a div. Its a prefacelift so no headlamp washers.

Washer bottle plugs look like this at the washer bottle end. There is one that plugs in to the bottle, one that connects to a connector and two smaller ones at the back that plug directly into the smaller pumps (you may not have these).

I'll see if I can get you a pic of the inner wing wiring. I don't seem to have any in my archive.

Rides
    Found something. In this "before" picture, you can see where the wires for the washer bottle come out of the loom. Its the black wrapped set of wires that comes vertically down before the hole in the wing where the main loom goes inside the engine bay. Unfortunately you can't see the wires going all the way to the washer bottle. There is also a clear and a black water pipe that follows a similar run that go to the washer bottle too.

Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 16-09-2014 at 19:00.

Rides
    Ahhh sweet thanks mate. I've not got a washer bottle but I have seen the bracket in the my box of bits xD shame nothing was labeled when removed *face palm* I'm gonna have to break out the multimeter on this I think. I've got a washer bottle but it's a slim one and has vw stamped on the box and has fitting kit, bottle and pump so I will make up some connection for it