Thread: Rear lower arm hitting brake back plate

Rides

Rear lower arm hitting brake back plate

Not sure what I have done, overhauled the rear subframe, bushes,
    Fitted new roll center correction rear ball joints, z32 rear brake upgrade, and now it appears the brake backing plate is hitting the rear lower arm, on both sides. Car is still on axle stands at the moment, has not touched the ground since new parts fitted. Any idea what I have done? Here is a pic of what I mean.

Rides
    I had this after fitting the exact same parts (roll centre correction ball joints and Z32 rear brake setup)! I did what I consider to be a bodge job but i cut away the section of the dust shield that was touching and ground away the lip on the lower arm. Now it has a whole 1mm gap! Have checked it 4-5 times and can't see any damage to the disc and haven't had any strange noises or braking problems coming from the rear.

Rides
    interesting to hear that you have the same problem, maybe others have a better cure??

Rides
    Are the rear lower arms sided / mix up able ?

Rides
    Nope not mixed up, fitted as should be

Rides
    Must be the extra length / extra angle the different ball joints allow then.

A few degrees angle more combined with maybe a slightly bigger drop from the hub could easily add up to a good few mm ?

Rides
    thats all i can think of. cant believe that others havnt come across this problem, with running z32's and roll center correction ball joints. Guess i will have to notch the backplate out!

Rides
    I've also got these balljoints on the rear and noticed the other day that my lower arms are VERY close to the disks now (R33 GTR brakes).

Any better solution than grinding the arms a bit?

Rides
    Was thinking about putting a hole saw through the backing plate in the right area to give some room. Don't know about lower arm to brake disc nearness. Don't want to grind lower arm either.

Rides
    Noticed I have the very same issue with my R33 GTR Brembo rears. I've removed the brakes recently and there are witness marks on the inside of the shield so there's definitely been contact!?! I've taken a big hammer to the lip on the lower arm. I'd say I now have around 3mm of clearance which should hopefully be enough. Cutting the shield sounds like a naff idea to me if the contact is enough to push the 0.5mm thick shield into the brake disc. Cutting the lip on the arm could also weaken it as well so bending it with a mallet seems the most logical thing to do. Hardrace should make people aware of this really.