Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post

It's an analogy. A well built turbo will work well and last. A well built sump will work and last. It won't leak, it won't fall apart. That's all the analogy was there for.
yeah but your analogy is not really correct, sorry!

I have a little experience in fabrication and machining. Would i make my own baffled sump out of sheet metal and with a mig welder? Yes. Would I make my own turbo from billet and a lathe/mill? NO. The accuracy required on each part is completely different.

If you're not a complete idiot, then you check the operation and security of all the pins/bolts in your new sump, loctite it all, and then the ONLY expected failure mode left is that it leaks. Which isn't all that serious, nor is it all that expensive to fix, nor is it instantaneous.

Not slating the more expensive brands at all, but I dont expect my cheap sump to cause problems any more than you expect your expensive one to. Apart from possible slow leaks which i admit the cheap ones are more prone to.

And (unless your trapdoors are machined with sealing rings etc, which they aren't!) I dont expect one works any better than the other regarding the job of holding oil in place.