Thread: lenovo g500 dvd region locked

Rides

lenovo g500 dvd region locked

Hi folks.
    My dad just got a Lenovo g500 and the DVD player in it will only play region 1.

Does anyone know of an easy way to make it region free?
    His Acer was never region locked when he got it. So this is a little bit annoying.
    Running Windows 8.1

Also is there a way to make 8.1 run like Windows 7?
    Ta.

Rides
    To answer the last question, yes, download Classic Shell from www.classicshell.net . Will boot up to the desktop and give as close to a normal start menu as it's possible to get .

As for the region locking, it should be possible from Device Manager.

Press the Windows key on the keyboard and, whilst holding it down, press the PrtScr key. If you haven't got that key then you'll need to do the following from the mickey-mouse Windows 8 startup screen :-

From the Start screen, click the circled down-arrow icon that is in the bottom-left corner of the screen
    Scroll to the right until you see the Windows System heading
    Click on Control Panel, located under Windows System
    Click on the Hardware and Sound link
    In the Hardware and Sound window, click Device Manager, located under the Devices and Printers heading

From Device Manager, click the + to the left of DVD/CD-ROM drives, to expand the list
    Double-click (or right-click and select Properties) on the drive that appears below
    Click the DVD Region tab
    Select United Kingdom from the list
    Click OK
    Close Device Manager

Hope that works

Rides
    Thanks Cluck. Much appreciated.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    To answer the last question, yes, download Classic Shell from www.classicshell.net . Will boot up to the desktop and give as close to a normal start menu as it's possible to get .

As for the region locking, it should be possible from Device Manager.

Press the Windows key on the keyboard and, whilst holding it down, press the PrtScr key. If you haven't got that key then you'll need to do the following from the mickey-mouse Windows 8 startup screen :-

From the Start screen, click the circled down-arrow icon that is in the bottom-left corner of the screen
    Scroll to the right until you see the Windows System heading
    Click on Control Panel, located under Windows System
    Click on the Hardware and Sound link
    In the Hardware and Sound window, click Device Manager, located under the Devices and Printers heading

From Device Manager, click the + to the left of DVD/CD-ROM drives, to expand the list
    Double-click (or right-click and select Properties) on the drive that appears below
    Click the DVD Region tab
    Select United Kingdom from the list
    Click OK
    Close Device Manager

Hope that works
    How many times can you change the region locking? sometimes you can only change it once.... AnyDVD will make it Region Free

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    How many times can you change the region locking? sometimes you can only change it once.... AnyDVD will make it Region Free
    You can usually only set the region 5 times so, taking into account the default setting, it leaves 4 changes available .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    You can usually only set the region 5 times so, taking into account the default setting, it leaves 4 changes available .
    Cool, wasn't sure of that

Rides
    Don't quote me on it though, I'm just going by what every DVD drive I've checked has had . I've just looked up mine (both my desktop and laptop) in device manager and yep, they both show 4 changes remaining .

Rides
    Cool. I'm running Any DVD and it says No region selected. 5 changes remaining