Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it true that you dont need ABS after you upgrade your brakes?

Rides

Is it true that you dont need ABS after you upgrade your brakes?

As title, is this true?

Anyone have do it? Its a road /track car.

Rides
    You dont need abs wether you upgrade your brakes or not. There are models of 200sx that dont have abs in the first place and brakes are no bigger or better than the abs models.

Rides
    Thanks, I don't even know there are 200sx without abs

Does it make a difference?

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    That depends, how confidant are you in your ability to cadence brake in an emergency ?
    Its gone!

Rides
    Lol
    I suppose it depends on whether you will feel guilty about flattening the 9yr old kid who runs out from behind the parked car in the rain.

Rides
    My brakes felt **** after big brake conversion pulled the abs out and they work wonders.

Tbh never been a fan of abs had a few incidents in the wet braking over drains and it kicks in and the car won't stop so prefer not to have it. As above if your confident enough not to have it then rip it out. Means all new brake lines and removing some pipes from the diff etc. only takes a few hours of that

Rides
    Great suggestion. I have the R33 GTR front and Rear Brake conversion on the car.

1 more things add to my to do list.

Rides
    Your brakes have nothing to do with your need for ABS. It's your driving standard that determines if you should even consider it. If you don't understand properly what it means then may I suggest you retain it. Road/track, not even sure what that means.

Rides
    Near enough the majority of people that drives will have driven a car that has no abs and never did have abs. Removing it is exactly the same. Atleast if you do have to stamp on the brakes without ABS yeah you will lock up but have you ever been in a car where you've stamped on the brakes and ABS has kicked in and done absolutely **** all.

Rides
    I personally will be keeping my ABS after I upgrade my front brakes as I use it every day. Until someone shows me proof that my car will stop better in ALL situations without it, it will be staying.
    Just saying that ABS does nothing is pretty ridiculous, in my opinion. You don't just lock the wheels up if you stamp on the brakes really hard, you also lose almost all your steering. ABS is proven to allow you to keep better control of the car when hard braking in emergency situations as well as reducing stopping distance.
    Sideways14a pretty much summed up the best reason to keep it in post #5.

Rides
    Lol the wheels don't just lock up every time you brake. I use mine all the time apart from work except on weekends in wet and dry it hasn't locked up once. As said my brakes were completely **** until I removed it now there a lot more responsive it only locks up if you intentionally want it too

As I already said say you have an old car that doesn't have abs anyway or an s14 that didn't come with abs if a kid ran out infront of you you'd still stop in just the same time and if your driving that fast in residential area anyway that you can't stop then its on your head be it.

Removing it makes no difference what so ever as said I already have removed it and no plenty other have done years ago and still brake perfectly fine

Also as I already said you ever slammed on the brakes with abs in the wet and gone over a drain? You lose all brakes and just carry on going even with your foot jammed down

No abs yeah you may lock up but your still slowing down.

Last car - mitsubishi colt cyborg R track car no abs and Evo big brake conversion I could slam on the brakes jam them to the floor going any speed and they wouldn't lock up but yet I could quite easily out brake any car

Each to there own

Rides
    I guess you know more than every major car manufacture currently putting ABS on all their cars.
    What a track car does in the dry with big brakes has nothing to do with performing an emergency stop in the wet.
    Your info is base on what you think is happening, not tests that have been carried out to prove or disprove that stopping in the wet when going over a drain cover is the same with or without ABS.
    I'm not saying that without ABS your car will lock up if you just touch the brakes gently.
    I hope you never have a kid run out in front of you to test your strange theory on stopping distances.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Your missing my point completely. If it was that important all s14's would be fitted with it.

So basically your saying that anyone who has an s14 that came from factory without abs is potentially drivin a death trap purely because they have the non abs model.

Its speed that kills not not having abs. Old cars never had abs like I was saying 1993 model mitsubishi no abs decent brakes and would stop perfectly fine wet or dry. Just because you have abs fitted doesn't mean you wouldn't run that kid over that ran out infront of you

Rides
    ABS significantly enhances the cars ability to stop in a straight line in the event of losing traction under braking. That's the bottom line

Rides
    I'm still using ABS on mine with K port 356 on the front and GTR brembos on the back. Having just been round track this week it all works great, the ABS did come in with a couple of really heavy brake points, but it certainly didn't cause any problems

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    ABS significantly enhances the cars ability to stop in a straight line in the event of losing traction under braking. That's the bottom line
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    ABS is proven to allow you to keep better control of the car when hard braking in emergency situations as well as reducing stopping distance.
    You're both wrong. ABS is neither there to stop you quicker in a straight line nor does it reduce your stopping distance.

ABS is there to allow you to steer your car under heavy braking and in most cases will increase your stopping distance.

I'm not arguing against the merits of ABS on a road car, I'm just pointing out the facts.

Rides
    I never said anything about stopping quicker or reduceing your stopping distance please re read what I wrote

Rides
    All car manufacturers are idiots. What were they thinking fitting ABS as standard?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scotch_kris View Post
    Your missing my point completely. If it was that important all s14's would be fitted with it.
    In the UK they were

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    ABS allows you to maintain steering effect under severe braking, where otherwise your locked wheels would provide braking force through friction, but no ability to steer. They will provide shorter stopping distances over locked up wheels in the wet. Only drivers with the very highest of skills in the art of cadence braking could out brake the latest ABS systems, & probably almost never so in the wet. The only time away from the track where ABS (Anti Blocking System) is likely to extend the braking distance is on uncompacted snow, as some of the slowing effect under these conditions is provided by the build up of snow in front of the tyre (like a snow plough) of a locked wheel, that does not build up on an ABS equipped car.

ABS has only ever been left off a standard street car for cost or 'price point' reasons by the manufacturer or importer, not because it didn't benefit from ABS inclusion.

I for one would never disconnect modern ABS, but then my car has not seen a track since I bought it in 2008. The benefits on the road are too great when accounting for my skill level & the ability of other road users, pedestrians, animals & normally inanimate objects (trees, lamposts, etc.) to 'do things' way beyond my expectations or road reading skills, let alone allow me to respond to an incident effectively from a not fully focused state such as mile 151 following miles 1 to 150 on a dull motorway.

R.