Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 777s12

Rides
    Top work mate. Love what you've done with the rear arches.

Rides
    Ace work on those arches, Inspirational!

Can't wait to see them finished, Looks like a really clean job you have done.

Rides
    Agree with both comments above, been thinking of the best way of doing the arches on my 14a for ages,great work so far.

Rides
    Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your comments.

Heres how it sits at the moment, needs a touch more filler work to straighten a few things out, blends etc.

The worst part of this was that I attached the additional inner arch to the outer arch first, then had to weld the inside of the arch last. It was a real nightmare. For the otherside I think I will attach the inner arch to the car first so I can easily weld that and then the outer arch, hopefully that will be a bit better.
    Last edited by van_denton_san; 27-04-2015 at 15:04.

Rides
    Another micro update, had no time to work on this so very little is getting done. Im dying to drive this beastie.

This sides inner arch was really rotten, I tried to do a previous repair on it but it was really difficult to get a continuous arc so looked crap and even crapper when I flared it out and it just exploded with the different thickness of metal in the repair.

Just have to make up the inner arch, this is the worst part of the job.

Also borrowed my mates hoist so finally got the engine on the stand and out of the tyre its been sitting on for monthes!

Cant wait to strip this down and see what I have, apparently low compression, need to be on the look out for all the little things to make this a complete running engine, shame I didn't get a running donor but this was too cheap to pass up.
    Last edited by van_denton_san; 27-04-2015 at 15:03.

Rides
    right so finished off the other side, still needs a bit more filler work but I will do that later.

Did a bit of filler work to one of the wings as its a bit of a hack job as I used two crap wings to make one good one.

Need to look out for another wing really but just cant find any.

As ive been bustin my balls with all this dirty bodywork thought id do something fun!!

Although the horn ring wont stay in!! so that's slightly annoying.

As the elephant trunk no longer fits with the new turbo I needed to make a new inlet pipe.

and also a ghetto beading tool!

Not bad for 3£ which was the price of the grips!

I cant seem to find a -4an m12x1 with a 1mm restrictor anywhere so I decided to try and turn my non restrictor into one.

I went to drill it with a 1mm drill bit but it was too small to fit into the pillar drill so I used the little cordless drill, had right trouble getting it centered so thought I would center punch it! but that just made the little bit of weld fly off! so I abandoned that idea! lol

I just assembled it without the restrictor so I could start ut up, it started first turn after not being started for like 5 monthes! Im getting closer!
    Last edited by van_denton_san; 10-05-2015 at 20:54.

Rides
    Doesn't look like this miracle is going to happen.

I just realised I never made a clip or bracket to attach the braided brake hoses, they are s13 ones and are really long, too long. Made up a bracket and tried different places but no matter where I put it the hose still rubs on either the tyre, the strut or the inner arch, so went for the inner arch. Put a little bit of silicone pipe on it, is this an MOT fail?

Also fitted the uprated fuel pump. Had to just cable tie it together into the cradle, I guess this is what everyone does?

Took a chance that a skyline fueltank sender o ring would fit! and it does.

This did my head in alittle bit, Everyone sais you should have an oil restrictor for the gt28rs but I just couldn't find it in the right thread size, so I got this all the way from Austrailia not for the connector but for the little nubbin!

which goes into this correct fitting of m12x1.0 to an4

Which leads me to some sucky news.....the second hand turbo I got is possibly FUBARED. The guy I bought it off said it had a small amount of play which it has but it makes and awful whine, I imagine this isn't good?

If you watch till the end or skip to the last 15 secs you can really hear it as I turn off the engine.

Not sure what to do now, I guess I can get it rebuilt? anyone know of anyone good and very reliable?

Will try and drive it to the MOT station and see what happens, have tomo aswell to put it all back together.

Also the power steering pump seems really noisy and possibly fubared too! jeez.

Heres some shots of it, oh yer and the front suspension wont go any higher and the rear is to low for the shock which is bottoming out now!

Last edited by van_denton_san; 25-05-2015 at 07:27.

Rides
    ah I love your updates! It's getting there man, looking nice! Hope the most recent lot of things to fix go smoothly

Rides
    So good! Those arches really fit the car. Awesome work.

Rides
    thanks mate, I see your engine is practically ready for the big in! good luck with that. I just need to find some smaller rear shocks as they are stopping it from going any lower.
    Now with the extra arch space I need extra filling!

was gonna get these as a birthday prezzie to myself!

but will have to get one of these instead as the turbo I bought off of someone here is a shitter! surprise surprise!

and a new power steering pump!.
    Last edited by van_denton_san; 25-05-2015 at 08:10.

Rides
    Haha, yeah I'm getting there slowly. And damn, those works wheels would be mental! I'm almost scared to go on driftworks now they offer finance on them too, haha I have no self control!

And sadly I had the same issue as you with turbo, bought one with "no play" and it is full of it. You just cant trust people to be honest it seems.

Rides
    Right, building this turd back up!

Swapped the mk2 lights with some mk1s, I think they look a lot cleaner.

There is some mad carpet in here, its pretty rank and stained and a mouse has been getting freaky in there too!

So just coming to the realisation that I cant take the car for an MOT and have the turbo disintegrate on me and blow the engine, will take it out AGAIN!!!

Probably gonna just bite the bullet and get a brand new turbo, only way I can be sure it wont be a shitter and that way it will be ready for when the SR gets rebuilt.

Its too low at the front, gonna have to see if I can either flip the bottom bracket on the coilover or machine a spacer for the top of the coilover to give me the extra 5mm I need to have a working car!.

Rides
    Looks awesome dude!!! hope your going to drive it as hard as you've worked on it

Rides
    dkgates2277 - Drive it? man.......its like an anxiety dream! Will I ever drive it?

heres some more piccies, had to take the turbo out AGAIN!! man I hate doing that. It makes such a god awfull whine when its running on the car yet when I rotate it by hand I cant hear anything, no visible damage either. Anyone know a good place to get it rebuilt?

Rides
    Well..........

Was wondering if the old turbo was getting oil as I took it apart and there was no visible damage at all. So I put on an oil line and disconnected the fuel pump and ignition and cranked it and not much oil came out! So took the connector out of the block and it looked a bit gunked up so gave it a good old clean and put it back, this time loads of oil came out! so now I have the oil fear. Will grab a spare line and connect it to the block and do another crank test to doubly make sure the turbo is getting oil.

This was a pain to get installed as everything is in a different place. Had to modify the oil drain, the intercooler pipes and move the power steering reservoir.

So its all ready to take for a MOT, I found a place that MOTS's lowriders! so I thought id take the car to see my mates unit which is all in the same army base. As I said before the road is terrible and it really bangs and scrapes, took a while to get up there. I will definitely either have to raise it at the front or get some smaller tyres. With the tyres I was going for AE86 type look I might of gone too big.

I have really pulled the front wings out, so much so that they don't line up anymore hahahha, so im gonna extend the bottom of them I think, well in the future anyway.

So just have to wait till I can book it in for the MOT, maybe Saturday morning.

Rides
    Oooo beautiful turbo! Your car looks nuts - those rear arches are so much cooler than the way they are stock, I hope your MOT goes well. Also that estate thing you guys are on looks like a great place for taking pictures of cars...or sneaky skids (minus the wrecked roads I guess!) How many units do they rent in a place like that, most old military stuff up my way is just wrecked and falling apart as 'historic Scotland' don't let people renovate or build on the land...minus a bird sanctuary or two I think. You chaps are lucky!

Rides
    Cheers mate, Yeah its a pretty cool place, its right near where my parents live and it used to be empty when I was a kid. So it was my playground growing up, I even found live bullets!! in the dump part of it and gas masks and all sorts of shit.

not my pic but someone elses from same place.

Its too busy for skidzz though and I already got in trouble for a few runs I did when I first got the engine running LOL, there 24 security you see.
    Last edited by van_denton_san; 01-06-2015 at 10:09.

Rides
    This thing looks rad! Might be my favourite build I've seen on sxoc! What new turbo did you go for? Another gt28rs?

Rides
    thanks Sir!
    its a gt2560r, thought it might be better with the CA. Now I just have to sort some rear shocks out for it, looking at these.

I think ive killed my water gauge, I noticed the temp gauge wasnt working - it wasn't getting power, a fuse had blown. So replaced that and now the gauge comes on but doesn't do anything, its all plugged in and everything, I think somewhere it has shorted and killed the sender or gauge. :{ Which is a nightmare cause im super paranoid about engines temps and health etc with this unknown engine. Which reminds me I also need to install the oil cooler attachment so I can wire in the OIL temp gauge, was gonna do that when I change the oil after a few 100S.

Will also make a 5mm spacer and a 10mm spacer to sit under the camber plates on the front coilovers, hopefully that can get me a reasonable height till I change the tyres.

The right side isn't so bad because ive pulled the wing loads, that wing seems to be half the thickness of the left one, as the left is soo hard to pull out and I have quite a bit of rubbing with that.

I also want to get some different number plates, I want square ones or at least a smaller one for the front, the front plate doesn't sit in the space for the plate on the bumper and looks really gash. the rear plate is just massive so want a rectangle type one in the back. Im not sure on the legality of that but I guess I will find out.
    Last edited by van_denton_san; 01-06-2015 at 13:05.

Rides
    IT HAS AN MOT>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahha

Still got some things to do to make it a bit nicer to drive, the wideband doesn't work I think I destroyed it bu having in the exhaust and not wired up!!! but man im happy.

Special thanks to Jonny Wilkinson who sent me bits for free to get my car on the road, cheers mate