Thread: Alarm systems

Rides

Alarm systems

With the car getting more upgrades etc, it's time to get a better alarm system.

What would you recommend?

Rides
    I Wear "ARIADNE" since 2002 and no problems as of today

Rides
    Bump

Rides
    Can't fault my Clifford. And their not too expensive. Well not as expensive as I thought. can get the top level one fitted for £350!

Rides
    Toad Ai606.

Had mine 8 years and its been fantastic, the fob is like new and the unit is faultless. Low current draw and no false alarms. Not heard anyone say a bad word about them and they are easy to fit (unlike the Cliffords).

If you do a bit of research, you will see that lots of people moan about Cliffords and others swear by them. It appears to be down to the patience and skills of the fitter - many don't like fitting them as they are so complex.

The Toad is pretty feature rich but the Cliffords seem to be better if you want loads of bells and whistles - proximity sensors and what-not.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Toad Ai606.

Had mine 8 years and its been fantastic, the fob is like new and the unit is faultless. Low current draw and no false alarms. Not heard anyone say a bad word about them and they are easy to fit (unlike the Cliffords).

If you do a bit of research, you will see that lots of people moan about Cliffords and others swear by them. It appears to be down to the patience and skills of the fitter - many don't like fitting them as they are so complex.

The Toad is pretty feature rich but the Cliffords seem to be better if you want loads of bells and whistles - proximity sensors and what-not.
    I think the fitter makes all the difference. Mine was on the car when I got it and it didn't lock/unlock the doors (which I didn't actually realise for a couple of months) so I got it re-fitted and now its all good!

Rides
    I had a Clifford 650 Mk2 on my old car. Can't fault it. Asked the fitter for a Cat 1 alarm and thats what he brought & fitted. Was £300 fitted.

Rides
    Next question, where do you buy them from without getting lied to or ripped off lol?

Rides
    As this is S14 technical, I assume S14, if so stick with the Nissan NATS2 if you have not replaced the ECU.

If you have fit the Toad as Jonny said, but make sure oyu get a good installer.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I thought NATS2 was for S14As and the S14s only got NATS with no immobiliser in the ECU.

Either way, Kishan, your best bet is to ask in the local section for anyone that has had a TOAD installed then ask questions til you get someone you are confident of.

There is an outfit called toadalarm.com BUT as far as I can tell they are NOT the manufacturer just some installer pretending to be....so probably one to avoid.

The Ai606 must be fairly old tech. now so if you want a solid, reliable, cheap alarm that any reasonably competent installer can fit, go for the Ai606. Otherwise, pick your installer very carefully and be guided by them to find you a good alarm within budget.

Rides
    In his profile he said he has S14a so I assumed he already had NATS2 immobiliser, sorry should have mentioned that part.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    As a fitter of both of the alarms it depends on what you want the toad is cheaper and more of a ronseal alarm as in it does what it says on the tin. The clifford 650 is a better imo alarm it instantly feels like a slicker bit of kit. Clifford got a bad name for a while but was all down to the fitting as mentioned before. When correctly fitted both alarms will be great and will depend on budget.
    Both clifford and toad both don't have fitters directly so no matter who fits the alarm it won't be the manufacturer's.

Hope this helps

Rides
    Kishan, Big Dubs is only an hour from you.