Thread: Can someone local help me with Turbo not spooling problem

Rides

Can someone local help me with Turbo not spooling problem

I am lost and need expert help. My turbo just will not spool up its almost like the car doesn't have a turbo. The car revs and moves but the turbo will not kick in at all no sound nothing.

I checked the actuator and it seems to move with a slight bit of force. Please can someone help. I don't have a clue.

thank you so much.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    What have you checked?

Rides
    Hi thank you for your reply. I have checked the actuator arm thingy jobby and it moves back and forth with the air of the spring . I have checked for leaking pipes . The AVCR is reporting -508 boost and when I rev it past 3k there is no turbo sound at all. The AVCR then jumps to -30 boost.

The car idles perfectly and revs up fine. It just does not have any boost or sucking sound at all.

I am absolutely baffled. I drove the car a couple of days back and the turbo kicked in as it should but then suddenly just stopped working. What else should I check I am completely lost
    Last edited by xcapade; 26-07-2014 at 23:36.

Rides
    Can you hear the turbo spinning? And are you sure the wastegate is closing?

Rides
    You say you have checked the arm of the actuator to make sure it springs back but is it attached to the turbo at the opposite end. Also if it is attached what position is the arm it is attached to Ie 6oclock etc

Rides
    Thank you guys for your attention to my problem. The arm of the actuator is still connected to the turbo and after searching other threads the arm is certainly still connected to the turbo and not come away from it.

I can not hear the turbo spinning at all. The arm is sat at like 6-7 o'clock and goes back to like 4 o'clock with force until the spring shoots it back to the 6-7 o'clock position. I used a wrench arm to force the arm back and try to rev the car to see if any spooling would take place and still nothing.

Rides
    Take the inlet off and make sure the turbine spins freely. I had this problem when I bought my car and turned out to be a completely seized turbo, I'm guessing due to the fact that the car had pretty much no oil in it.

Rides
    Also you haven't cleaned the intake pipe lately and left a rag in it, I've seen that too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redsx94! View Post
    Also you haven't cleaned the intake pipe lately and left a rag in it, I've seen that too.
    Oh dear god!!!! I would have thought it would chew it up and spit it out

Rides
    You wont make any boost at idle or without load on the engine so forget trying to make it do much sitting still.

Rides
    Thank you for the follow up guys. No haven't cleaned anything with rags or touched the engine so to speak.

@sideways14a

I understand what you are saying. I hope I make sense here : When the car is sat still on idle without any load if I reved the car abit you could hear the air filter make a sound and the turbo making a slight sound from the waste gate chatter, now when I rev alittle its almost like there is no air filter or any kind of chatter.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    Take the inlet off and make sure the turbine spins freely.
    This has to be your first port of call. Maybe the hamsters have died. Have you been feeding them ?

Does it run ok and tickover steadily when off boost ?

Rides
    @ Jonny Wilkinson, you are absolutely right I will check this over the weekend for sure. It has to be my biggest fear. I will report right back to you guys with my findings.

Rides
    Have you got a boost gauge? With no load on the engine sat still and revving it you should get to about 0 pressure. I.E no boost and no vacuum. Unless you have a very quiet exhaust I wouldn't expect to hear any turbo flutter from just doing that unless you really give it hell which isn't a good idea without load on the engine.

Rides
    just take inlet off and see if you can spin the turbo by hand...

Rides
    Wastegate is stuck open by the sounds of it. Had same problem, took the turbo off to find the WG was slightly open, cause to this is the wastegate arm becomes un spot welded. Quick check of this is to either remove the turbo elbow or give the wastegate arm few decent taps. This will knock the sleeve back in and allows the penny door to fully close. That's all I had to do and whilst the turbo was off I had it spot welded which tbf can be done whilst still fitted to the car.

Rides
    If the turbo does spin next port of call will be to remove it and check the wastegate fully closes, they sometimes stick open because the inner sleeve moves forwardeaning you will never get any boost

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post
    Wastegate is stuck open by the sounds of it. Had same problem, took the turbo off to find the WG was slightly open, cause to this is the wastegate arm becomes un spot welded. Quick check of this is to either remove the turbo elbow or give the wastegate arm few decent taps. This will knock the sleeve back in and allows the penny door to fully close. That's all I had to do and whilst the turbo was off I had it spot welded which tbf can be done whilst still fitted to the car.
    The exact same happend to me. I had 0 boost, then when the wastegate swung shut I had full boost for an hour, then nothing at all for days.

I had to take the turbo off to swing the door back in place.