Thread: Fuel pump fuse problems.

Rides

Fuel pump fuse problems.

Morning all!

I had an issue with my fuel pump fuse popping rather randomly, about 8 month ago. Then nothing until now, and it's happened 5 times in the space of one 10 mile ish journey in traffic on a hot day.

Background. It's completely stage 2 with a turbo noz chip, ca18det.
    It first happened after some joyful driving up the motorway.
    Did the same thing on Tuesday and it happened again. Then Thursday was the nightmare day, but no joyful driving.
    I'll drive somewhere then let the car sit idol to make sure everything is cooling properly, even after driving out of boost before I reach my destination. And after a while the fuse pops and naturally the car dies!!

Done a search, and noticed a lot of ppl recommend a 15a fuse, I've been using a 10, but it's been fine up until these incidents, for a yr. so I'll change that.

Over other thing I've noticed it's lumpy at low revs, when slowing down and from starting up. Could this be part of the problem??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Rides
    Quite a few S13s are now suffering from dodgy wiring to the fuel pump. In some cases it can lead to lean running and kill the engine but in your case, it sounds like it is earthing out somewhere and popping the fuse.

I think the wiring runs in the part of the loom that goes through the wheel arch so if you have lowered your car without tucking the loom, checkling that you haven't worn through the loom could be a good place to start.

Rides
    Ok, so I believe it's a fuel pump issue. I haven't lowered the car enough to cause the loom to be worn. The plastic arch interiors are still in situ.

On the way home tonight, it blew both a few 10a fuse, and a 15. Then it just decided not to start at all, I couldn't hear the pump prime or anything! So rung someone to come and tow me back, half way home, I decided to try it, low and behold it started!

This is becoming a problem... As it's happening in queues of traffic, but seems fine when the car is moving.

Before it died on me, and I had to call for a tow, it did splutter a lot as if the fuel was running out. And I still have quater of a tank in the car.

Thoughts?

Rides
    Bump...

I've bought a new fuel pump, but can't fit it till I get home which will be from Monday evening.
    Anybody any other ideas, if that doesn't work?

Rides
    The wiring.

Rides
    If it's got a Walbro in it you might find it sits higher than the standard pump and you need to fill the tank when it gets to 1/4.
    Most people make them sit lower though. As above though I'd put money on faulty wiring.