Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: GreyDesigns - Sr20 S12 - Build

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by van_denton_san View Post
    this is coming on well. how did you find rebuilding the engine? I also got my self a SR to rebuild now.
    The mechanical stuff wasn't really that bad, I'd never really had an engine open before. And I managed to do it without too much drama (haha, not seen it run yet though...)

The cleaning and painting stuff idea, has been a nightmare however. It is so time consuming, and means I have to take everything to bits, and I don't have a very good space to paint or keep things clean.

With your all your skills you'll manage it no bother!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jake_yo View Post
    looking good man! ..Any chance of some more info on your DIY blasting set up?
    Hey, thanks! And sure, not much to tell though. Its a 145L plastic box, now with a perspex window cut and tiger sealed on top, industrial gauntlet gloves tiger sealed into the side of the box and a hole cut for the media hose going to a clarke gun. And another for the compressor line.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by greydesigns View Post
    Hey, thanks! And sure, not much to tell though. Its a 145L plastic box, now with a perspex window cut and tiger sealed on top, industrial gauntlet gloves tiger sealed into the side of the box and a hole cut for the media hose going to a clarke gun. And another for the compressor line.
    Thanks! so the blasting media is just siphoned up to the nozzle via a tube from outside the box?

Rides
    Thanks! so the blasting media is just siphoned up to the nozzle via a tube from outside the box?
    Pretty much, it is one like this that I have. But I think you can just feed a hose straight in - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...qL._SY300_.jpg

--

First Monday update in a while, haha, mainly because it is the first time in about a month that I have been able to work on it!

First up, I painted the top half of the inlet manifold that I stripped last month.
    Mr2 made an okay spray booth...

Next, I had some work to do on the blasting box, the flow had stopped for some reason, so I took the gun apart, and found the shell of a beetle of some kind stuck up there! He obviously got sucked up there and caused the suck pipe to be a blow one. Carcase removed, and now it is working great. And secondly I added a perspex window to the top, makes a huge difference. Just needs some lights and the second glove added now.

Most of Sunday was spent just blasting stuff, loads of bits that have been laying on the floor waiting for the box to work. And some small bits of the throttle body needed doing too. Really pleased with how easily I can get parts cleaned and stripped now.

Then I put the crane to good use as a paint rack, and got all of the bits hanging.

I actually have them all painted now, just hanging to dry still, but didn't get any pics as it was late. I have no idea if the springs will hold the paint, might have to gets some plastic paint for them.

Anyway, I will update soon with how they came out. Looking forward to getting home and seeing for myself!

Rides
    OOOOhhh..you have a home made blasting box...I might have to come see you dude :-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MapBoy View Post
    OOOOhhh..you have a home made blasting box...I might have to come see you dude :-)
    Indeed, feel free to come by Jamie. Haha, it is ghetto as, but it just about does the job!

Rides
    Sweet, what media are you using? I used sand before but it gets everywhere and made clouds!! Probably really bad for you! Might have to make a box like that too, would be pretty handy. Good stuff

Rides
    Sweet, what media are you using? I used sand before but it gets everywhere and made clouds!! Probably really bad for you! Might have to make a box like that too, would be pretty handy. Good stuff
    Hey, Thanks! I'm using a 25kg bag of Sealey synthetic grit atm, seems pretty good. But I'm on my 6 or 7th cycle of it now and there is a fair amount of dust. But there isn't any silica in it, I don't think...should probably still get a respirator! Haha - http://www.ccw-tools.com/uploads/ima.../B_25KG.V2.pdf

Rides
    No update in a while, my brother drove away with my phone on his roof, so I havnt been able to get any pictures. And I hate updating this without pictures.

More bits and bobs done, the end of the road for this engine is within sight, almost.

Alternator, starter motor, fan, crank pulley, rocker cover and power steering pump are the main SR bits still to do. Cleaning and spraying stuff has been a very time consuming task.

And once my brother moves his MR2 out of the shed I can finally get the CA out of the S12.

I have bought a powder coating gun too, once I build an oven and get a new compressor re-coating things should be a breeze. So many dreams, so few coins.

Rides
    very nice! looking forward to more pics!

can't wait until I start doing the same but that won't be anytime soon tho

Rides
    First up, I have bought a powder coating gun! - I had wanted one for a while as I am pretty frustrated with the lack of durability in my rattle can efforts (not to mention how damn expensive paint is!) so I thought I would just give it a blast.

I couldnt get the alternator apart, so I decided just to throw it in the sandblaster and just paint the whole thing black, I was pretty worried about either the grit seizing it up or the paint wrecking contacts, but I think it will be fine...we will see.

here is my ghetto setup with an oven that I managed to pick up for free on gumtree and just wire to a 13amp plug.

First tests

The assembled alternator - the front of the pulley looks pretty bad because it was just so rusty before.

Here are a couple more pictures of the engine pretty much as it sits atm.

Next up, I decided to finally start stripping the rocker cover. I bought Nitromorse a ages ago to do this job, though I was skeptical of it doing it well.

It was kind of working, but so slow and unpredictable.

So I abandoned that and just chucked it in the blasting box! This was not a fun job for my little compressor, and it only just fit in the box for getting to the top and bottom edges. Took far far too long to do, and there are some little bits I will need to go back over and clean up later! - Haha, I would really really like a bigger compressor...

And finally, I took the turbo assembly apart again to get it all clean and painted, I think I will powder coat the compressor housing. And I think I will fit my other turbo instead as this one has a fair amount of play, annoyingly.

I am nearly there with this engine, and work on the house is almost finished, so I will soon be able to get the car setup in the yard for yanking the engine out and spraying the bay. Pretty sure I have said that a hundred times before, but it is a project car after all!
    Last edited by greydesigns; 24-05-2015 at 20:32. Reason: To resize Images

Rides
    wow will be interesting to see how well the powdercoating stands up to time/weather? it's generally pretty damn durable right.. even when done DIY? Awesome move though I'd seriously consider getting my own set up to do the same

Rides
    the alternator turned out nice tho!

Like the lil oven set up ha

Rides
    Due to both of my bike and my car dieing on me, I took the thursday and friday off to fix them. And had some time to get started on the S12 before the weekend too. Woo!

The brakes have been jammed solid since winter, making it impossible to move the car around the yard, and I will need it to be pretty rollable when I get the engine out, so first job was to get them off. Tomorrow I will push the pistons back and get them back on the car. Nice easy job.

Getting the other turbo stripped down now too.

Got these bits prepped and sprayed, I think I will powder coat the compressor housing tomorrow.

Getting there now!

Rides
    wow will be interesting to see how well the powdercoating stands up to time/weather? it's generally pretty damn durable right.. even when done DIY? Awesome move though I'd seriously consider getting my own set up to do the same
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how it lasts. I tried scratching it, and it seemed really tough, nothing like wet paint. It is cool stuff, I just wish I had got my setup together at the start of this project. I will probably be redoing the black bits in a years time with powder coat when my paint starts to flake off anyway, haha!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nessie View Post
    the alternator turned out nice tho!

Like the lil oven set up ha
    Cheers Nessie!

Rides
    Man, a turbo on a bench! all too familiar! hah. What turbo is it?

That powder coating....woo that is good mate, fair play for doing that yourself. I want one now!

This video sells it for me!

Do you have all the wiring sorted for putting the SR in the s12?
    Last edited by van_denton_san; 29-05-2015 at 20:39.

Rides
    Do you have all the wiring sorted for putting the SR in the s12?
    Haha, nope. But I do have an S14 loom. I'm hoping I can just do some reading and wing it when the time comes, Haha! And it is just another T28 btw, this is the one that actually came with this engine, luckily it is far nicer feeling than the one I bought...

Speaking of which, the brakes at the rear are really messed up. And so seized. I managed to get them wound back in eventually, but I think they need refurbished or replaced, Haha, one of the pistons now just wont come out again. Who cares though! Now the car can roll, I have got it setup in our yard for the engine to get pulled. Most fluids drained, exhaust off and radiator out.

I love to look at this car, even if it never runs, I am glad to have it as an ornament!

Last edited by greydesigns; 30-05-2015 at 23:12.

Rides
    Smart,I know what u mean. Mine might be stuck where it is especially as the road out of my unit is totally destroyed and full of massive pot holes! oh and and it doesn't run! oh and its too low to drive!.

The wiring is quite easy! once you've done it! There was so much conflicting info on the net but as soon as I threw all that away, made a big printout of the engine wiring and used common sense it worked!.

Im sure the SR is pretty similar to the ca18det.
    In regards to the brake caliper, I just worked mine back and fourth, wind it in clockwise then use the handbrake lever on the caliper to push it back out again.

Right im off out to work on my beast!

Rides
    Awesome sunset car picture, keep the good woek