Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GreyDesigns - Sr20 S12 - Build

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by greydesigns View Post
    And my mistake of muddling up the shims when taking apart the head has also come back to haunt me. No idea which on goes where, I was trying to work it out with the dial indicator siting on the flat section in the center of the head, but because the shims sit at an angle, it means I need to find the highest point of each to work out which is which. Unsurprisingly moving about the dial so much has an effect on the readings, and is making it hard to be certain. I might have to fabricate up a tool for this.
    You're not the only one. I flipped my head over having forgotten to take all the shims out and they went all over the place. Presumably you've measured all of the shims and they are all different? I was quite lucky in that only one was different to all of the others but it's kind of pot luck unfortunately!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    You're not the only one. I flipped my head over having forgotten to take all the shims out and they went all over the place. Presumably you've measured all of the shims and they are all different? I was quite lucky in that only one was different to all of the others but it's kind of pot luck unfortunately!
    Yeah, a bunch of different sizes unfortunately. I will try again some night this week, Its nice to know I'm not the only one to have done this though!

Rides
    My lazer cut aluminum washers for the puck engine mounts finally arrived!

Rides
    Even though I hate to say this, but mistakes are kinda good....u will never ever do the same mistake again (hopefully) haha.
    thanks for the manual link as well btw, only got a chance to have a look into it now

Rides
    Hey man looks like your cracking on with it!!!

I looked at doing hockey puck mounts too, even bought some. But from what I can tell you are basically solid mounting it, which is fine, I had a beetle with solid mounts once!!

I did look at casting my own stiffer mounts, with two unconnected bolts. My idea was to make a mold that has the bolts lines up either end and put some big cut washers on the end that will be cast to give it purchase. just an idea im sure the pucks will be fine as its quite a common thing I guess. Food for thought maybe.

Hopefully this year we can meet up somewhere!!!

Rides
    I've just read through all 5 pages, this will be an amazing car once finished, I love the look of S12's. Good luck with the build mate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by van_denton_san View Post
    Hey man looks like your cracking on with it!!!

I looked at doing hockey puck mounts too, even bought some. But from what I can tell you are basically solid mounting it, which is fine, I had a beetle with solid mounts once!!

I did look at casting my own stiffer mounts, with two unconnected bolts. My idea was to make a mold that has the bolts lines up either end and put some big cut washers on the end that will be cast to give it purchase. just an idea im sure the pucks will be fine as its quite a common thing I guess. Food for thought maybe.

Hopefully this year we can meet up somewhere!!!
    I'm slowly making progress, no end in sight yet. But I am sure I will pick up the pace once the weather and light cheer up!

And yeah, my brother had puck mounts in his s14 last year, made the car pretty damn rattly. But you cant argue with the cost effectiveness of it. The main reason I need them is because I need to get the engine sitting lower in the bay, this should give me plenty of freedom to get it just how I it.

And definitely, S12 meet sounds awesome!

Rides

Shim progress

Decided to make a start on my shim conundrum, luckily my brother has an SR20de with no future laying around in our shed. So I liberated one of its lifters and took it apart using a grinder, thankfully It looks like it will fit perfectly on the end of my dial indicator rod, and centers its self when they are pushed together. Will just need some small tack welds to hold it in place.

Rides
    welded it all up and removed the lifters last night, and gave it a quick test, seems like it will do the job!

Now I just need to take out all the bolts and find out which shim goes where, the 'fun' bit.

Rides
    bleed the lifters and measured all the shims. Ready for the the cams now.

Rides
    I was going to fit rocker stoppers, but considering that I have a negative bank balance and all the controversy over them. I will give them a miss for now.

Rides
    good recovery! What do the rocker stoppers do? stop them floating at high RPM?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by van_denton_san View Post
    good recovery! What do the rocker stoppers do? stop them floating at high RPM?
    Yeah that's the idea, some people say that it can just lead to them shattering instead though. Haha, the lack of coin made the decision a lot easier anyway!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by greydesigns View Post
    Yeah that's the idea, some people say that it can just lead to them shattering instead though. Haha, the lack of coin made the decision a lot easier anyway!
    I thought they stopped the rockers jumping off the lifters/valves when its at high RPM, would they shatter? if they are steel that's being heated and cooled wouldn't they be annealed as opposed to becoming brittle? I was looking at fitting them for peace of mind, as I am newish to drifting and occasionally stay on the limiter longer than I should. never heard of rockers shattering before, does anyone have photo proof? or first hand experience/evidence?

saying that I had a rocker arm that I didn't properly reseat after a head gasket change and it popped out when I first started it, that didn't actually damage anything (lucky) but made it run rough as hell.

hmmmmmmm........... food for thought for sure.
    Last edited by Polofour; 28-01-2015 at 12:46.

Rides
    I certainly wouldn't take my word on them. I am just loosely repeating what I thought I had read, there are a tonne of threads of people arguing over the merits of them on SRs, from what I found. It was a near 50 - 50 split of people saying no harm done and possible protection and then the exact opposite. For me since I have no money, its easier to just right them off for now. I know plenty of srs get knocked off the limiter and have seemingly had no I'll effects though.

Rides
    Fair one, I have done some reading after my last post, not sure if I will bother now either, I am getting some work done on my spare head soon, I will ask they guy at the engine shop. See what he suggests.

Rides
    Last week I got the head back together and the timing seemingly sorted. Plugs arrived today too.

Rides
    Its been a while, so I thought I should update the thread.

new spark plugs in, CAS in, head fully assembled, thermostat housing back on, and oil filter housing back on. Lower side of inlet manifold stripped, cleaned and reassembled ready to be fitted.

I retired my crappy desk into the shed too, I wish I had done this sooner!

What a difference it makes to be able to keep things clean on a table, instead of my dusty floor!

I put together this test of a large blasting box too, and it works ace. Just needs the other glove putting in, and a perspex windows on the top to make it clearer. Sadly however, my compressor sucks, and really doesn't have enough grunt to make good use of it...at-least it doubles up as a table until I can afford to get a better compressor!

Haha, I will finish this engine soon!...maybe...

I'm dieing to get the engine out of the S12, but I don't have space for it in the shed too, so I need to get this nearly done before I can move on.

I still need to decided what colour to go with on the rocker cover too, and I will probably pay someone to do a proper job of it again later once its in the car and I am really sure what colour I want it. Spray can job will do for now though.

Rides
    this is coming on well. how did you find rebuilding the engine? I also got my self a SR to rebuild now.

Rides
    looking good man! ..Any chance of some more info on your DIY blasting set up?