Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GreyDesigns - Sr20 S12 - Build

Rides
    Scary what a bit of Coke can do!

Rides

More welding & new engine arrived!

Been getting there with the welding, was pretty taxing to get the outer half of the inner arch mocked up. I had no reference as to how it should be as it was all just rotten. In the end I had to just get a rough plate welded on and just bend and grind it using the skirt as reference. Hopefully the clearance will be right, it doesnt have to be perfect with that trim going back on anyway.

Im in a bit of a rush to get this done now as my brother is itching to get his monster R32 in the shed for a new clutch. Planning to get this side finished and get the car back out of the shed this weekend. Fingers crossed...

SR20 Mk2 finally arrived too, I think I am going to take everything off this one and give it a proper clean and some paint. Haha, atleast I still have the old one for reference!

Rides
    that's great news and I think it's a fantastic idea to give it a good clean and paint! Especially since you have the old engine for reference, I would love that, didnt find any ****ed cheap engine yet to do the same with mine! ha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nessie View Post
    that's great news and I think it's a fantastic idea to give it a good clean and paint! Especially since you have the old engine for reference, I would love that, didnt find any ****ed cheap engine yet to do the same with mine! ha
    Thanks Nessie!
    Haha, and Yeah, looking on the bright side. The most expensive reference manual I have ever bought!

Rides

Monday again!

Got a fair bit of the welding done this weekend, pretty dissapointed I didn't manage get it finished and out of the shed though.
    I still need to finish the outer sill at the bottom, and the outer section is going to need filler to get smooth again. Slowly getting there though...

I still dont feel like I have reached a 'fun' part or really started this project yet, just spent a lot of money, and invested a lot of time. But ohwell, atleast I am learning new things, and it is possible the car could still be moving early next year. I just wish I had more time off work to really push into getting this car ready. Hopefully the otherside wont be such a pita now that I pretty much know what Im doing with the welder.

Bring on next weekend!

Rides
    Looks like you done a good job there mate, nice one. Its getting colder now so sucks to be doing that type of work.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by van_denton_san View Post
    Looks like you done a good job there mate, nice one. Its getting colder now so sucks to be doing that type of work.
    Thanks! And yeah, getting pretty cold now up here. At-least the fog light I have is as bright as the sun!

Almost done this side of the sill, I have a base layer of etch primer and I smoothed it over using some body filler (no pictures of that), just waiting on poly sealant to cover some of the welds, and fill the panel gap for the outer layer. Far from perfect, but it should be good enough to pass the mot and not be too much of an eyesore.

Rides

Monday Update!

Well the sill is painted up and the car is finally out of the shed again. I'm pretty pleased with it, I know its far from perfect, but it doesn't really have to be - the colour is a bit pinkish compared to its original red, but I don't think it stands out badly, so it will do for now. I decided to see how the other rotas fitted, and the offset seems good.

I also started to strip down the engine ready for cleaning and paint. Hopefully I will be able to get it all back together when I am done...Haha, so many hoses around that inlet!

- Overshadowed by my brothers R32 -

Feels like progress!

Rides

Impact Gun :D

Got an impact gun for the compressor, and took off the crank pulley...my god, where has this tool been all my life!?

I'm considering doing the head gasket and front cover while it is like this. I'm not sure where all that oil gunk has come from, maybe it is just the front crank seal, then been whipped up by the pulley? (going to change that anyway.)

I think I will put up a post in technical and see what the consensus is.

Rides
    like the progress!
    probably also easier to do the head gasket and front cover now

Rides
    Thats your normal sr20 leak. quite a common thing to find.

Like the S12! as said above, be good to get it done now

Rides
    Thanks guys, yeah. Going to try and get the head off tonight I think. Printed off a nice tutorial too to make sure I don't mess it up. Should be fun on a bun!

Rides
    Made a start on removing the head, was pretty short lived though as I didnt have a spanner to hold the cams for removing the sprockets, I thought the Impact might have worked, but since I dont really know what I am doing I want to follow the tutorial to the letter.

Anyway, TDC, chain marked just in case and CAS removed.

Was really nice taking off the rocker and not seeing a shredded engine like last time!

Anyway, hopefully I will get a bigger chunk done tonight.

Rides
    Got the cams off last night, I didn't have enough time to get much more done. I noticed that nissan actually mark all the cam holder things with a tag, so there shouldn't be anyway for me to get them muddled up.

Haha, and I managed to drop this bolt into the front case, its coming off anyway, so il fish it out later.

Rides

Head off, time to clean.

That is everything off that needs to come off now...haha, basically everything but the bottom end.

I started to degrease everything, now I need to order paint and gaskets, I am really short on funds atm though. Hopefully I can stretch far enough to get those though, that way I can get the engine finished and back together before the end of December, and if the weather plays ball. Maybe get the CA out of the S12. I think Cosworth head gasket, and OEM kit for the rest, probably ARP head bolts too (will need to google and see if that is the done thing.)

Rides

Cleaning and Painting

This weekend I started on spraying a bunch of stuff.
    Loads of degreasing, sanding and wiring brushing.

About 3-4 coats of paint, far from perfect, but no one is exactly going to be examining it, so it will do.

One side of the block prepped for paint.

And it looks so much better now!

Rides
    woooow that turned out well so far!
    love all the detailed pics as well
    what kind of tutorial did you use? something official or a DIY from another forum etc?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nessie View Post
    woooow that turned out well so far!
    love all the detailed pics as well
    what kind of tutorial did you use? something official or a DIY from another forum etc?
    Thanks Nessie! (Sorry I thought I replied to this, must have forgotten to!)

Tutorial wise I used (http://tech.240sxone.com/529/re-seal...1-disassembly/) this to make sure I was taking it apart properly, and I have the Nissan workshop manual downloaded for putting it back together and other bits and bobs too. I love how many great resources there are for working on these engines!

Painting wise, just masking off any holes or threads, with lots of degreaser and carefully rinsing and drying each piece before the paint goes on. Seems to be holding great so far!

Rides
    Bah, Happy new year!

I have been a lazy shit over the holidays pretty much, didn't get nearly as much done on the SR as I should have.

So what I did get done - I finished painting the main engine bits, and have started getting it back together now. I have ordered some copper gasket spray to use with my HG since I haven't gotten it skimmed, a few people seem to say its a good idea regardless. So I am just going with that. I also checked the valves to make sure they weren't leaking, all seemed good, so I will just leave them alone for now.

I also bought another BMW that needs work for some reason (GF was thrilled,) adding that to my collection of none running vehicles, I had to take the inconvenient and overly expensive bus to work today. I'm going to put all my old mods onto this new 325, have some fun with it and then hopefully sell it for a good profit. As much as I am looking forward to getting back on the track with it, the extra stress it has brought so far was really not welcome, I probably should have left it alone.

Slightly behind scheduled, but I'm not too worried. When the nights get lighter and warmer I will be able to get more done, I am not a winter person at all.

Rides
    Not my most successful weekend.

I fitted the head gasket and torqued everything up, but then realized I had forgotten to put the washers under the bolts...So I will be buying another head gasket and starting again, Yay! - hopefully the bolts have not stretched out of tolerance for the FSM and can be used again, I really don't have the money to be screwing up like this.

And my mistake of muddling up the shims when taking apart the head has also come back to haunt me. No idea which on goes where, I was trying to work it out with the dial indicator siting on the flat section in the center of the head, but because the shims sit at an angle, it means I need to find the highest point of each to work out which is which. Unsurprisingly moving about the dial so much has an effect on the readings, and is making it hard to be certain. I might have to fabricate up a tool for this.

Its very disappointing to be an amateur making amateur mistakes, though not ones I will make again. I really cant wait to have my own garage to work in...

My new sand blaster arrived however, so when I get the head back on (again) I should be able to strip down the other bits for refurbishing a bit faster.