Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: GreyDesigns - Sr20 S12 - Build

Rides
    not to fear monger but make sure 100% that you have that valve cover cleaned of all blasting grit,

i have first hand experience with two engines failing because minute amounts of the blasting media was still in the rocker cover (behind the baffle)

would hate to see all this awesome work go to waste

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    not to fear monger but make sure 100% that you have that valve cover cleaned of all blasting grit,

i have first hand experience with two engines failing because minute amounts of the blasting media was still in the rocker cover (behind the baffle)

would hate to see all this awesome work go to waste
    Very true, and has been my concern too. As well as cleaning it myself, I plan on finding somewhere local that can run it through a bath for me. Haha, I will not be taking any chances! Cheers for the heads up though

Rides

Today was turbo day!

Took off the housing, and other bits that were in the way.

Sand blasted, and washed it.

Then the boring job of masking it all off using the very narrow heat proof tape that I have. Haha, I will be ordering some wider stuff now, this sucked! - I had to get creative with the old gaskets too.

I am committed now...

Temptation got the better of me, and I ended up chrome coating it. Instead of the subtle black I had planned on doing...

Here is the test I did before, to see what it would be like. I was pretty surprised at how well it came out considering I didn't even bother to clean this bit of scrap!

That was me for the day really, pretty disappointing as I didn't get as far as I had hoped to. And the weather was too ugly most of the day to bother doing any more to the car...

Now for another 5 days of work before I can make another dent in this project.

Rides
    Holy smokes that looks amazing, ive never seen chrome powder coating. Ive had stuff vac metalised before, must be similar. ACE!!!!! You need to now coat that turbo in a dark red candy! hahhahah

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by van_denton_san View Post
    Holy smokes that looks amazing, ive never seen chrome powder coating. Ive had stuff vac metalised before, must be similar. ACE!!!!! You need to now coat that turbo in a dark red candy! hahhahah
    Haha, Its funny that you should say that as that had been my plan! I did a test with candy red over the chrome, but it came out a bit too light and pinkish and I didn't want to risk it on the turbo in the end. I have so many dead T28s around now that I might try one later though!

Rides
    Yeah, ive done a candy motorbike tank over a silver before. It took like 12 coats to get it red, as the candy is so transparent, then a few clears over the top and it really pops.

Rides
    Fairly busy weekend.

S12 engine is out, finally!

Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    make sure 100% that you have that valve cover cleaned of all blasting grit
    I also decided to heed the warnings of 59bhp and do a proper job of cleaning the valve cover, so I bought a new dremel to replace the two others I killed last year, and got to grinding off the rivets.

My cat provided his expert advice...

A fair amount of dirty oil on one side, but free of the blasting grit surprisingly.

I then cleaned it up with oven cleaner and then petrol and lots of water to make sure all the oven cleaner was gone. I should have just used degresser, but I was out and thought I would try something else, it did the job, but I wont be using it again. I gave it another go over with the blaster, and I will probably do it one more time before I powder coat it.

CA happy in the shed, I really like this little engine. I wish I had a need for it.

I fished out my SR box too, and started getting the Ca bellhousing off.

Pretty well stuck on there, I will have another go at it tonight.

I was hoping to get the turbo back on, but I have decided to order some nice new Nord-lock washers and flang nuts. So I will have to hold off on that for now.

Next jobs on the list, gearbox swap, finsih on the turbo & build an extension for my oven so I can actually fit my rocker in.

Thats it for now.

Rides
    Nice new flange bolts, nord lock washers and some flange nuts for the turbo manifold / elbow.

Then the one of the studs decided to snap, so I drilled it to use and extractor. Then it snapped too. Damn...

With that frustration I decided to do something more fun, and started stripping down the S12 front end. I quite like it in mad max mode now.

Rides
    I hate those extractors, one of the second hand turbos I bought had a snapped stud so I used an extractor on it and surprise surprise it snapped! Tried to drill that out but its hardend so was a nightmare, ended up getting a machine shop to sort it out, cost 20£. So if I were you id just buy another manifold for 15£ hahhahaha..

I cant wait to see your engine go in dude!

Rides
    Wohoo, I bought a used alloy Mishimoto radiator from a friend in Aberdeen, I think that with a bit of a clean it will look pretty mint too. I love it!

Rides
    I hate those extractors, one of the second hand turbos I bought had a snapped stud so I used an extractor on it and surprise surprise it snapped! Tried to drill that out but its hardend so was a nightmare, ended up getting a machine shop to sort it out, cost 20£. So if I were you id just buy another manifold for 15£ hahhahaha..

I cant wait to see your engine go in dude!
    Yeah, they are either fantastic or awful I find. And like you say, no chance of drilling them out with a diy drill.

Still a long way to go, but I am slowly getting to the fun stuff now. Seeing yours coming on is motivational, I will have to come down for a drift day or something next year!

Rides
    That Mishimoto rad looks identical to my driftworks one! must be a mishimoto then!

Yeah we should meet half way somewhere. so when we break our cars we both equally as far awayfrom home as each other hahhaha

Are you going to sort out the s12 loom? I hate on mine there's loads of unused wires and plugs etc. just sitting there taped up, looks a right mess. I cant wait to pull it all out and take out all the crap. My plan was to get it all running then take it all out etc. but now I got it running I just want to drive it.

Rides
    That Mishimoto rad looks identical to my driftworks one! must be a mishimoto then!

Yeah we should meet half way somewhere. so when we break our cars we both equally as far awayfrom home as each other hahhaha

Are you going to sort out the s12 loom? I hate on mine there's loads of unused wires and plugs etc. just sitting there taped up, looks a right mess. I cant wait to pull it all out and take out all the crap. My plan was to get it all running then take it all out etc. but now I got it running I just want to drive it.
    Yeah, my plan had been to go with a SuperCool, but this one came up and saved me some money! My brothers SuperCool looks great too though.

And yeah, I'm pretty much done pulling the loom out of the bay. No idea what will go back in or stay out yet though, haha. I'l let my future self deal with that mess!

Rides
    After failing to drill out the extractor, and not being able to adequately weld the stud back in. I decided to go for the more radical approach and just plug the holes and seam weld the turbo to the manifold. If the welds crack later then so be it! - I have no money to be buying replacement manifolds atm anyway.

Another small win, it turns out that the power steering banjos are the same, so that will be a straight plug in and play with the S12 rack.

I've been clearing out more of the engine bay too, now I just need to get the dash out to push the loom out of the firewall.

Rides
    That's a sweet looking radiator....hope you got a good deal....;-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MapBoy View Post
    That's a sweet looking radiator....hope you got a good deal....;-)
    Haha, you know I did! - I just can't wait to see it sitting pretty in its new bay! Thanks again btw.

Rides
    This weekend I got the dash out so I could finish clearing the engine bay of wires, and found that there were two immobilisers that were bodged into the car, haha, what a damn mess. I will have a fair amount of snipping and soldering to pull it all out and put the wiring back to the way it should be. I hate immobilisers.

Now the bay is pretty much fully cleared for me to start the refurbishment on it though. A few rusty holes to patch up too, but nothing serious. The car still has a lot of fuel in it that I want to drain before I put sparks around my (now exposed) fuel lines...

And I got the bellhousing off the gearbox, I had never opened up a gearbox before. Beautiful machinery!

I still don't know why I love this car so much, no engine in it, and full of holes. I just would not trade it for anything atm. Haha, it will have been worth the effort one day...

Rides
    Definitely worth the effort. Ive done 500 miles in mine now and its a blast. Ive terrorised a few type r's and nothing can beat that!

Rides
    Cross member and all other geometry bits are off now

I got a chance look at my mounts in position too.

And I have started to cut up metal for my oven extension, It should be able to take the cross memeber in it too which will be really cool to have powder coated. I was going to weld the aluminium, but the few tests I did on scrap were utter hell, birds nested twice and has wrecked the motor on my mig. Never again, Haha! Rivets and sealant will be the way to go I think.

Rides

New Equipment

I have been waiting ages to order a new compressor, finally bit the bullet. Very happy with it, I wanted a bigger one originally, but having this one setup and on its wheels, I think it will be perfect for my needs. It seems to fill as fast as I can possibly drain it anyway, so capacity should be fine.

A fair step up from my 24ltr!

Another thing I had been putting off buying, a miter saw. Nothing fancy, but it did a good job on its first test. So it will do. Beats the cutting box.

With the new saw I finished off the other pieces of the oven in no time, just need to put the thing together now. And find some high temp glass for a window.

GF has only just worked out how much I am spending on this project that hides in the shed instead of saving for a house , and is not at all happy...I think I will be killed when I order the coilovers, intercooler and adjustable front geometry. At least I have my priorities right.