Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: GreyDesigns - Sr20 S12 - Build

Rides

Powder Coating, and way too many photos.

This weekend I built my oven extension. Which ended up taking all day as clamping, drilling holes and riveting takes bloody ages! Was very satisfying to see it just pop together though, even if I would have rather welded it.

There were some holes at just the right height on the oven to hold the box nice and flush against the doors rubber seal. So I just have a bolt with some nuts stuck at a set distance and slot it in and push it down and that is it locked in place.

And here is the coated box. It is just tinfoil tape and some loft thermal lining.

Still needs a practical baking test to make sure the heat is even, and a bit more insulation as it can get very hot on the back wall. But the oven did get up to temp, so it is a step in the right direction.

The other thing I did was test out the powder for my rocker cover. The Red and white are exactly what I wanted, and the blue candy over chrome is pretty much there, applying it is hard though. I think I will order some more and do a few more tests before I commit fully, but I am pleased with how this came out with two coats. I might try and add some sparkles to the chrome base too...

Hopefully get the actual valve cover done next weekend

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Loving the diy powder coating set up. Good work
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Thanks, Chris

Rides

Rocker Cover Paint Started

I finally built up the courage to start on the rocker cover, I started by laying down and baking the red and white in two coats, then I covered the whole thing in chrome powder and dabbed off all the lettering. And it came out of the oven like this, honestly looks so great in person. Blew my mind when I took off the oven door.

Tonight I will try and lay the dark candy blue on the chrome, and hopefully not wreck it in the process!

Last edited by greydesigns; 20-07-2015 at 14:12.

Rides
    This looks awesome! the overn extension looks boss man, really nice job. Id be tempted to leave it like that! looks great.

Rides
    Well I tried to get it blue, but I didn't bake it in the end. I could see that it was going to look bad. So I cleaned it all off and will just keep it chrome for now.

Rides
    need to see it in the daylight!! that chromey goodness

Rides
    I didn't get too much done this weekend as I was helping a friend powdercoat his rocker cover.

That said, I did manage to get the Frankenstein gearbox put together (CA box to SR bellhousing.) Very pleased that it ended up being pretty straight forward, though just a little bit fiddly. I think I will just spray it black and keep it simple.

I also got the baffles sealed back onto the cover, and the new rubber gaskets on. Still a few things to do here, but I am loving the way it looks atm, even if it isn't really what I had planned colour wise.

I also got a small job off the list, and fitted the new release bearing, which was easy enough even without a press.

Good weekend.

Rides
    Mate!!!! How good does that engine look!!!!Are you gonna paint the bay?

Rides
    Wow, the polished cover with red/white text and black exhaust wrap is a sexy combo.

Rides
    Thanks guys, really pleased that you like it! And yes, engine bay is next on the list, a fair few holes to sort in it before paint though sadly. I will be going for the stock red I think.

Rides
    Welder fixed, so I am now starting my attack on the front end rust to get it ready for paint.

Nice big hole on the drivers side arch that I didn't know about...

Battery tray out.

Most of the cuts made under the drivers side arch.

Haha, so much work to do, but it is a lot of fun hacking it up at least.

Rides
    Got a fair bit of the welding done on the drivers side today.

I ended up cutting out a bit at the bottom of the turret too as I could see it was quite thin.

I need to find a way of clamping all these bits together so I can do the spot (plug) welds, and I will still need to grind back my ugly welds too.

Rides

Front end welding is done :D

I was made redundant so hadn't had much time to spare for the car (ironically,) because I have been working on my portfolio full time trying to train up to switch industry. But I took a week to put some time into the S12, so all the welding is done on the front now. I should be able to get paint this week and start getting it prepped next week. Feels nice to have made some progress again, I cant wait to actually drive it...some time in the future.

Rides
    Awesome progress. Nice to see your replicating the factory metal. Are you gonna re-spray the whole bay? same colour?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by van_denton_san View Post
    Awesome progress. Nice to see your replicating the factory metal. Are you gonna re-spray the whole bay? same colour?
    Thanks! And yeah, I am just waiting on paint now. So hopefully very soon, my shed gets very damp though, so I am limited by the weather. I really want to get it back on its feet and moved to my brothers house before next year (his new place has some incredible sheds and a four post lift, much better for welding sills!) I've just bought some old CS2 coilovers too, so I just need to sort out the rest of the front end geometry and then I should have all the parts I need, for now at least.

Rides
    I had a couple of jobs to do that I had forgotten about, first up was to make some mounts for radiator. I used some 3mm steel and drilled 10mm holes to match the mounts on the Mishimoto. The welds are ugly but they will never be seen and are more than strong enough to have the radiator sitting pretty.

And then I had a sheared bolt to extract from the chassis rail, I cant remember what it was for tbh, maybe subframe. Either way, it was a pita. I ended up building up a weldcicle™ and and then a welding a nut onto that and just wiggling it out at very low psi with the impact gun. Very easy to do the right way up. Upside down getting good enough penetration took 3 attempts. I'm chuffed it came out without having to use the drill of angle grinder though.

And the result.

I've been gathering up all my paint supplies and buying up front end geometry too, so paint this week hopefully (weather dependent!)

Rides
    Time for a 2016 update me thinks!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by van_denton_san View Post
    Time for a 2016 update me thinks!!!
    I wish I had one; I have hardly been near it this year yet. Scotland was too wet and icy to get my painting done while I had the time. Still looking for a damn job too, haha, takes up more time than actually working...urgh, seeing my car unfinished is the worst! - 2016 will end better...

Rides

Well, it is painted now.

I decided not to update this until I finally got it painted, I was sick of rereading my "going to get this painted soon.." comments.

Anyway, I refurbished some s13 CS2s, and driftworks control arms, the rack and some other bits only got a quick rattle can job.

Engine bay painting went okay, after a fiasco with reacting paint that messed up really badly. But oh-well, finally red!

Unfortunately, I have now moved to Manchester (was in Aberdeen) so the car has been left up north. I will finish it, I just don't know how long it is going to take...