Thread: Subframe boomerangs

Rides

Subframe boomerangs

Hi,just double checking that the subframe boomerang things get taken off and not refitted after doing polybushes in rear subframe?

Rides
    I'd only not refit them with solid bushes dude

Rides
    With poly bushes I'd not bother refitting them.

Rides
    Refit them, why would you want to remove bracing from your car?

Rides
    Because part of the job of the upgraded bush is to do the job of the boomerang.

Rides
    Solid bushes hold the subby 'Solid' as in it cant move it is mounted 'solidly' to the chassis
    polys CAN/DO move so why would you want to remove something that resists that movement of the sub frame?
    I can see removing them is not a great idea,even if it had solids its still bracing the frame to the chassis
    And this is coming from Mr weight reduction,if its doing a job of bracing/strengthening some thing why remove it
    ho hum lets see what others have to say about it

Rides
    No offense but is this where you pluck another set if fantastic figures from thin air?

The bush does not move side to side. If it did, it would be pointless.

Rides
    Poly's do have give, this it why they noticeably transfer less noise to the cabin. They're not fully solid, this is the job of 'solid' bushes, funnily enough. The boomerang just triangulates the bottom of the subframe mount, I see no reason in not refitting it if I'm honest. It doesn't attach to the subframe anyway, just the the mount/bottom of the bush, so it doesn't do the job of a poly bush!
    Last edited by Slamz; 21-06-2014 at 17:09.

Rides
    I refitted mine after fitting solid bushes, they weigh naff all and I would rather have extra bracing even if they are made redundant by the solid bushes.

I would say together they weigh less than a kilo?

Rides
    Give me strength.

If you're fitting poly bushes with side to side play then you need to buy better bushes.

Rides
    Refit them even with solid bushes, 4 rusty mounted 15+year old glorified studs have to cope with heavy acceleration,breaking and twisting(from turning).Pretty sure the whole Idea of the plates it to stop the forward and backwards movement/force thats applied to the subframe.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Refit them even with solid bushes, 4 rusty mounted 15+year old glorified studs have to cope with heavy acceleration,breaking and twisting(from turning).Pretty sure the whole Idea of the plates it to stop the forward and backwards movement/force thats applied to the subframe.
    Excatly, they help stop movement in the subframe mounts, they don't bolt on to the subframe. Everyone knows how prone those studs are to breaking, so they're not the worlds strongest mount.

Rides
    When has a 200SX ever broken a subframe mount stud in day to day operation?

And I don't mean thru breaking on stripping down.

Rides
    I'm with Piman on this one, no need for them at all with solid bushes. It's no different to cars that have subframes that are bolted straight to the chassis, some rally cross cars for example. They just have threaded inserts mounted in the chassis rather than studs. The boomerangs are just to restrict movement with the standard rubber bushes. You could fit them back on if you want but it's not necessary.

After being on here for something like 7+ years the only time I've heard of a subframe stud failing is due to corroded threads snapping when trying to undo the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Ok cheers for info.
    Basically I noticed they were not refitted after I had someone do all the subframe bushes and diff mounts with polys.
    I would've liked them on there, but will check to see if the bolts sheared or something to stop them being put back on.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by integra View Post
    Ok cheers for info.
    Basically I noticed they were not refitted after I had someone do all the subframe bushes and diff mounts with polys.
    I would've liked them on there, but will check to see if the bolts sheared or something to stop them being put back on.
    If the bolts sheared, the bushes wouldn't go back on. You will find that its just someone has chosen not to refit them when they replaced the bushes.

Rides
    I've refitted them with polybushes. Only really as a matter of course. As said, they aren't heavy and it can't hurt.

Rides
    Ok, I was told the bushes are now too big so they wouldn't allow them to be refitted?
    I will look into fitting them back on.

Also, is there a reason since having this done, my wheels now catch slightly on arches when they weren't before?!