Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uneven ride height

Rides

uneven ride height

I have just fitted my rear apex coilovers, i checked all the measurements were the same on both of them which they are they are second hand ones but very good condition!

Now the problem is that my nsr sits about 2" lower than the osr.

will it just settle with some driving?

I dont really want to adjust one to compensate the other.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    That's a strange one . Is everything exactly the same from on to the other? As I know I fitted some coilovers to a mates 14a and it sat wrong due to a washer or collet thing was in in the wron sequence on the top.

Rides
    Usually you cant adjust them same and expect the car to sit the same left and right. You dont have the same weight on each wheel, thats why you need to adjust ot several times to get it right. Best way is to use scales. But you can measure the hight on all wheels. And if you did some bodywork or roll your fenders, you cant be sure that they are all the same now.

Rides
    Everything is exactly the same left and right!
    And my arches are standard they havent been touched in anyway!

I understand they may be slightly off and need some adjustment to get the car to sit level but 2" seems alot to me.

Rides
    sounds like one is ****ed really.... hhmmmm.
    adjusting one shock differently to the other will obviously effect handling so not sure what to say ha.
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    pull both off and double check everything, take measurements from the eyelet to the top hat as that will determine your ride height, if thats the same then thers something wrong with the mounting points or wrong spring so its not supporting the weight of the car 2" is a lot ha....... or not something like diffrent spings i.e the front and rear springs are the wrong way round?

Rides
    Having the same problem on mine. Set all the coilovers up identical each side and one the back passenger side is higher and on front drivers in higher

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rides
    take measurements from the eyelet to the top hat as that will determine your ride height, if thats the same then thers something wrong with the mounting points or wrong spring.

i would of thought that the measurement taken from the eyelet to the top mount should be approximately the same!

Rides
    Before you start taking it back to pieces, take it for a little drive.

Then park it on a perfectly flat surface. Then measure wheel hub centre to vertically above it on the wheel arch.

Front to rear won't be the same but left to right should be.

Then report back.

Did you set the preload the same on all 4 ?

Rides
    Thread bump!

I have done what jonny said and also rechecked all the measurements on the coilovers themselves and i have got about a 10mm difference from left to right.

Can i just adjust the height on one to match the other?

Rides
    If that is on a perfectly flat surface (not on the road but in the garage or somewhere where the floor has been screeded), then adjust the ride heights on the coilies. Move the high one down 3mm and the low one up 3mm. 3mm will give you about 5mm at the wheel.

You can adjust them on the car, you just need to unlock the bottom collar then turn the whole upper assembly and it will spin on the top mount, screwing in or out of the lower assembly. You will need to take the weight off the coilover by jacking the car.

Before you do adjust it, check that you have the same preload on the spring. Wind the top collar back by 6mm at which point it should have 1mm of movement for the spring between the spring seats. If it does, just wind it back up 6mm. If it doesn't have 1mm of movement, back it off or wind it up until it does have 1mm of movement, then wind it up 6mm.

After you've made any adjustments of preload or ride height, take it for another spin before measuring and adjusting again.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 13-08-2014 at 09:41.

Rides
    Awesome i will do that at lunchtime cheers jonny

Rides
    Swap them side to side and see if the jacked up side moves.

Disconnect anti roll bar and measure from arch to hub. If not the same then the links have been done up in wrong position. All suspension link bolts should be done up with hubs at normal ride height. That means either sat on it's wheels or with anti roll bar disconnected and the hub on a jack.

Got a front spring on one side? Springs should have some sort of colour paint code on them.

Rides
    I havent done what skyshack suggested above due to another issue.

However today i fitted my new uprated arb and loosened the bottom mounts then re-tightened with the car sat on the ground and now i have a gap of about 1inch on one side and 2 & a half inch on the other!

Whats going on?

Rides
    After going for a ride ?

Rides
    Yea drove home about 10miles!!

Rides
    So you dropped the car off the jacks with all arms loosened at the chassis side and ARB loose top and bottom then clamped them up while they were on the ground on a flat level surface and its all wonky now ?

Rides
    No only the coilover bottom mounts!

Rides
    Doh !

You need to tighten the bolts on the arms so they are in their natural, central position for driving with no twisting of the bushes. As you go over bumps the bushes will twist but from an untwisted position and will return to an untwisted position when they have finished.

Tightening them when they are up in the air will mean they are trying to straighten when the car is sitting on the ground not going over bumps etc.

It is a faff having to tighten them when the car is on the ground. Its a doddle if its on a drive-on lift.

Rides
    We talking about the arb droplink bolts?