Thread: Ca18det timing

Rides

Ca18det timing

Just a very quick one. I couldn't find a definitive answer by searching just the usual about the position of the main toothed crank pulley.

I swapped the head on my friends s13 recently and as I didn't want to take the bottom pulley off due to the usual issues of chipping it etc and the cam belt isn't that old. I timed up the bottom end with a dial gauge to get number 1 piston to TDC. Then lined up the cam belt marks on the cams.

There is no valve contact so started the car and it runs lovely. The only thing is that it feels flat as a pancake when driving as if the cam belt is a tooth out or something. so just want to confirm that the main timing mark on the crank pulley itself is relating to TDC.

Or even better if anyone can remember what mark on the aux belt pulley lines up with the marker when the cam timing marks are all lined up.
    I went by the workshop manual to double check and it says TDC is the second mark in from the left. Which also lined up as I expected.

Sorry as I'm assuming this has been asked a million times but I've not had much luck using the new tapatalk app when it comes to searching.

Thanks again.

Rides
    Fairly certain you are right that it should be the second mark in from the right on the aux pulley for TDC, I was warned about using that to check timing from though, I think because the key on the crank can wear and cause it to wander, sure someone who knows what they are talking about can confirm or not shortly!

Presumably you have checked the ignition timing?

Rides
    We checked the ignition timing and it put the CAS about 3/4 to one side which sent alarm bells.
    You sat first mark over from the right. I'm sure it was from the left but will check tonight to confirm. Thanks for the help.

Rides
    15 degrees is 2nd mark from the right when looking from front of the car!

Rides
    Ah that's right that's what I assumed. Thanks. Will be checking now.