Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch not disengaging

Rides
    Time to get the box off I suspect

Rides
    Well you have ruled out the Master Cylinder, the Hydraulic Lines, the Slave Cylinder, the Fork... All that's left is stuff inside the box. Clutch itself (4 years is getting on a bit) and release bearing would be the first port of call....

Rides
    Booked in with Graham at DCMS on Saturday. Have full faith he will find out the problem

Rides
    Another update -- noticing now the clutch pedal goes rock solid after hard acceleration. Thought at first it was harder just because I had replaced the crap pipework with something shorter but it's definitely going between normal and hard.

Think it's probably the release bearing...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Another update -- noticing now the clutch pedal goes rock solid after hard acceleration.
    Rock solid, or rock solid until you press unusually hard ? then it gives movement suddenly

either your Mrs is an eco person and is nobbling your car.........
    or some piece of metal is falling backwards under acceleration and sticking against another lump of metal.

Could it be the pedal pivot point ?
    There must be some bushes in the pedal box itself as the pedal pivots.. Could they be worn out and catching ?

Rides
    Hi

So the clutch needed replacing, which has been done. Bite point is off the floor now and all is good, but weirdly the pedal soft / hardness still varies.

Very strange, it feels like there is air in the system before escaping again. I might try giving it another bleed and see if anything comes out.

Jon -- maybe rock hard was a bad description, it just feels like the spring becomes very firm / strong (but still feels *normal* so to speak). When it is 'softer' there is a little bit of free play at the top of the pedal before hitting the spring.

I'm assuming this can't be anything in the clutch housing as it's pretty much all been replaced, so must be hydraulics related..

Rides
    I am interested, because today my own clutch pedal is feeling too heavy again.

In 2010 I had my original clutch replaced, and the pedal went from feeling normal (normal to me) to feeling so light I thought something was broken.

Over years since, it seems to have got progressively heavier again, and is noticeable now because the car had a week in dock recently , and I was driving other cars for a few days.

About a year ago I had a bout of snatchy gritty pedal action and variable biting point , which was fixed by replacing the slave cylinder
    (again, as it was replaced approx 2004 as well)

Today's pedal is heavy, but is smooth in action and the biting point is consistent, so actually nothing like your symptoms, sorry.

Rides
    Sometimes after the clutch is replaced the pedal feels lighter because you haven't noticed it getting heavier as it's wearing.