Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eBay T28 Turbo's

Rides

eBay T28 Turbo's

Anyone ever ran one of these "cheap" "chinese" "shit" turbos?

Never actually known anyone to run one just read people slagging them off constantly.

Might give one a crack, whats the worst that can happen, it shit's itself and blows some shards into the FMIC!?

Here's a few examples:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231236912852

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200633253875

www.ebay.co.uk/itm221409371193

Rides
    IIRC Dan (DBpower) ran one (I think it was a TD series) and it ran fine.

I don't know if there's a method to spotting good ones from the bad, as some people find the fall apart when just fitting it to the car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    IIRC Dan (DBpower) ran one (I think it was a TD series) and it ran fine.

I don't know if there's a method to spotting good ones from the bad, as some people find the fall apart when just fitting it to the car.
    Well I thought the cars never going to be more than stage 2 (300 BHP on standard injectors) so why not go for one of these?

It's only a few more quid then what a 2nd hand genuine Garrett costs thats been thrashed for 80,000 miles odd.

Put the myth to the test.

Rides
    I've had a couple on various cars and I found the seals fail before too long and they start to smoke.

Have a read of this for some idea:

http://turboconcepts.net/news-2/cheap-knock-off-turbos/

Rides
    Cool look forward to updates!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I would take a used Garrett over a new unbrand every time. A GT28 if treated well should last the life of a car.

Interestingly enough, there's more to a good turbo than whether or not it will explode if you use it. There was a time in fact that that just wasn't a question people pondered because they never considered buying shite.

Rides
    Use a branded or OEM Actuator and go for it, see what happens!

Rides
    it tends to be quite random with Chinese turbos, they are a part for part copy of the oe unit made using cheaper materials and manufacturing processes. So sometimes they are 'okay' sometimes there are flaws in the casting etc as the Chinese seem to struggle with quality control.

If you have a spare couple of quid go for it but plan on having to change it again pretty soon. However you could be surprised it is essentially a gamble

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnay View Post
    I've had a couple on various cars and I found the seals fail before too long and they start to smoke.

Have a read of this for some idea:

http://turboconcepts.net/news-2/cheap-knock-off-turbos/
    Yeah, seen all that stuff before, interesting to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I would take a used Garrett over a new unbrand every time. A GT28 if treated well should last the life of a car.
    Moneys tight at the moment unfortunately or I'd go for a rebuilt T28 / GT28.

Quote Originally Posted by jizzle View Post
    Use a branded or OEM Actuator and go for it, see what happens!
    Could use my current actuator off my genuine T28.

Whats the trim of the standard T28? Inducer/exducer?

I'm trying to make sense of this: http://website.lineone.net/~jon_ed/Turbo_Table.htm and compare to this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311006056560
    Last edited by silverzx; 10-07-2014 at 10:04.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    Might give one a crack, whats the worst that can happen, it shit's itself and blows some shards into the FMIC!?
    And shits a lot of bearing material into your oil which then destroys your engine...

Rides
    I have wondered this myself. "Chinese" these days isn't as much of a byword for "sh1t" as it used to be. But I don't think I want to risk it. Would be good to hear some genuine reviews rather than the usual "its Chinese it will be crap" from people who haven't actually run them though!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin89 View Post
    I have wondered this myself. "Chinese" these days isn't as much of a byword for "sh1t" as it used to be. But I don't think I want to risk it. Would be good to hear some genuine reviews rather than the usual "its Chinese it will be crap" from people who haven't actually run them though!
    I have never run a non oem turbo but the company I work for competes against many Chinese turbo manufacturers so I have had hands on experience of them. I found that aesthetically they look very similar, the are dimensionally very similar, however it is in the material and machining processes/surface finish where they fall down. it is quite obvious once stripped where the savings have been made

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    I have never run a non oem turbo but the company I work for competes against many Chinese turbo manufacturers so I have had hands on experience of them. I found that aesthetically they look very similar, the are dimensionally very similar, however it is in the material and machining processes/surface finish where they fall down. it is quite obvious once stripped where the savings have been made
    I couldn't agree more.

Obviously they aren't going to be to the same standard as genuine OEM/Garrett units, otherwise they wouldn't be so cheap!

My other option is to stip my T28 down and rebuild it with new seals, thrust bearing etc.

Rides
    I couldn't agree more.

Obviously they aren't going to be to the same standard as genuine OEM/Garrett units, otherwise they wouldn't be so cheap!

My other option is to stip my T28 down and rebuild it with new seals, thrust bearing etc.
    one of the main reasons Chinese parts are so cheap is not the cost to make the part its the fact that labour is so cheap its practically nothing

Rides
    one of the main reasons Chinese parts are so cheap is not the cost to make the part its the fact that labour is so cheap its practically nothing
    Makes sense.

Still, the difference in casting etc looks pretty evident just from the pictures.

Rides
    Spot on. They use cheaper grade materials and cheaper machining processes which is where they save money. However, with modern technology the cheaper materials and cheaper processes aren't as far away from the genuine ones as they used to be. So the cheap Chinese stuff is getting better. Not saying its good enough yet as I have no experience with them. But I would imagine in a few years time they will be pretty close!

Rides
    This one?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200952569142

Model: GT2876  
    Compressor: A/R 0.70
    Inducer 57.9mm
    Exducer 73.0mm
    Inlet 4"
    Outlet 2.5"
    Turbine: A/R 0.86
    Inducer 53.8mm
    Exducer 46.8mm
    Turbine flange T25
    Outlet 5 bolt
    Cooled type: Water cold  
    Bearing Wet Float Bearings  
    Power 400+hp  
    Application: Universal turbo

In all seriousness there isn't that much choice, the correctly flanged ones seem to be around £170.

Such as this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221486469384

Exhaust (Turbo Manifold) Flange Standard T25/T28 Flange
    Exhaust (Downpipe) Flange Stand 5 bolt
    Cooling Type Water + Oil
    Wastegate Internal Wastegate
    Horse Power Boost Horse Power up to 270 BHP
    Compressor Trim Inducer Diamter Exducer Diamter A/R
    55 44.6 mm 60 mm 0.5
    Turbine Trim Inducer Diamter Exducer Diamter A/R
    76 53 mm 46.2 mm 0.64
    Fit for Good for all 1.8L-3.0L engine

Take a look here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Turbos-Sup...&_skc=50&rt=nc
    Last edited by silverzx; 10-07-2014 at 10:56.

Rides
    Accidental double post.

Rides
    Just get yours rebuilt, you know the history and will get a warranty, also you won't be wasting your money on a turbo that might last...

Rides
    Moneys tight at the moment unfortunately or I'd go for a rebuilt T28 / GT28.
    If money is already tight, can you afford the gamble if it writes off your engine?

Save a bit more. Get a proper turbo.