Thread: Chrome effect paint suggestions

Rides

Chrome effect paint suggestions

I'm currently in the midst of refurbing my blitz type 03's and want as close to a full polish / chrome look as possible.

i've found a kit that gives pretty impressive results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtRYZ5EasA

a 16 sq/ft kit costs £170 so i'd only go this route if its guaranteed to give results like in the video.

has anyone ever used or came across this? i'm concerned by the longevity of the coating without a lacquer to protect it and getting a lacquer to adhere to the chrome effect coating would probably be problematic.

does anyone know of any regular paints that give a good bright silver finish? i'd like the polished / chrome look but as close as possible would be ok if it can be done cheaper.

cheers

Rides
    Think you can get chrome powder coat now. Not amazingly shiney though.

Rides
    i've seen that and had quotes around £30-£40 per wheel but like you say its not really shiney enough for my liking.

i also came across paint made by a company called mipa on ebay. £30 odd for a litre but there is no pics of the finish so you'd be taking a punt and from what i've been reading the chrome paints aren't much cope.

Rides
    The finish doesn't look that great in the video. Well, it's about as good as you'd expect if you simply spraying it on with a bottle but looks pap imo. Pretty expensive too

Do people wrap wheels?

Rides

Chrome effect paint suggestions

I'm completely taking a stab in the dark here but---

Maybe ask somewhere that does hydro dipping? Perhaps there is some sort of Metallic finish available???

Rides
    If you want a decent chrome effect there is only one option.

We've used House Of Kolor chrome effect and the process is seriously flawed, you have to apply a black basecoat, clear coat, polish it to a shine, then apply the chrome effect, the more shine you get the better the chrome effect, (we found it best to get a good finish with the clear and chrome straight over without polishing). Obvioulsy this means that there is very little adhesion to the clear coat so it's of limited life span, (which it actually says in the tech spec). As HOK is a FAR superior product to Mipa, (we don't go as low grade as Mipa at work), I would imagine thats even worse.

Chrome powdercoat is quite nice, but it's more of a dull polished alloy look and I've been seriously underwhelmed by all of the hydro-dipping I've seen.

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    If you want a decent chrome effect there is only one option.

We've used House Of Kolor chrome effect and the process is seriously flawed, you have to apply a black basecoat, clear coat, polish it to a shine, then apply the chrome effect, the more shine you get the better the chrome effect, (we found it best to get a good finish with the clear and chrome straight over without polishing). Obvioulsy this means that there is very little adhesion to the clear coat so it's of limited life span, (which it actually says in the tech spec). As HOK is a FAR superior product to Mipa, (we don't go as low grade as Mipa at work), I would imagine thats even worse.

Chrome powdercoat is quite nice, but it's more of a dull polished alloy look and I've been seriously underwhelmed by all of the hydro-dipping I've seen.

Alex B
    As a professional painter this is seriously the worst type of job. Any inclusions in the chrome effect cannot be polished due to the risk of lifting the chrome off the clear coat. Would absolutely avoid chrome paint at all costs