Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this boils my piss!

Rides

this boils my piss!

Right ive been looking at cars recently scouring ebay gumtree etc to find what i want. But what i keep seeing is "low mileage" cars being priced ridiclously!

Now im all for its your car name your price etc, but for example ive seen.

An e36 m3 (normal 100k ish ones going for 4-5k) yet because it has "low, 60k odd miles" its now worth 12k.

A couple sbodies being priced 2-3k above market value, all have issues such as rust or autos

And the same with various other cars, infact there was a manual soarer being sold for 15k just because it had 50k on the clocks.

does no one else think its crazy that just because its travelled less miles its in better condition? Or worth more? I mean id rather had a car thats done 150k motorway miles than 50 thousand trips to pick the kids up from school. Is it me?

Rides
    errr ... if you are not bothered by high mileage, why are you getting annoyed at higher price low milage examples .... just dont go and look at them, stick to the £4k examples with 100k+ miles on them

Rides
    Not so much that im interested in them, i just dont see how a doggy "low mileage" example is worth far more than a clean car with higher miles

Rides
    Because the majority of people think a 'low mileage' car is better. So why not play to that when advertising your car

Rides
    It doesnt matter on mileage as a high mile car can bee looked after when a low mileage couldve been driven by a w*#@er and neumourous engines or body repairs....

People think that its their car and they can price it what they want.... i know my bars sx shell in the garage is worth 20k day in day out.... if anyone is interested call 0800 yeah right.... lol

Ste
    Bringing up a new generation of drifter....
    The futures bright.The future's RED...
    HERE COMES THE PAIN !!

M82 OUK..R.I.P
    T220 FJO..R.I.P
    NEXT ???? ???

Rides
    Some people will pay way over the odds for a low miles car, its a thing they want in a car ,
    they will either sell at the price or they will not sell and be reduced till they do sell
    trying their luck springs to mind sometimes
    after years of buying and selling low miles don't mean its a better car imo,I've seen plenty of low milers
    and the car was a shed that had been run onto the ground

Rides
    I always buy the best example of a car I can find and very often it will be a low mileage car. I'm happy to pay a premium for it and I expect to get more for it when I come to sell.

Mileage isn't the be-all-and-end-all BUT a genuine low mileage with a service history is a very good step in the right direction IMO.

Things wear out with use as well as abuse. Use = mileage.

Cars are built with an expected life of around 100K and all components, not just the engine, are designed to last at least that long.

My 55K miler is 21 years old and its starting to need a little bit (and I mean a little bit) of remedial work. You would expect that of a 10 year old car with average miles i.e. 50-60K not a 20 year old car with average miles i.e. 100-120K.

It doesn't need an engine refresh, new engine mounts, new suspension, the driver's seat replacing etc. etc.

Given cars like mine are pretty rare now and hard to come by, just explain to me again why it is they aren't worth double what an average 120K miler is worth ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftin Ste View Post
    It doesnt matter on mileage as a high mile car can bee looked after when a low mileage couldve been driven by a w*#@er and neumourous engines or body repairs....

People think that its their car and they can price it what they want.... i know my bars sx shell in the garage is worth 20k day in day out.... if anyone is interested call 0800 yeah right.... lol

Ste
    I just tried that number and it doesnt work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by def View Post
    I just tried that number and it doesnt work
    You need to leave the space out.

Rides
    Try shopping for car's in the USA where even if it has 100k that's considered low mileage. The body trashed (look like it's crashed etc) and mechanical parts can be falling off and the prices still be stupidly high. It's not actually worth getting an older car over here as people seem to think that low milage is the be and end all of sales prices because that's what the 'Kelley Blue Book' says (Which does little more than keep prices inflated artifically). A lot of cars over here don't even come inspected (MOT). Dealer prices are insane even for high milers.

Rides
    I understand your point johnny. But mileage does not =wear. Put simply you could have done 120k in an s13 on the motorway and it would probably be fine (even things like clutches etc as its not like sitting in traffic using it constantly)

Where as a car thats done 55k of shot trips, perhaps say lived in london, would imo need more work, as it would have spent most of its life just stop starting.

Also mileage doesnt mean use, as in someone could do a 5 mile commute and sit in traffic for hours, whilst another person does a 50mile commute and only take 40mins.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Also mileage doesnt mean use, as in someone could do a 5 mile commute and sit in traffic for hours, whilst another person does a 50mile commute and only take 40mins.
    But if they are sat in traffic then the car isnt being used an idling engine isnt exactly knocking itself out

Facts are people love low miles and full dealer history, no it doesnt mean its a better car but if those people are happy paying more for that warm fuzzy feeling inside then why get worked up about it. Just means there are plenty of cheap mid-high milers out there for those who are not as bothered.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    15k for a soarer?? lol 12k for an ancient old e36, dont care if its got gold plated spark plugs...

Scene...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    It's not actually worth getting an older car over here as people seem to think that low mileage is the be and end all of sales prices because that's what the 'Kelley Blue Book' says (Which does little more than keep prices inflated artificially). A lot of cars over here don't even come inspected (MOT). Dealer prices are insane even for high milers.
    Isn't it then ridiculously easy to clock a car then, if there's no paperwork to back it up???

Rides
    Exactly sideways.

Most soarers go for between 1-2k depending on engine or spec. Theres 2 manuals that are 8kish for sale and one auto for 15 odd just because their low miles and have dump valves....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Exactly sideways.

Most soarers go for between 1-2k depending on engine or spec. Theres 2 manuals that are 8kish for sale and one auto for 15 odd just because their low miles and have dump valves....
    But either they are worth that to someone or they won't sell. Why get het up about it ?

A car with half the miles on it has been over half as many bumps. A 20-year-old car with 100K miles on it is NOT a motorway car its a completely used one. A 5 yr old car with 100K on it is a motorway car.

Low mileage cars with full service histories also tend to have been garaged and washed/polished every week.

I guess it depends on how you go about looking for cars.

I pick a car I like the look of, see how new a car I can afford then try to find the best example of it that I can find.

If you are just looking for "bargain" cars, you'll get pissed off when you find that all the nice ones are out of your price range.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    My Dai was low miles. Was still rusty. Still just failed its MOT costing a chunk to get it back to legal.

Access SXOC on the go and get instant notifications for free! http://tapatalk.com

Rides
    my Hilux Surf only has 70K miles and is 20yrs old and was a grand where as most want 2K for ropey 150K examples... my Disco 2 had 95K and was only 6yrs old and was a rotten cash pit.

it's luck of the draw and if the person selling is trying his luck at first

Rides
    Im not just looming for bargains johnny. Missed out on a couple cars that were exactly what i wanted. Literially just seems like the secondhand car market is full of dreamers.

Rides
    Why did you miss out on them ? Someone else buy it or you not prepared to pay the asking price ?

sent from t'internet