Thread: R33 gtst

Rides

R33 gtst

I recently swapped my 200sx S14a for an R33 GTST so here it is...

Pics...

Spec... (copied from previous owners advert and edited a bit by me, missing bits like what ECU/map/chip it has and also he said something about a Nismo diff but I can't remember!)

Exterior
    - Jun bodykit
    - GTR spoiler
    - 17" Kosei Evo Maxi wheels
    - Matt black bonnet
    - Rust proofed underside
    - HIDs
    - Tinted rear windows

Interior
    - Sparco gearknob
    - Momo steering wheel
    - Pioneer headunit with Bluetooth etc
    - Vibe components in the front
    - JL audio 4ch amp with JL audio w3 sub in boot
    - Fully dynomatted
    - 60mm boost guage

Running gear
    - S14 rear subframe (hicas completely removed)
    - Daiyama 3 way adjustable coilovers
    - Adjustable arms all round
    - Polybushed rear subframe and steering rack
    - Whiteline swaybars front & rear
    - Front & rear strutbraces
    - ABS removed
    - Aircon removed

Brakes
    - Front 4 pot GTR brembos with drilled/grooved discs (big ones but not sure on size)
    - Braided lines
    - Red stuff pads all round
    - Dot 5.1 fluid
    - Rears I'm not sure about (to me they look like Z32 but I've never seen standard rear brakes on an R33 before so don't know what they are/look like and I haven't bothered searching)

Engine etc
    - Garrett GT30 turbo internals fitted into standard housing
    - Braided turbo lines
    - Spit Fire coil packs (should that be Splitfire?)
    - Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust
    - Downpipe and decat
    - Blitz super sonic induction kit
    - 255lph Walbro fuel pump
    - Front facing plenum (looks like someone modified and cleaned up a standard one?)
    - Bailey BOV
    - Custome made baffled sump

Issues found so far...
    - It cuts out sometimes when either stopping at junctions/traffic lights or when 'coasting round' a corner (which thankfully doesn't ever seem to faze me but I reckon could be very bad for some, losing power steering etc whilst turning a corner).
    - I didn't like the deep dish steering wheel it had originally so had the pictured one fitted, it sits almost right on the control stalks so needs spacing or a bigger boss fitted.
    - I don't like the front bumper but can't figure out what bumper I should have fitted.
    - I don't like the hole in the bonnet so am getting a bonnet without a hole in it (even the birds don't like it, they tried to shit in it but just missed!) and then having it sprayed blue like the rest of the car
    - Original bonnet catch/mounting bar and cable have been removed so either need to fit catches to new bonnet or get a catch/bar etc.
    - Aircon has been removed and just in the last few days am realising how much I rely on aircon to remove some of the pollen from the air!
    - Dash insert bit is horrible in blue! Needs changing back to standard
    - Leaking oil from rocker cover (prev owner changed this, maybe didn't change the semi circle/crescent bits as well?), front & rear crank seals and seeping through the sump (I presume where the welding was done to make it into a baffled sump)
    - Car is so low I can't get in/out of my driveway without at best scraping the front bumper, at work it hits the beginning of the driveway quite badly (or the road surface)
    - Coilovers on the front won't adjust hardness, little knob thing just keeps turning forever

Work done so far... (admittedly mostly by a mate as I couldn't spare the time)
    - Fitted lockable aerocatches to the bonnet (it had cheapo non-lockable ring pull type catches before and with no standard bonnet catch meant it could be opened by anyone who fancied it)
    - Changed oil/filters
    - Cleaned idle control valve (to try and stop the cutting out)
    - Fitted an ISO connector to end of stereo wiring (it was a butchered mess before) and fitted stereo
    - Fitted japspeed decat silencer to exhaust
    - Changed steering wheel
    - Removed bonnet spacers as in my opinion a bonnet raised at the back just looks silly and ruins the look of the car
    - Removed loads of stickers (still some to go as you can see in pics!)
    bovvered?

Rides
    Nice start to a project

To answer some of your questions above

Its a standard plenum modifyed for front entry
    The rear brakes are standard gtst
    The stalling could be down to your BOV try removing bunging the hole and see whether it still does the same.

As for bonnet/bumper it depends on what your into fiberglass/ OEM check cars that are being broken to maybe grab a bargain.

Rides
    Nice ,so is the plan to keep it then dude? or will time tell

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy88 View Post
    Nice start to a project

To answer some of your questions above

Its a standard plenum modifyed for front entry
    The rear brakes are standard gtst
    The stalling could be down to your BOV try removing bunging the hole and see whether it still does the same.

As for bonnet/bumper it depends on what your into fiberglass/ OEM check cars that are being broken to maybe grab a bargain.
    Thanks.
    Yeah have heard about the BOV, the previous owner did say a load about it but I really can't remember what he said now other than it all came down to it shouldn't be making it stall. I guess its still worth a try anyway though

I now have a spare standard bonnet and front wings, won them for 99p each on ebay and collected at the weekend So I think I will just buy and fit a standard bonnet catch/cable (found bracket for it in the bag of spare parts the previous owner gave me) and put the spare bonnet on then get it sprayed to match the car.
    I put a wanted post for a front bumper on the skyline owners forum and have been offered a 2nd hand (but new and unused) 400r type front bumper made by Knight Racer, looks like it'd go nicely on the car so I might get that.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Cheers Andy.
    Hopefully, although as always only time will tell.
    I did manage to keep the last 14a for quite a while so must be getting better at not changing so often
    bovvered?

Rides
    Cool project.I've got a 33 too.Was going to sell it to recoup some funds but I may just keep it for a bit.
    Agree about bonnet & bumper,looks a bit lame.
    Go for an m spec bumper with the centre cut out, looks more suited to the shape of the car.
    Front face plenum looks like a nice job.

Rides
    Some new pics of it, still haven't really had time to do much apart from sort out the stereo properly and change the steering wheel.
    Also fitted a bonnet catch/cable and put a spare silver bonnet on it and its going off to have new bodykit (Nismo N400R copy from Knight-Racer) and be painted
    http://www.knightracer.com/shop/inde...roduct_id=2239

bovvered?

Rides
    It's been away having some bodywork done by Ross86 & his friend to make it look better.
    Work included bonnet which I got free off a very kind member on Skyline Owners Club, this needed painting the right colour as well as some dents filled etc.
    Front bumper has been changed for a Knightracer 400r style (which at some points looked like it wasn't going to fit so their perfect fitment claim is rubbish, but some fettling did get it fitted well in the end) and the drivers side sideskirt was replaced for a new one due to some big splits in it. I also had the rear spoiler painted to match the bodywork and Ross did some repairs on drivers side rear arch. And to finish it off nicely, a GTR style front grille.
    They also had a go at polishing up the headlights, but unfortunately didn't have much success.

Bonnet being prepped and the dents filled...

Front bumper offered up to the car...

Sideskirt offered up to the car...

Front bumper and sideskirt test fitted after a bit of fettling...

Primered...

Painting has begun, petrol flap was used to get matching paint from the paintshop, looks good!!!...

Car finished and outside in the sunlight when I collected it...

Ross's attempt at convincing me I should buy his wheels ...
    bovvered?

Rides
    Looks much better than when you bought it! You should buy his wheels too

Rides
    Yep totally agree with him ^^^
    that bumper fitment was out a fair bit, like you were trying it on a micra
    or something a lot smaller than a Skyrine ,fair play for getting it to look so good tbh

only thing I would say is either fit some mesh to the bumper cut out for the FMIC
    or move the cooler forward to fill the gap?, just me maybe but looks a bit odd sort of when looking at it at angle
    like in 2nd to last picture, still looks loads better than when 1st got it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Looks much better than when you bought it! You should buy his wheels too
    Aye. Unfortunately new wheels aren't an option as at the moment I'm gonna be out of work from the 24th Have been searching for another job but not found one yet.
    I did manage to get hold of a nice spare set of wheels with slicks on a few months ago though so they'll be good on track. Will post some pics of em later

Yep totally agree with him ^^^
    that bumper fitment was out a fair bit, like you were trying it on a micra
    or something a lot smaller than a Skyrine ,fair play for getting it to look so good tbh

only thing I would say is either fit some mesh to the bumper cut out for the FMIC
    or move the cooler forward to fill the gap?, just me maybe but looks a bit odd sort of when looking at it at angle
    like in 2nd to last picture, still looks loads better than when 1st got it
    Have got some mesh sitting in the hallway waiting to be fitted, I just didn't get around to buying it before I took the car to Ross for the painting.

Currently car is with Dal (am collecting it Saturday) as he has fitted a new engine for me (old one was smoking on idle a lot as valve stem seals had gone) and generally tidied up the engine bay, given it a fresh coat of POR15 in the engine bay and gone over most of the rest of the car making sure everythings mechanically perfect

Have got stuff sitting here to have it remapped to hopefully around 400bhp when I can spare the money too! (nistune board, z32 afm, z32 ecu and 550cc injectors)
    bovvered?

Rides
    Well it was supposed to stay a long time.
    But working away from home mon-fri, buying a house and wanting to spend time with the gf and baby have all added up to this...
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?579144-R33-gtst

As you can see I got everything done that I wanted to though
    bovvered?