Thread: Cheap insurance and immobiliser question

Rides

Cheap insurance and immobiliser question

Got a really cheap quote of £219.70 form Performance Direct (via Norton online). Is there likely a catch ?? Lots of things might get me a good quote - eg. garaged 2nd car with restricted mileage and tracker but didn't expect it this cheap. Should I bite their hand off ?

Is a Kill switch classed as an immobiliser by insurers ?

Rides
    no because a kill switch also disables the alarm

Rides
    I don't have an alarm and my kill switch only stops the fuel pump anyway.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blues13 View Post
    I don't have an alarm and my kill switch only stops the fuel pump anyway.
    so it's not really a kill switch but a fuel pump switch?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blues13 View Post
    Got a really cheap quote of £219.70 form Performance Direct (via Norton online). Is there likely a catch ?? Lots of things might get me a good quote - eg. garaged 2nd car with restricted mileage and tracker but didn't expect it this cheap. Should I bite their hand off ?

Is a Kill switch classed as an immobiliser by insurers ?
    Would help if we had more details like your age, occupation, the car spec etc to determine how cheap it is but if its a 200 and your live in Liverpool then it sounds very cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    The catch probably is £1800 excess

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    so it's not really a kill switch but a fuel pump switch?
    No it's a Kill switch which kills the fuel pump. The car won't start if it's pressed and will stop if it is. That's a kill switch.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Would help if we had more details like your age, occupation, the car spec etc to determine how cheap it is but if its a 200 and your live in Liverpool then it sounds very cheap.
    44 yrs old, self employed, engine just Mongoose zorst and air filter. Excess is 'only' £500. I live on the Wirral which is mostly cheaper than Liverpool I guess but a higher risk area than many other parts of the country I think.

The car I have valued at £10,000 as it's had a lot spent on it (see Project section).

No points, my age, garaged 2nd car and Tracker are probably key factors in keeping the quote down.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's a 1993 S13, I am 44 yrs old, self employed, engine just Mongoose zorst and air filter. Excess is 'only' £500. I live on the Wirral which is mostly cheaper than Liverpool I guess but a higher risk area than many other parts of the country I think.

The car I have valued at £10,000 as it's had a lot spent on it (see Project section).

No points, my age, garaged 2nd car and Tracker are probably key factors in keeping the quote down.

Rides
    Car valued at 10k ?!?

I would e looking at changing that value to a more realistic value. If anything does happen and you need to claim the assessors will take a look at it and give you standard S13 money for it should the worst happen.

Yea you've spent a lot of money on it but cars ain't worth what we spend on them. I think putting a more realistic value will give the insurance company less wiggle room

Rides
    I take your point about resale value in general and for insurance purposes but if someone offered me £20k for my car now I wouldn't take it. I would struggle to replace it for much less than that. I will lower it's value for insurance even thought it doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems odd that a highly desirable item(though a niche one perhaps) is not worth even close to what it cost to obtain. Isn't price dependent on a combination of desirability and cost of production ?. Put my car against any new sporty/performance car (& most older ones since new ones costing only £10k don't exist) costing £10k and I think most people would choose mine. So how is it worth less ?

The trouble with car value/desirability is that it is dependent on may factors - fashion and perceived value being major ones. the reality of a perceived value may not be reflected in the actual cost of replacement. Top marques retain value far more than others (like Nissans) largely due to rarity and the badge (Ferrari, Lambo etc.). My attraction to Nissan cars was partly due to the fact that you got great value for money even when these cars were new. You didn't pay for a badge but also got a well made quality car. I like the fact my car isn't a ubiquitous Audi, a BMW or even a Porsche but looks better to me than most of them despite costing far less, and yet has a reputation as a great slider. I don't like the style of most modern cars and I feel my S13 is a great example of beautiful retro styling which looks cool as anything today. It's a kind of statement of individuality, good taste, hard work and vision to create something rare and beautiful which flies in the face of car snobbery and herd mentality.