Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Itch for a 4x4 but dont know which one.

Rides

Itch for a 4x4 but dont know which one.

Hello SXOC'ers.

I have a major itch for a 4x4 have done since i was like 4ft tall.

Always had one in the family from RAV 4, Fourtrak, Trooper, Discovery, Cherokee etc.

Now as it comes to me wanting one i don't know which one because none of the above bar the discovery take my fancy.

Things i would like for my 4x4 is long wheel base, reliable, a nice interior and able tow a trailer with the 200 on it easily and all for around the £5k mark at most, i mean id happily sell my passat and buy one at £500 if it was going to be reliable and do its job.

Ones i have been looking at are Discovery, Ranger, L200, Shogun, Navara.

If anyone has any past exp with any of these or knows common faults etc and input would be highly appreciated.

cheers

Darren.

Rides
    Can't beat an old Toyota land cruiser

Rides
    Also navara's have problems, shame as they look pretty cool

Rides
    the three worst cars I have ever owned have been Discoverys, I would never ever buy another green oval, proper money pits and not all that great at what they do, certainly not any better than most other 4x4's

I now have a Toyota Hilux Surf and its leagues ahead in build quality etc. the only way I'm going from here is to a land cruiser.

for example my TD5 disco cost the best part of £900 in repairs in just 3 months, the Toyota has cost £43 in 2 yrs.

Rides
    So that navaras out the window, do you reckon the disco is bad? My mum had one and uncle had two and the only problem between the three was the uncles newer ones airbag strut went.

The reliability of Toyota does astound me my mums rav 4 she had went well into 200k+.

But i want rid of my passat it hates me i have replaced in the past year clutch and flywheel, sump and engine mount, front shocks, AFM, had timing belt done and most of the arms changed and its at the point where ik fed up of spending money on it has cost me well in excess of £2k in repairs in a year, never want a VW again.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    the three worst cars I have ever owned have been Discoverys, I would never ever buy another green oval, proper money pits and not all that great at what they do, certainly not any better than most other 4x4's
    I bought a £5k Defender, it was pretty crap. Great fun to bolt stuff to (lights and stuff), but shit to drive. Even off-road it wasn't brilliant, the handbrake drum used to fill up with mud and then seize when it dried, was a stupid design. Even though it was the most basic of cars, nothing worked reliably. Gauges, lights, heater fan, door catches all lacked a decent work ethic.

In Landrover's defence, bought a £5k Freelander to get me through one winter, kept it for 3 years - utterly reliable, cheap to maintain, comfy, better to drive than you'd expect. Would've been pretty crap off road (but better than you might expect), but was unstoppable in the snow. Good car.

Disco is an obvious choice for a £5k 4x4, but I think it'd be pretty awful unless you were prepared for constant maintenance. I think I'd go Surf, Shogun, Trooper.

Rides
    we have a lot of new defenders at work, probably buy 10 a year and they are shocking - for such a basic car they should never go wrong.

any disco out of warranty is a world of pain, for 5K you would be looking at the worst of them all - the TD5, a plethora of electronic crap fitted to it that LR just can't get right, but they did have the brilliant idea of making everything on it throw a warning light which will mean a trip to someone (or spending £300ish) for a plug into their computer

Rides
    I loved my TD5 Discovery, but it did feel like I was sitting on a time bomb that was going to cost me loads in repairs at any second. In the 10 months I owned it the ACE failed which would've cost £500+ in parts but I removed it for £50.

Rides
    also every pay n play day I have been on has been all -

LR owners: "Defenders are the best thing ever" "Jap scrap cant keep up" "never buy anything but a LR" "great British car" "you get used to them" "fixings part of the character" etc etc but the common theme is they have never driven anything else.

whenever you talk to someone in a shogun or Patrol or Toyota its: "had a disco/defender, would never have one again"

Rides
    If it's a second car how about something like this?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclean View Post
    Can't beat an old Toyota land cruiser
    Ever had a Range Rover? Only way forward IMO, yeah they are unreliable, yeah they are pricey but they are awesome, I cant see myself ever not owning one now. Go Diesel or LPG and they arent too heavy on fuel either
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    When I lived abroad we had a Suzuki sj410 & it regularly pulled bigger stuff out the mud & we also had a lada Niva cossack that was bullet proof.
    Most people will scoff at both my suggestions but truly these were the best vehicles for off road conditions.
    Last edited by ianlea73; 24-05-2014 at 10:23.

Rides
    5 grand budget I'd go with a hyundai terracan you can probe get a 55 up and its really just a old style shogun they are plenty powerful to tow and not bad off road tho no diff lock. Parts are pretty cheap and you get a few toys like climate control ect just a little bit old fashioned.

Rides
    Have a look on Nissan Patrol Y60 or Y61 converted to TD42. In UK You are lucky enough to be able to get a 4.2 diesel TD42 engine (and despite the code its NA engine - one of the best derv motors ever made). Virtually undesctructable, good access to spares and with some light mods it can be made into a serious offroader. Tows anything with an ease. You don`t mention comfort features You require but Y60`Trolls come with aircon and better version (safari, grandroad) come with other nice stuff as well. Y61 is a newer car so it comes with most of modern gadgets.
    Last edited by sgt_raffie; 24-05-2014 at 11:17.

Rides

Rides
    Nissan terrano - seriously capable off road and the 2.7 td engine pulls well and goes forever

Rides
    Thanks for all the input guys really appreciate it.

Seems to me that everyone has had different experience with the cars i have heard that dicos are money pits now from above but then the ones in my family were all bulletproof my dad reckons they run forever but he can be deluded.

I dont fancy that wee car voodoo as it will be my to and from work car and the 200sx will be the second car lol.

The suzuki and hyundai options i havemt even looked at yet but dont know if i would consider them tbh.

Nissan patrol i like but with that 4.2 i havent even heard of them to be honest.

I dont think any of the above cars will be as much of a money pit as my pissrat has been over the last year.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    My parents disco td5 is a nightmare. Avoid a td5 at all costs IMHO.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Ok i seem to be getting put off the discovery with all the negativity.

So gonna have another look and widen the range and add in a few options id like up top.

Rides
    Wont let me edit the top post so i would like

Good strong reliable engine to pull a trailer + 200
    A dark interior i hate light grey interior with a passion
    Cruise control would be nice
    5 doors or 4 doors if its a pick up.
    Preferabky not an import for insurance purposes.
    Doesnt need to be great off road but that option to go where no man has been would be great.