Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis's RB25 S14a - The never ending project..

Rides
    It's painful.

She'll get there. After a lot of my tears over my wallet. But, hey! Everyone knows that owning a 200sx is that way... rightt?!
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 27-07-2015 at 15:18.

Rides
    thats terrible mate sorry to see that, not sure how areas that large weren't picked up at its last mot though?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    thats terrible mate sorry to see that, not sure how areas that large weren't picked up at its last mot though?
    Bought the car after. It's been off the road for 7 months as I knew I needed a bit of welding. Not realising the severity. But, it's at the point I want the car back!

Rides
    Rust sucks but think when its done, it will be good for a good amount of time and its SAFER.

Amount of people driving around with this level of rot is crazy! check up in the rear arches, around the turret top looking outward from the inside.
    Mine was similar with the locations of rot youve got and i had my rear inner arches shot as well.

See post 77:http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post6447718

Be brave and get it sorted. Would be easier to reshell but least youl know the problem areas youve got will be sorted.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackm View Post
    Rust sucks but think when its done, it will be good for a good amount of time and its SAFER.

Amount of people driving around with this level of rot is crazy! check up in the rear arches, around the turret top looking outward from the inside.
    Mine was similar with the locations of rot youve got and i had my rear inner arches shot as well.

See post 77:http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post6447718

Be brave and get it sorted. Would be easier to reshell but least youl know the problem areas youve got will be sorted.
    I'll get those areas checked. From under the arch, looking up it doesnt look bad. And when i had it sprayed both wings were off and i couldnt see rust in those areas. But, for sure ill get that double/triple checked.

I did mull over reshelling last night. But, i want a white 14a. So, its just not an option. I'll bite the bullet and get all areas sorted and atleast i know going forward those areas are addressed!

Going to go see the progress next week. Due to the cost, iv opted to do 1 side of the car at a time. *sigh*

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    It's painful.

She'll get there. After a lot of my tears over my wallet. But, hey! Everyone knows owning a 200sx that right! ... right?!
    Wow I thought the rust on my 37 year old 260 was bad

Good luck

Rides
    Wow thats worse than I was expecting. You will get it sorted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=575224

Sure it's not cheaper to reshell?
    Into what? A shell that will may be not be as bad, on the face of it, but will more than likely need a load of welding done to it. IMO its better the devil you know. There are not many (if any) UK 200's that dont need serious welding work or have have had serious welding work done. I looked at quite a few shells when I decided to do my project and all had bad rust issues in the same areas.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Wow thats worse than I was expecting. You will get it sorted though.

Into what? A shell that will may be not be as bad, on the face of it, but will more than likely need a load of welding done to it. IMO its better the devil you know. There are not many (if any) UK 200's that dont need serious welding work or have have had serious welding work done. I looked at quite a few shells when I decided to do my project and all had bad rust issues in the same areas.
    Have you seen the shell in the link I posted?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Have you seen the shell in the link I posted?
    Ahh sorry no, Ill blame tapatalk for that. Its not cheap though and when you factor in refurbing everything off your old car, it would be a crime not to with a shell that clean, and swapping everything over it becomes one hell of a project and an expensive one too.

If your prepared to through money at it then Id go with that shell and have one of mintest 200's still to live but if not I think its better to fix what you have. It should still be cheaper than that shell.

Rides
    Sucks about the rust, however on a more positive note, it makes me feel a lot happier about the condition of my underside!

Rides
    That needs stripping and putting on a roll over jig would make the job so much easier. The hardest part is the replacing the inner sill and the floor behind the front wheel arch. I'm glad to see your having it repaired not just breaking.

When i seen how bad mine was i brought a import shell off dw it looked super clean i drilled a hole in the sill for a bore scope and it had gone they rot from the inside out while it was better than my UK shell it still needed alot of new steel so i did both

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    That needs stripping and putting on a roll over jig would make the job so much easier. The hardest part is the replacing the inner sill and the floor behind the front wheel arch. I'm glad to see your having it repaired not just breaking.

When i seen how bad mine was i brought a import shell off dw it looked super clean i drilled a hole in the sill for a bore scope and it had gone they rot from the inside out while it was better than my UK shell it still needed alot of new steel so i did both
    The plan of action is basically, rear diff out, prop shaft out, exhaust off, brake/fuel lines and fuel tank. Then any little bits that get in the way. They haven't got a roll over jig, and because the car is still in a driving position, i don't think that would be a possibility with an engine/interior still inside? - Weight issues??

But, it would be best that way.

I did plan on buying the shell that's for sale for £2,000 in Croydon. Being an hour it would've been ideal, but i sprayed this, i know the bodywork is mint. Its just a disaster underneath. Im so deep into this money-wise i want to continue. Although, my brain is telling me different story. Moving out has gone on hold, otherwise if i do move, the car will NEVER be fixed. So, priority first and all. The car is important to me as i want a "toy" for the years to come.

The main reason i didn't break as well is its not that spec'd at the moment. So i wouldn't of made a great deal off the car.

I'm due to see it either Saturday morning or Monday evening. Hopefully will have some progress pictures!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    Sucks about the rust, however on a more positive note, it makes me feel a lot happier about the condition of my underside!
    I know mate.

Atleast someone can take a positive from my misfortune!

The reason its this bad, when i bought it was sat on a front garden with long overgrown grass all around it. Looked like it had been in that position for over a year! When i did check it, me being naive i didnt look enough. First SX, wasn't sure what to check fully. - God i should've read about them more!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    The plan of action is basically, rear diff out, prop shaft out, exhaust off, brake/fuel lines and fuel tank. Then any little bits that get in the way. They haven't got a roll over jig, and because the car is still in a driving position, i don't think that would be a possibility with an engine/interior still inside? - Weight issues??

But, it would be best that way.

I did plan on buying the shell that's for sale for £2,000 in Croydon. Being an hour it would've been ideal, but i sprayed this, i know the bodywork is mint. Its just a disaster underneath. Im so deep into this money-wise i want to continue. Although, my brain is telling me different story. Moving out has gone on hold, otherwise if i do move, the car will NEVER be fixed. So, priority first and all. The car is important to me as i want a "toy" for the years to come.

The main reason i didn't break as well is its not that spec'd at the moment. So i wouldn't of made a great deal off the car.

I'm due to see it either Saturday morning or Monday evening. Hopefully will have some progress pictures!
    Tbh i think your doing it the right way at least you know it's solid i wouldnt buy one unless someone had proof the repairs had been done.

As for the jig the one i have will lift a full car I've had my misses s15 on its side(never had it upside down mind) you just have to drain te fluids. But it only needed a little patch but she wire brushed the bottom back to bare metal and tech primed and expoxy painted, seam sealer followed by 3m underbody and cavity wax as it already had surface rust.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Tbh i think your doing it the right way at least you know it's solid i wouldnt buy one unless someone had proof the repairs had been done.

As for the jig the one i have will lift a full car I've had my misses s15 on its side(never had it upside down mind) you just have to drain te fluids. But it only needed a little patch but she wire brushed the bottom back to bare metal and tech primed and expoxy painted, seam sealer followed by 3m underbody and cavity wax as it already had surface rust.
    Yeah, especially since nothing is being 'patched' as a temporary fix to sell.

Well, I popped up the garage this morning to have a look. The extent of the work is a lot. It's had 4 days solid work on the drivers side and it still needs a day. My rear arch is going to have to be cut, and remade to allow him to 'properly' weld the inner arch together. He said he can bodge it to avoid damaging my paintwork, but I said do what you gotta do. I want the car done properly so I have nothing to worry about.

He has documented everything. Which I'm really happy about. He still had to fill the sill with a filler to prevent future rust and then finish the front sill. Then stage 1 of the repairs will be complete.

** WARNING 56k IMAGE WARNING.. THERES ALOT**

Floor plan, just behind my seat.

This one he's finished my floor plan, still got the sill to do;

Bye bye old sill..

Hit the max pictures for one post!

Rides
    Finally a new sill coming together. Still need a tad more work to even out the sill with the bodywork and grind down the welds.

One more day should see the drivers side complete and the car back at my house.

He's also reinforced the under sill edge so I can jack the car. Although, I wont. It's good he's gone to that extra effort thinking about how I'd jack the car.

Really happy with the progress.

On a downside, my wings are rotten. So I want some new vented vings. The last pair I bought was awful. Anyone can link me a decent seller who sells wings that actually FIT!?

Also, where can I prchase new brake/fuel lines that run underneath from front to back? They've seen better days. Id rather replace for piece of mind!

Lemme know what you think.

Rides
    Small update.

Drivers side = DONE.

Onto the passenger side, i can expect the car to be done first/second week in April.

Here's literally 3 random pictures i took when i viewed it on Saturday. Next time im up there ill get some underneath shots to see the extent of the work. It looks fantastic and been quoted £200 to blow the drivers side back in.

He had to cut half my arch out, and re-build it as it was full of filler.

I also picked up some LED rear lights to replace my ROTTEN rear numberplate lights. I'll waxo-oil and underseal behind the rear bumper and get these fitted.

I'm also looking at going RB25 again. Considering the amount of dollar im into the 14a. I viewed 2 engines at the weekend. We'll have to see. Im tempted to do it slowly over the winter. over a 5-6 month period. Im still weighing up the options now...

Rides
    Nothing much to add here in all honestly. Cars gone back onto the backburner for now due to me replacing my daily. I couldn't help myself. Was looking for something cheap and cheerful, easy to fix and CHEAP to fix. But, my Mrs's cousin wanted to offload is Audi S3 Quattro. Being the petrol head i am, i bought it off him the next day.

An Audi S3 - Imola yellow (I believe that's the code)

Mileage - 159k (Allegedly on a lower mile APY engine, however nothing in the logbook/history to prove this)

I paid £1000 for her, which in my eyes was a good steal. Needs TLC on a few bits here and there. But, overall the car drives lovely.

Required work:
    • Replace coolant temperature sensor - DONE
    • Replace original broken Audi stereo
    • Replace oil dipstick tube - DONE
    • Overdue on servicing - Need to service engine. - DONE
    • Back wheels drag on slow speed turns, unplug fuse 31 and no dragging. So I'll service the haldex, and see if that benefits, if not. I'll replace with a used item.
    • LCD display is goosed in clocks. (Needs repairing by a company)
    • 2x new wings (rust urghh!)
    • Drivers door has surface rust around the blades (Replace or repair undecided yet)

There all the main issues i have come accross from driving it all week. The only other thing to complain about is economy. Its god awful. But i didn't expect much! The previous daily was a 2.0 180bhp Peugeot 206cc (I somehow inherited it, and it stuck for 6 months...)

Current modifications;
    • - N249 (I believe that's the name, has been deleted)
    • - Full Samco hose kit
    • - Awfully fitted boost gauge in one of the central vents
    • - Stage 1 Map (I THINK) - Car boosts around 16-18 PSI and pulls like a train in any gear.
    • - Forge 007 dump-valve
    • - Team Dynamics alloys
    • - Optional extra slightly lower suspension. (No idea what it is)

The Audi is my daily workhorse which everyone i know frowns upon as its the type of car, people would love to own to modify. My weekend, and "toy" is my beloved Nissan.

So, the plan for the S3 is to tidy up the wings/door. Have a lick of paint on either quarter to eliminate the bubbling surface rust, service her. and enjoy the comfort and heated seats on a day-to-day basis.

-----

Im hoping to have some updates on the Nissan by the end of month. Hopeing to have it back completely rust free! Needing only eitherside to have a quick blow in. To cover up the new metal.

First on the list is to service the Nissan! From what i remember, it needs one!

Rides
    Nothing much to comment on the Nissan. Checked up on Saturday and he's been so busy he hasn't started the welding on the passenger side as of yet. Given him a date of around May 14/15th as to when i would like it back. So it'll all fall into place fairly quickly. I had started to forget what it looked like!

A few pictures purely for whoring purposes as i couldn't resist getting a few of the toys together.

My favourite picture..

Rides
    welcome to the members section