Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis's RB25 S14a - The never ending project..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quail View Post
    Disclaimer: personal opinion ahead

The white vertex car you posted is on rolled metal arches and looks fine. The wheels fit nicely, even with the wide skirts. You'd get the same effect by spacing your existing wheels, or acquiring some wider wheels. By fitting fibreglass wings with wheels that don't fully fill them, the car won't look any wider. The opposite in fact; the increased space between your tyre and the arch will make it look higher/narrower by creating the illusion of a reduced track-width.

Regarding the front bumper comment, I made this image for Mark Moon's car, but it stands for any car with aftermarket bodywork paired with the stock front bumper.

The black lip creates the illusion of reverse rake/a raised front end, which just looks odd. Ideally the black touring lip would be an extension to the front, lowering the bumper below the skirt line, rather than meeting the skirt line.

As you say, painting the lip is a possible workaround, but IMO this doesn't look right (as seen below):

The Vertex bumper you posted is nice and would definitely work.

It goes without saying that all of the above is subjective; it's simply what I'd do if I was in your shoes
    What a write up! 5* sir!

I see what you mean with the red SX. But that line is comming from the bumper and not the splitter. If it came from the splitter it would almost line up... But having said that, the more i look at that Vertex bumper the more i want away with my OEM bumper... hmmm!

I dont like the painted lip on the green one, and i think it'll look worse on a white car.. Might have to request some photoshop guru's to have a little crack at changing the colour..

I actually appreciate your honesty.. right now im just stuck between a rock and a hard place... one thing i do know, i want vented wings plus my OEM wings are full of filler and rust anyway!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldoz View Post
    I see what you mean with the red SX. But that line is comming from the bumper and not the splitter.
    Haha that's exactly the point I was making. Bright bumper + bright skirts + dark lip = car that looks higher at the front because your eyes ignore the dark lip (hence the green bumper/lip line on my diagram). Below the green line at the front looks like negative space due to the contrast of the black lip, and shadow underneath the car.

I did a very rough photoshop to show how increasing the track-width and going for a fully white bumper will make the skirts look all-good

one thing i do know, i want vented wings
    That's absolutely fine, but I cannot stress enough that they'll look incredibly lame unless you fill them with wheel.

Regarding the rock and a hard place, I've been building my car for 10 years; there's no need to rush these things
    Last edited by Quail; 03-12-2015 at 13:37.

Rides
    Haha that's exactly the point I was making. Bright bumper + bright skirts + dark lip = car that looks higher at the front because your eyes ignore the dark lip (hence the green bumper/lip line on my diagram). Below the green line at the front looks like negative space due to the contrast of the black lip, and shadow underneath the car.

I did a very rough photoshop to show how increasing the track-width and going for a fully white bumper will make the skirts look all-good

That's absolutely fine, but I cannot stress enough that they'll look incredibly lame unless you fill them with wheel.

Regarding the rock and a hard place, I've been building my car for 10 years; there's no need to rush these things
    I think i've just been sold on spacers + vertex front bumper.

Could you photoshop mine with the lip white!? My editing skills go as far as cropping using paint............................

I wonder how MM i need to space both front and back wheels now.

Thanks again Quail! :P

Rides
    Could you photoshop mine with the lip white?
    Already tried; changing black to white is beyond my skillset I'm afraid.

I wonder how MM i need to space both front and back wheels now.
    What spec are your wheels currently? Look like F: 18x8.5 +25, R: 18x9.5 +30?

Rides
    Already tried; changing black to white is beyond my skillset I'm afraid.

What spec are your wheels currently? Look like F: 18x8.5 +25, R: 18x9.5 +30?
    Ah ok, not to worry.

There ET30 all around. 9.5 on the rear, 8.5 on the front.

Rides
    You could comfortably space the wheels 25mm all round with minor archwork. Bare in mind this is £300 worth of (H&R) spacer, though.

Rides
    Ive got an origin front on mine and its looks like this if it helps (recently painted so not many fancy pictures yet)

Rides
    yeeeaaa bodykit, mines almost done just finished the respray recently, looks awesome, go with the vertex front bumper i feel it will look ace on your car

Rides
    You could comfortably space the wheels 25mm all round with minor archwork. Bare in mind this is £300 worth of (H&R) spacer, though.
    Ouch. Used ones are a potential then.

I don't think I can do +25 on the rear. It's almost at the lip of the arch now.. Or with work would it be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by jordanr View Post
    Ive got an origin front on mine and its looks like this if it helps (recently painted so not many fancy pictures yet)

That looks awesome. Any other pictures??

Quote Originally Posted by fifi View Post
    yeeeaaa bodykit, mines almost done just finished the respray recently, looks awesome, go with the vertex front bumper i feel it will look ace on your car
    You haven't given up then! Is yours running now?

Thanks bud, I'm torn now between two bumpers!

Rides
    Got around to fitting the rear spats this evening.

Also pulled the tape of the side skirts and they've settled lovely. Drilled all corners and put the OEM screws back in to hold them on. They're in place well.. (I hope.. Fingers crossed!)

Really like the back end now!

And one more for luck just because I'm so happy right now!

My new fuel pump is here also. Not allowed to have that until Christmas the Mrs's put her foot down. Also got a fuel pressure regulator with AN10 fittings and braided hose coming. I basically want to eliminate the possibility of the car stalling randomly being fuel related. Plus, my mind won't be happy until I know a new pumps in!
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 03-12-2015 at 18:43.

Rides
    I don't think I can do +25 on the rear. It's almost at the lip of the arch now.. Or with work would it be ok?
    A lip roll and modest pull will find you a good 30-40mm of extra room under there. There's tonnes of room back there once you flatten the lip. Finding that much room on the fronts is more difficult without destroying the wing, but even a simple lip roll should net you 15mm IIRC.
    Last edited by Quail; 03-12-2015 at 18:48.

Rides

You haven't given up then! Is yours running now?

Thanks bud, I'm torn now between two bumpers!
    i didnt give and im glad i didnt, do the vertex it looks a million times better, yes mines running i just have small jobs to do like fitting the bumpers on properly and the temp switch for twin fans, i havent even seen my car since respray in the daylight, had my brother take pics for me, im due to go to finish it off on saturday just have wheel allignments and mot

Rides
    A lip roll and modest pull will find you a good 30-40mm of extra room under there. There's tonnes of room back there once you flatten the lip. Finding that much room on the fronts is more difficult without destroying the wing, but even a simple lip roll should net you 15mm IIRC.
    Okay, didn't realise there was that much room back there! Hmm.. ArchEnemy will get a call..

Spacers on the agenda now. My lists seems to continuously grow.. Engine bay wise and now styling!

It's all fun and games!

Quote Originally Posted by fifi View Post
    i didnt give and im glad i didnt, do the vertex it looks a million times better, yes mines running i just have small jobs to do like fitting the bumpers on properly and the temp switch for twin fans, i havent even seen my car since respray in the daylight, had my brother take pics for me, im due to go to finish it off on saturday just have wheel allignments and mot
    Good you kept with it! I hope the MOT goes well for you! You be driving it over winter?

--

Any ideas on what interior bulbs I need to buy off eBay to replace with LED? The two smaller front ones and also the larger light that comes on when you open the door? As in the bulb names...

Is there a brighter sidelight bulb I can buy for the rears? Want to brighten the lights abit if possible...
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 03-12-2015 at 20:46.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Loads of room at the back, I'm running 11j et8 with a 245 tyre and a decent flare

1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Loads of room at the back, I'm running 11j et8 with a 245 tyre and a decent flare

That's a lovely flare Chris!

Did you pay someone or DIY?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Diy
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Diy
    Not sure I have the nerve to carry that out...

Rides
    Btw, what an earth is "Millbrook" i googled it as i left and it looked like car testing/development?!
    We are a secure engineering design, test and development center for the transport industry testing and designing cars, buses, motorbikes, trucks and military vehicles across our facility. You can find us on Google Maps to see a layout of the tracks.

Rides
    I love how the rear bumper looks and the spats finish it off perfectly!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx-swifty View Post
    I love how the rear bumper looks and the spats finish it off perfectly!
    Exactly how im feeling at the mo! Changes the whole aspect of the rear end and makes it more pretty to the eye. Always hated the 14a OEM rear end!