Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 180SX Turbo Choice , Bit of advise

Rides

180SX Turbo Choice , Bit of advise - Skip to page 4 post 66

Hi Guys ,

Im ready to start buying a turbo setup now and could do with a bit of advise on what to go for , The aim for the car is to touch 400BHP (fly)

Spec will be

Z32 AFM
    740cc Injectors
    FMIC
    Filter
    3" Exhaust with Decat
    EBC
    Walbro Fuel Pump
    Nistune
    Plugs
    Koyo Rad

I keep hearing about these :

TD06
    GT3071
    GT2871

All 3 would be suitable for my budget in good used condition however the Garretts would be a little more expensive and dont want to spend unnecessary cash , im not building some comp car just something that has some serious power to play with on the weekends and take to shows ect.

Looking at past threads there's not much recent discussion on the TD06 and wondering if it is outdated now but in its day seemed to be a well regarded setup , As far as the garrets go from what iv read the 3071 would be the better choice as it could give me the same power at lower boost with minimal difference in spooling from the 2871 which would struggle to give me more than 360ish. Or if i could stretch to a GTX3071 as recommended by a good mapper id get the same spool as a 2871 but the power i want but then im getting into nearly double the cost of the TD06

Any one with experience of these turbos can you give me your thoughts

Cheers
    Last edited by agentsmith350; 06-05-2014 at 14:38.

Rides
    TD06s work well, but are not current technology.

2871s can squeeze 400hp happily with the larger exhaust housing.

3071 will piss 400hp but transient response will suffer. Unless you go twin scroll, but that's big bucks.

Question:

Why 400hp? You could make a car that is just as fast on the road with less peak horsepower but a wider torque curve.

As an alternative option, Garrett make a GTX2863r which ought to perform better transiently than a 2871 and make similar power. Or, if you can handle a bit of custom work, you might consider something along the lines of a later spec Evo turbo. You'll make mid - late 300s with it and they are twin scroll from the factory. You would need a custom manifold however. Should give great response though if you are willing to do some port work as the 4G63 ports are slightly more generous than those found on the SR20.

Plenty of ways to skin this particular cat. Most will probably recommend a 2871 as it is the de facto upgrade choice thanks to the H-Dev chips.

For the record, I haven't run any of these setups. I have just been researching my next move through compressor maps and some educated guesswork.

Rides
    Just buy a .64 A/R 52 trim GT2871R and be happy

Rides
    The TD06 is capable but it is old. A GTX series unit is going to run rings around it. That's not to say it's bad, it's just not up to date. Nash is selling a whole TD06 set up for 950 GBP at the moment, that could well warrant some attention from you.

In your case, how much can you afford to spend? There's such a vast price difference in all the systems that cost will most definitely impact you.

Rides
    Thanks for the replies so far guys

Iv had 350hp cars before and got bored of it so if im doing something with this one i wanted more than that and 400 seemed the magic number that i would be very happy with , but hey high 300's ( 370-80 ) and id still be pretty happy if its going to mean better spooling and torque for less cash.

Need something i can bolt up with a base map from the tuner and take to them so evo turbo ect is out the question , What is transient response ? .

Looking at whats out there used right now there is a used gtx3071 for just over 1K or yeah nash's td06 setup which im interested in , just dont want to waste money on it if for similar or less money i could go get a 2871R that Ben suggests that would out perform it ( would it ? ) Just after best boost for buck as im sure everyone is

I was hoping around the £800 mark using used prices
    Last edited by agentsmith350; 31-10-2013 at 12:48.

Rides
    I don't think Ben suggested a 2871r would outperform a GTX3071, I certainly don't see how it would regardless of any turbo housing option.

800 GBP budged, to me, says that you're going to be getting a used GT2871 and a manifold. If that was the case, I'd save another 150 and buy Nash's TD06.

But if you can stretch to that GTX and you can afford the manifold and lines as well, that's going to be hilarious fun.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    400bhp is about the absolute limit for standard internals, head gasket, gearbox, most clutches etc.

I wouldn't look to push much past it unless you have those basis covered as much as it pains me to say it, I wish I could run 400bhp all day long as well.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    It won't out perform it, but it'll be less likely to destroy your standard bottom end...

The GTX3071R is a 500hp turbo

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    If it was me, get a 2871r and be happy.

I've had a TD06 and a GTX2867r.

TD06 = Laggy hell and made the car a pig to drive.

GTX2867R = Great Turbo but high cost compared to a GT2871r which gives very comparable results.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I don't think Ben suggested a 2871r would outperform a GTX3071, I certainly don't see how it would regardless of any turbo housing option.

800 GBP budged, to me, says that you're going to be getting a used GT2871 and a manifold. If that was the case, I'd save another 150 and buy Nash's TD06.

But if you can stretch to that GTX and you can afford the manifold and lines as well, that's going to be hilarious fun.
    Oh all I meant there was Ben recommended the GT2871r , and like you say a used one of those or even the GT3071r would be within my budget. its just is the 2871 going to be on its limits of efficiency at near 400 putting more stress on the engine VS if the 3071 would give me the power at lower boost levels with similar spool , i mean is the lag on the 3071 really that bad in comparison and how those two would stack up against something like that TD06 set up bearing in mind the cost of each set up used.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    400bhp is about the absolute limit for standard internals, head gasket, gearbox, most clutches etc.

I wouldn't look to push much past it unless you have those basis covered as much as it pains me to say it, I wish I could run 400bhp all day long as well.
    Yeah i dont want to push it past that , just get the most i can which seems to be 400 , was going to look into running a high and low boost setting with whichever setup i go for

Rides
    A 2871 will be near the limit at 400 but it's very do-able and good fun, I have run a 2871 @ 405bhp for about a year and it's been good. But I have a forged engine.

And yes, sorry Ben, you're right.

Rides
    Sorry guys missed your posts while typing the other reply

Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    It won't out perform it, but it'll be less likely to destroy your standard bottom end...

The GTX3071R is a 500hp turbo
    Ah , I thought that the 2871 would be putting more strain due to being on the limit of its efficiency , Is the gt3071r and GTX3071r near enough the same thing just with quicker spool on the GTX or is the GTX a much more powerful snail as you say really a 500bhp turbo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    If it was me, get a 2871r and be happy.

I've had a TD06 and a GTX2867r.

TD06 = Laggy hell and made the car a pig to drive.

GTX2867R = Great Turbo but high cost compared to a GT2871r which gives very comparable results.
    thanks , Was the TD06 really that bad ? Im a sucker for a topmount if the 2871 would sit happy at that power its certainly taking the lead with my decision making.

Rides
    I had it on a non-VVT SR and it didn't give me full boost till 4500rpm, I think the VVT helps kick it in earlier but you'll not get proper power till 4000rpm ish... my GTX was smooth was like a diagonal line going up the page. It was so awesome.

The 2871R with a set of cams and you'll be knocking on the heels of 400hp.

The GTX was a great turbo, at 1.2Bar it gave me ~350hp and it would easy push 1.6Bar and give you over 400hp. It has a maximum output of ~450hp but you'd need an engine capable of supporting that with cams and the likes.

The issue is GTX2867r's are £1400 new and rarely come up 2nd hand, GT2871R's are like £900 new and are the turbo of choice if you want power, direct fitment and decent response.

If I was to ever end up in an S-Body again I'd 2871R an SR every day of the week.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    I had it on a non-VVT SR and it didn't give me full boost till 4500rpm, I think the VVT helps kick it in earlier but you'll not get proper power till 4000rpm ish... my GTX was smooth was like a diagonal line going up the page. It was so awesome.

The 2871R with a set of cams and you'll be knocking on the heels of 400hp.

The GTX was a great turbo, at 1.2Bar it gave me ~350hp and it would easy push 1.6Bar and give you over 400hp. It has a maximum output of ~450hp but you'd need an engine capable of supporting that with cams and the likes.

The issue is GTX2867r's are £1400 new and rarely come up 2nd hand, GT2871R's are like £900 new and are the turbo of choice if you want power, direct fitment and decent response.

If I was to ever end up in an S-Body again I'd 2871R an SR every day of the week.
    Damn that is pretty laggy then

So the GT2871r or GT3071r would fit standard elbow and location ect then , would it need an external wastegate ( so manifold as well ) ?

Rides
    I dnt think lag is the rpm the turbo kicks in. Its how quick it spins up once in the rpm range of the turbo no?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    2871r and poncams with a custom map will see you close to 400
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    I dnt think lag is the rpm the turbo kicks in. Its how quick it spins up once in the rpm range of the turbo no?
    Confused now lol , can you dumb that down to how the car would drive ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    2871r and poncams with a custom map will see you close to 400
    Afraid Cams arnt an option at the moment

Rides
    I made 330wheel power at 1.4bar on a gt2871r .64

I've now fitted poncams and am going to fit the .86 exhaust housing to which should see me at 400hp easily

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith350 View Post
    Damn that is pretty laggy then

So the GT2871r or GT3071r would fit standard elbow and location ect then , would it need an external wastegate ( so manifold as well ) ?
    the GT3071r will not fit in the stock position. I'm sure its a different flange... the 2871r is a direct replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Yeah your technically correct but an SR20 doesn't spin the turbo up to start generating boost till around 3800-4000rpm and then it takes about 500rpm more to bring it up to around 1.4Bar. For the likes of drifting my set up was terrible as you'd lift off a little and then as it lost all boost, you'd need a clutch kick to bring it back on, the GTX solved that issue as it would spin up with zero resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith350 View Post
    Confused now lol , can you dumb that down to how the car would drive ?

Afraid Cams arnt an option at the moment
    See above for how my car drove... summary again was bascically numb holding back feel till around 4000rpm, then a slow build up to boost and at ~4500rpm it unleashed hell and went like a scalded cat!

Why are cams not an option? Even a small upgrade and leaving the remainder of the valvetrain stock would be cheap enough.

Rides
    Wullie you do get a T2 flanged gt3071r that bolts in stock position.

But it will prob not kick in till closer to 5k

I would personally run the gt2871r 56trim with .86 exhaust housing. This will make it a turbo between the usual 52trim gt2871r .64 and the gt3071r.

Talking full boost at around 4200rpm