Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Polofours s14a

Rides
    I mostly use 1 max 7 on 0.6mm wire with 15/85 Argon/Co2 and when I need more penetration I go to 2 min or max depending on the thickness of what I am welding.

1 max 7 works well with pulsing I find.

Rides
    So Exactly the same as me then apart from the settings. Will give 1 max a go then. See what that's like

I need to also invest in a bigger gas bottle!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    So Exactly the same as me then apart from the settings. Will give 1 max a go then. See what that's like

I need to also invest in a bigger gas bottle!
    Get onto Adams Gas!

Pre-update update, massive thanks to brian who from now on will be forever know as THOR.

Brian (and Richie P)cut me and bent the 17mm wide sill bottom angle at 105 degrees into a 1415mm long 150mm wide piece of steel, all we had to do was form the gradual curve of the upper sill to fit it in.....

Problem was it was 1.8mm steel

Two hours of hammering and forming using a tinmans mallet, T dolly, Bench vice and some G clamps and its a perfect fit! got to love the old school approach.

Will get some pictures up tomorrow of the other work I did today.

I HAVE SILLS!!

Rides
    Good news! Did you not buy a spice weasle kit?

I did my outer sill today. Not overly happy with the finish but I am tired. I am sure it will look better in the morning hahahaha

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Pics of the sills or it hasn't happened
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    + 1

Rides
    Good news! Did you not buy a spice weasle kit?

I did my outer sill today. Not overly happy with the finish but I am tired. I am sure it will look better in the morning hahahaha
    It is Good news! I was going to as he makes great stuff, if I ever have to do one again then I will definitely use his kit! but I wanted to see if I could do it in my garage.

True story! see below

First thing I did yesterday was re establish the rear of the sill/wheel arch line. The curved piece that I made I tacked in and then welded a plate to close the corner of the front of the back wheel arch up. Looks a little rough because I haven't dressed the welds yet, I will probably go at it with an air file so as not to thin the surrounding body work too much.

That left the back ( wheel arch ) looking like this. I had a lot of snags with blow through but managed to get all the holes filled in ok, once I have checked for pinholes I will seam seal and gravitex it up.

And the side of the car like this. FYI everything is just covered in Etchweld at the moment to prevent surface corrosion reforming.

Next I decided to put in that little bracket I bent up, I figured from its position and construction it was to stop the mid sill panting through vibration and I had made it anyway. As it was super thin it was quite hard to MIG. Looks like a sill brace now though. I added an extra right angle bracket you can see in the second picture, Nissan just glued it where I have put my piece of angle!

And now the money shot.......

Tadaa! all formed over this T dolly

Using a 5" plastic tin mans mallet and alot of patience took about two hours of hammering and test fitting but it was worth it for sure. I didn't want to keep pushing yesterday as I didn't want to make any mistakes fitting it, I will get it put in next week. So much effort has gone into getting it to this point and a huge thanks to all my friends for helping in many ways.

I have to fix the passenger floor pan but then I can do something that isn't metal work! yay!

Rides
    Those look awesome! Good work mate. Putting on a whole length sill will be so much tidier when all done

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Nice
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Awesome work! And top points for saving the car too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnstormer View Post
    Awesome work! And top points for saving the car too
    Nice
    Those look awesome! Good work mate. Putting on a whole length sill will be so much tidier when all done
    Thanks. Its been hard work to get this far but I am super excited for getting that on next week, its the last of the "Major" metal work.

Rides
    I am gunning to finish mine this weekend. Late shifts in order

Rides
    Thats an incredible amount of work.

I think you deserve an SXOC medal

Rides
    I am gunning to finish mine this weekend. Late shifts in order
    NO PROOF NO GLORY

Quote Originally Posted by Garyp View Post
    Thats an incredible amount of work.

I think you deserve an SXOC medal
    For saving one from the scrappers? Would the moderators go for that? lol. I couldn't have done it without this community

Rides
    There needs to be a welding emoticon.

This afternoon managed to get some time on the car, I suddenly became mega busy a few weeks ago and couldn't keep the project moving how I wanted. but we could be back on track soon.

Started by cleaning up the inside of the new sill, nothing fancy just wet and dry with some elbow grease

Then Hydrate 80.

I also Electroxed the inside too. but dont seem to have a photo, Imagine grey.

Did some more trimming with tin snips to get a pretty decent fit, the gap in the nearfield is actually a problem with the end of the sill thats already welded in will see what I can do with that later on, but other than that the fit is sweet.

Then lots of separate tacks, ensuring I was pulling or pushing it level as I went, then started joining them up, stopped here for today as its taking ages and I don't want to get annoyed with it. you can see there is a few holes from blow through that I haven't filled in yet either.

This is the back end, I managed to pull the end piece out a touch and got a pretty decent weld in on it, once its flatted back it shouldn't need more than 2mm of filler to be smooth.

Will hopefully get the rest of this welded in tomorrow then can look at the next piece which I think will be the passenger floor pan. another update tomorrow evening hopefully.

Rides
    Maned to get most of the welding done yesterday, will get a photo up later.

Rides
    one photo update time.

I HAZ SILLZ

Rides
    That's such a nice feeling isn't it! Are you gonna scurf it all back and prime it. Or you leaving the welds alone for strength? Also what thickness steel did you use?

Rides
    Wow!!! 1.8mm I just read back. Gonna take some time for that to rot through again

Rides
    Wow!!! 1.8mm I just read back. Gonna take some time for that to rot through again

Yeah hopefully! It took bloody ages to hammer form, all because we couldnt be bothered to drive 1.9 miles to the nearest slip rollers!

got a bit more done yesterday, but I am in Portsmouth during the week now so I can only work on it at weekends If any SXOC'ers nearby want a hand send me a PM.

ground the new sill weld back, before I welded it I made sure that I had a slight Valley and tiny root gap along most of its length that I could weld into, this meant that I could put most of the heat into the 1.8mm sheet and use the pool to pull the edge of the 1.2mm skin into the weld. (any welders out there please correct me if I have done this wrong!) I didnt grind back all the way either, jut enough so I can flush the sill with a little bit of filler. then cover it all up with a side skirt anyway.

And my internet here is poop. so photobucket takes ages to load.

started by cutting out the worst of the rot behind the rear wheel arch. It was worse this side than the other side for some reason, maybe because the pressure vent is on the other side and lets air flow dry it out a bit? the metal on the right cut in the second picture looks thin but is nearly 1mm so should be weldable.

then I started to make rough panels. the fit is ok, will fine tune them just before welding. hopefully I can get them welded in friday. the lip on the wheel arch piece needs more hammer work for sure.