Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Polofours s14a

Rides
    That jig is something else! I'm in awe of how nice a bit of kit it is.

Looks like you've got a fair bit of work to do, but it's such a nice feeling when it's done! You'll definitely want to chop out the sills anyway so you can do some repairs/prevention on the inner sill, I cleaned it all back while it was opened up, and slathered on loads of weld-thru paint, then squirted a ton of dinitrol down there after the outer skin went back on. Very satisfying!

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress!

Rides
    Holy crap, driveway jig!? Nice work!

Rides
    That jig is awesome, glad to see it's being repaired and not scrapped too.

Rides
    game on mate, nice work! with it rotating like that it'll much easier to deal with properly. looking forward to seeing your progress.

Rides
    thanks for all the cool comments, i am borrowing a mates trailer on tuesday to move the car to the new house. so a few days after that will be the next update ( probably me ranting about losing all my tools in the move!!)

Rides
    Nice work dude cool that you take the challenge and you don't give up the car

Rides
    Update soon I promise, it's a biggy!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by polofour View Post
    update soon i promise, it's a biggy!
    Eagerly waiting..

Rides
    keep your pants on Zeldoz!!

where do i start? moved house ok, got a bigger garage (win!) but had to move the car when it was on the jig and stupid 75mm wheels (lose) got the usual suspects round and got it moved easy enough.

mark looks abit portly in that one!!

VICTORY!!

german car following

then I flipped it and looked at it for a while, the missus said we had to unpack "the house" first got that crap done real fast

then decided to tackle the underside strip and the chassis rail.

this is the crushed chassis rail

crushed chassis rail removed

***FYI*** chassis rail is ~1mm thick DO NOT JACK OFF THESE!! OMFG I NEVER KNEW THEY WERE SO THIN!!

folded up some 90's and trim them to length, ran them through the shrinker/stretcher (NEW FAVORITE TOOL IN THE WORLD EVER!!) to profile them to the floor of the car

the idea behind the holes was to spot weld the pieces together but i forgot about them and tacked it up on the edge

got richie at work to fold up a box section on this monster for me

this puppy can fold pound coins in half!! true story

applied some snot to it and it doesnt look half bad!! is now made of 1.2mm steel so will be tougher.

thank you Mr. Meares!! TIGTIGTIG

then on to the stripping of the underneath. not sure if this will work...(click on the little picture! will take you to a time lapse video on my photobucket)

it now sits like this, so clean!!

there is more but i will update this again later as its another good update!

HAPPY NOW Z?

Rides
    Absolutely awesome! Funny thing was I was going to say get a pic sitting on the underside of the car!! But there's one on the roof! Hahaha!

I want one of those stretchers tools for the metal.. That's like effortless! Are you refurbing the subframe whilst it's off too?

Looks so clean now! I'm jealous!

Rides
    its alright to be honest, i am going to patch up alot of it, just to make sure any rot i miss wont spread too fast. its been surprising as i cut into it to see where its been "repaired" before, will put up some pictures of the repairs i will have to make later. i was so happy when it got on that trailer, had to lift it on with the jig on the back took three of us!

Rides
    Looking good mate. I have a couple of crushed chassis rails from this summer when I tried to use axle stands on them I had no idea they'd be that weak

Rides
    so the other bit i have got done is starting the drivers side sill repair, the chassis tilter has made this pretty easy for access!! i wouldnt want to have had to do this upside down, massive respect for those who do!!

so i initially cut away the skin to see how bad it was.. its alright actually, i feared worse.

the hole penetrates a few layers in there but isn't too big. the picture below is why you shouldnt chat to a mate whilst trying to cut a straight line with the grinder!!!! i hsve fudged that, there is a lip in the skin of the car that i will now have to hammer form

interestingly, the hole i have my finger in here is doubled up with a plate nside thats over 2.5mm thick!! probably one of the strongest bits of the car. anyone have any clue why its there?

cut an access hole in the next layer, realised i probably cut it in the wrong place but will have to live with it now, shouldnt be too hard to fix. the hole continues...

after a bit more trimming and chopping it now sits like this, will peel the whole sill off for easy access for cleaning and preserving.

doesnt seem too bad right??? until you stick some 12" rulers in there and realise how much you cut out!!!

lol. next step is to order sills from rich!!

Rides
    Dude you cut the jacking point off

The bit where your finger was is the jacking point with the 2.5mm folded plate it.

its nice to see people are repairing rather than scraping.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Dude you cut the jacking point off

The bit where your finger was is the jacking point with the 2.5mm folded plate it.

its nice to see people are repairing rather than scraping.
    lol, dont worry i am putting in reinforced jacking points anyway, i did wonder if that is what it was for.

Rides
    Will be watching this closely. I am one of those who will be doing this on the floor

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    absolutely fantastic work mate, 1st class on the chassis rail, I'm about to tackle my sills as well, already done the front, terrible job

Rides
    How did you clean the bottom up that shiny? Wire wheel on angle grinder?

Rides
    thats zinc primer hes sprayed on is it not?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jj205mi16 View Post
    thats zinc primer hes sprayed on is it not?
    Weld through primer at the moment, although I think I have made an error there, I should have been putting on hydrate 80 followed by electron zinc paint, the idea was to protect it temporarily whilst I get the strip done and identify areas to repair. Might invest in a soda blast set up to rest rip it back post repair for hydrate 80 + zinc paint. Will take ages but be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    How did you clean the bottom up that shiny? Wire wheel on angle grinder?

Yup takes ages but is totally worth it.