Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Polofours s14a

Rides

Polofours s14a

YES, Photobucket ruined my build thread, I intend to go back through and start re uploading photos but there is three years of thread here. The most recent posts are on FLICKR and the pictures work. If there are any specific pictures you want of the rust removal in the sills PM me and i will dig them out for you.

I love a good story but every one loves pictures more, I have had this car for a while now so heres a brief history of how I got to where I am now 

In the beginning….
    The car was brought completely standard

Did some small ish mods, including D2 8pot brakes, some Nissan BBS wheels and R888 tyres, springs, air filter cone, manual conversion…the usual stuff

Then went all over Europe in it,

Stelvio pass. Sat nav struggled here

Swiss alps

Bottom of the swiss alps

5* accomadation

Then after thinking that I knew how the car behaved it bit me.

Amusingly enough it was on a round about, would you believe it? Then It spent a bit of time as a clown car

After this it was in real danger of becoming a bit of a missle car, I was having an illicit affair with my R32 GTR you can see in the edge of the picture, but I am so glad I didn’t let that happen, instead I sold the GTR because I didn’t get the same tingly feeling when I drove it… it just scared me.

So, more pennies were spent on fiber glass +20mm front wings and a seibon carbon bonnet and some fresh KH3 paint. And a set of Rota GTRDs (boo hiss I know) hks silent hi-power and other stuff I cant remember.

Then because of work commitments it sat for a while, managed to get to FD Vegas 2012,(the year Jim Guthrie flipped his mustang) and holy bat balls, it’s a different level, kind of makes the BDC look like some olds boys in a car park. And you can sit so close to the armco’s that you get bits of daigo saitos car in your face. Met the coolest kid in town too

But now, the build is happening, and I knew I would need the support, advice and help of a great community of people to make it happen. So here we go.
    Last edited by Polofour; 02-08-2017 at 18:17.

Rides
    The actual build has been going steadily. Engines out. I found it helps if you remember to take the gear stick out first

Stepped into the car to find something on the back seat, and noticed the floor was abit spongey, lifted the seat and carpet out and found a small hole 

So I patched it up temporary for now. I feel I should mention that I am an aircraft avionics engineer by trade, I have no sheet metal work experience or welding skill at all, Spice_weazle has inspired me hugely  I am learning on the go.

The plan is to start at the front of the car and work back, so I want to tackle the engine bay,front suspension and front of the chassis first.

I drilled and cut out the front supports for the horn and lights and removed the post which the locking mechanism for the bonnet sits on, these were all bent in the crash so I will fabricate replacements for them, also the slam panel is bent and the front lower cross brace is corroded quite heavily IMO. So these will all be replaced….. I hope…

Rides
    Good luck with the project

What's the end goal?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave270r View Post
    What's the end goal?
    err.... sounds daft but I am not sure yet, I cant decide between grip or drift.

UPDATE: grip it is
    Last edited by Polofour; 03-06-2014 at 18:07.

Rides
    small update

started making the new front lower cross member, took some advice from spice_weasle. it will eventually "hang" from the bottom of the chassis rails and will be braced with some good ole' triangle bits.

also set myself on fire a little bit

Rides
    small update, had some time yesterday, got a brace tacked in prior to lower cross beam removal

started drilling out tack welds, managed to snap my spot weld bit so just used an 8mm drill bit and will fill the holes later.

also took engine stuff into work and managed to shot blast it, will upload some pictures later, managed to paint one piece and it has come up nice

Rides
    stuff I got done at work

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Good project

May of missed it but what front wings are they?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Hope you didn't shotblast the cam cover?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Good project

May of missed it but what front wings are they?
    thanks they are SRB +20mm wings, the front right fits sweet the front left however...

whilst the missus was asleep with baby I managed to get a little bit more done

front lower cross member out and the new one offered up to check fit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by integra View Post
    Hope you didn't shotblast the cam cover?
    damn right I did rubber sealed the oil ways so all is good, and loaded the most stupidly fine media I have ever seen so as not to damage the soft ali casting, it has come out really well. has taken paint nicely.

Rides
    Front lower cross member is made, will get pics up soon

Rides
    Nice project! Keep up the good work!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    right. remembered my photo bucket log in so could finally upload some pictures.

some progress on the front lower cross member.

got some box and after consulting with spice_weazel about the best way to do it we came up with this. the one in the picture above is a mockup before people point out crappy cutting it is 50 x 50 x 2 box so it will be ultra strong and i can mount the nudge bar and front splitter to it without fear of it failing.

this is the actual piece thats going in. need to drill a few holes through so it can be bolted to the brackets that the tension arms are at the other end of.... if that makes sense.

as i am working on the front end anyway i thought i would test fit front end suspension stuff. so i dug out the geomasters and the alignment arms and fitted them together

and hung it all in place on the car

don't worry about the rusty bits in the background....

passenger side suspension/wing/wheel arch joint.

whilst faffing with the suspension stuff i realised i have lost one of the offset spacers for the tension rods, and after tearing the garage apart i couldn't find it so was getting upset. as they say a change is as good as a rest so i moved onto to anti rust warfare operations

spot drilled off the top front wing plate

you might not think it would give much access but you would be surprised came off nicely

absolutely mint, and nothing i can see down inside the wing either which is nice. next step went like drill drill chop chop swear fire up the compressor chop chop mwahahahaha...

sorry for the bad ish photo, was hard to get the camera to focus, there is another little hole in the wheel arch panel that you can see but that will get chopped out soon, i have template the piece using CAD (cardboard aided design ) and just need to transfer it to steel at some point this weekend.

am a little bit nervous as its an actual structural piece as opposed to the floor repair i made. am still new to this metal work stuff.

also some little bits have been getting done on the engine.

trusty NATO green paint i think it looks sweet

will try to get more pictures up of the other engine bits soon, have done the intake and throttle body. am waiting on an order from pro bolt to arrive so i can bolt it all back together.
    Last edited by Polofour; 25-01-2015 at 10:43. Reason: stupid photobucket moving my pictures

Rides
    update-o!

photos first

hole i cut, made a new piece!

which amazingly didnt fit?? well vexed by this and if anyone can shed any light on why then please do. will be sending out a few PM's on this subject..

made it out of two seperate pieces in the end. weldings a bit rough but i new to it so meh, some seam sealer on it and it will be ok, most of it will be getting chopped out when i tub the arches anyway.

ignore all the cross hatched crap, i was discussing with a mate how much had to actually be cut out for a tub, the bottom of the repair is still not fully welded just loads of tacks to get practice in!

pulled the battery tray out too. will get the DEOX-C on this when its not minus a million degrees.

also treated my self to a valve removal tool set

and finished stripping the top of the spare engine ready to go off and be cleaned in the dip tank!

just scrubbing the worst of the crap off prior to cleaning.

also as promised last time the bestest shiniest OEM throttle body ever?!?

progress is slow at the moment because of work ad family stuff, am hoping to get the new front lower cross member cleaned up and in before the end of the month, then will get some mates round to do the slam panel replace and rebuild the front end.

Rides
    its been a while but i haven't been idle folks!

got the first tub in, went easier than i thought it would, big thanks to Mike and his mad welding skillz. he was only down for a day and we got loads done.

got the new front lower cross member in as well, will take the temporary brace out once the new slam panel is all welded in.

managed to get the passenger side tub main piece rolled up and ready to go in, just got to cut the other two plates and can get them all tacked up ready to weld.

started to get the mounts for the seats made up as well. its the little jobs that can be the most satisfying sometimes, i had great fun making these crudy little brackets

also got me a bottle of pureshield argon, didnt realise how much difference it would make to welding, the welds are super clean and silver, however, i seem to be putting loads more heat into the metal and am getting less penetration

got a bottle of argon lite (argon/co2 mix) on the way but it probably wont be here for a couple of weeks sadtimes

anyone who can offer any tips i am all ears!!!

got all my -AN fittings and piping for the power steering today as well hopefully the cooler will turn up tomorrow and i can start measuring the pipes. am going to relocate the reservoir as well, and ditch the sensor, does anyone know what it is for? is it temperature?

cheers.

Rides
    managed to grab a few more hours on this recently, so did an ABS delete

removed the headlight back plates as they were made of rust, welded up a front frame from 20x20 box, will mount most of the front end from this.

got me some TIG weld action going on to have been practicing this recently and am getting much better

also finished up the first tub will paint it today

and got the second tub mocked up all in steel which is nice. it looks wonky in the photo because i havent trimmed the triangular piece yet

Rides
    just noticed i have been plodding along on this for over a year!! need to get moving on it.

did some more on the other tub.

got it all tacked in place.

and started laying in some nice welds, getting much better with welding now!

top tip is to remove your sheet metal pins before you put too much heat into the metal

cleaned up a few more engine parts as well

front cover/oil pump housing.

does anyone know where i can get a set of new rotors from for cheaps? i want new ones as it makes sense to change them whilst its all apart.

also 10 points if anyone can tell me where i work from that photo.

also got the head back from perrett engineering after having it dipped.

he has says he doesnt want to do the work i want done on my engine which is annoying really, that leaves anderson racing engines who are expensive but very good or DYengine services or maybe sigma engineering. if anyone can recommend a good engine builder in somerset post it up.

thats all for now, am away most of next week at goodwood!! working there this year so have all access passess from wednesday to monday! will be looking for inspiration for sure!

Rides
    other tubs nearly done

Rides
    well. where to start.....

goodwood was amazing! as always, the first time i have had to go there with work but it was better being in uniform. got into loads of places i probably wasnt supposed to be.

will just picture blurt

closer

CLOSER

he really cant see much out front

and back to reality...

tubs in, just got the last bit of dressing to do

new front frame is nearly in just got the passenger side front to finish off.

loads of room for this now

happy

thats all for now, am off to germany for a couple of weeks next week so i want these bits finish and the engine sat on its mounts if i can.