Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polofours s14a

Rides
    Its only bracing hopes to dreams anyway. i will do some thinking but am not sure if i refit them.

Rides
    minor update,

not alot has happened, been gathering supplies ready for the reapirs, have ordered the roll over jig, and it will be here friday!! I am stoked.

just got to wait for that and the shrinker stretcher to turn up and i should be good to get going. i also have to move house so that will have to fit in around the repair

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Look forward to the progress, love that people are doing proper restorations on these now.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    looking good mate, love the commitment and full restoration going on here!

have you got any more detailed Pics of the areas that you have had to cut away and replace with fresh metal? i will be doing mine soon and would like to see what is behind the surface metal, in particular the area where the captive nut/ boomerang mount is going to the sill. is there much behind that that may be rust affected?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew8717 View Post

have you got any more detailed Pics of the areas that you have had to cut away and replace with fresh metal? i will be doing mine soon and would like to see what is behind the surface metal, in particular the area where the captive nut/ boomerang mount is going to the sill. is there much behind that that may be rust affected?
    There's like a cavity from when i was looking at mine being done. It depends how bad your rust/rot is and how wet it was getting. Luckily mine didn' go too far. If you look @ my thread im sure i have a video showing the rust before it was repaired and you could see straight up into the sill etc.. With loads of other pictures showing the sill repair progress and you can see behind the sills etc

Top work here pal! Had to do the same on mine, but i paid a garage. The next one i'll be doing on a jig i hope!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew8717 View Post

thanks mate, Check out Spice_weasle's thread, he has really detailed pictures of the pieces he cut out and the replacement panels he made up. he also makes new sill pieces.

ITS HERE!!!

just sourcing some 32 mm OD mild steel bar that I can lathe the inside out of to make the adapters to join jig to car then i will be doing 360's!!

i get the keys to my new house on the 29th, so work will be slow for the next few weeks but hope to start cutting soon.

Rides
    That jig is beyond epic!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldoz View Post
    That jig is beyond epic!
    it was also beyond expensive

however it will let me fix my car properly and that is what matters, it will also fit any car! plus i think it looks like the scutter robots from red dwarf.

Rides
    Roll over jigs/rotisseries make life so much easier to fix cars. A must IMO for a smooth restoration project.

Rides
    Serious piece of kit, keep up the good work mate!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    Serious piece of kit, keep up the good work mate!
    Cheers!

like i said it will be little updates for a month or so, due to the house move.

I did get these today from my old man. 32mm OD mild steel bar stock. Plan is to lathe out the middle to 25mm Dia. that will fit to the jig bar and mean i dont have to weld anything to the actual jig itself, the lathe work should only cost me a pack of jaffa cakes too!

mmmm shiny.

Rides
    was going to machine out the bar stock today but instead i found some 25mm I.D T45 tube in the garage. dont know why i had that?? cut some 100mm lengths and they fit perfectly. which is amazing, however, they dont have enough meat on them. even if i bore out the bar stock i have it wont be thick enough. see below...

all machined spangly 'n' shiz.

fitting sweet.

wait a minute.....

arse.

I think I will weld these adapters to some 20mm box I have lying around and then weld that to the 50mm box of the spar. If I put in some gussets it should be plenty strong enough to hold. steel has a pretty good tensile strength, or so i've heard

couldnt be arsed to clear up either.

Rides
    made the back bar ready to attach today, should really be packing the house but meh. i have to pack the car too!

and the adapters with the spacer fix.

welding looks a bit snotty but is solid (i hope, had the box section in a vice and a bar in the tube and couldnt break it.)

got some welding rash too, my fire proof coat from china isnt all that fire proof it turns out time to find a decent one.

i put castor wheels on one half of the jig too, will put photos up later on of that. so close to being able to roll this thing now.

Rides
    I can't wait for the new neighbour reaction of you turning up with a car on a jig!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    i can't wait for the new neighbour reaction of you turning up with a car on a jig! :d
    I will let you know how it goes down

So.. My car does this

which is great, however one of the castors has broken so i will have to think of a way around that issue before loading it onto the trailer to move it.

apologies that some of the photos are at an odd angle. just tilt your head/turn your phone to look at them the right way up

passenger rear sill

old patch under passenger seat, holding well but my welds then are crap compared to now so it was nice to know i am getting better

Passenger front sill

drivers side rear arch...crumbly...

drivers rear sill, doesn't look too bad in the photo until you spot those dark bits are massive holes!!!

back drivers side chassis leg crushed

front of one of the chassis rails rotted through.

hopefully I will have more time to work on it once we have moved, will brace it more before i start cutting pieces out as its only lightly braced at the moment.

thats all for now kids.

Rides
    That is really nasty. That jig is just brilliant.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldoz View Post
    That is really nasty. That jig is just brilliant.
    i know, hopefully when i go at it with a wire wheel it wont keep extending. the jig is cool its really easy to turn it, its hard not to spin the car and shout "WEEEEEE!!!"

Rides
    Boy you have your work cut out there good thread to follow, love the jig.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I've seen far worse repaired
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Boy you have your work cut out there good thread to follow, love the jig.
    thanks. wont really know how much there is until i start poking and wire brushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    I've seen far worse repaired
    yup, Spice_weasle has been great with advice and pictures and answering all my dumb questions, once i am in the new house (garage) i will send him my order for sills i think i am going to have to replace the lot