Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: milsom 93's Project Skids S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by john905 View Post
    thats the best way mate sort the rust out and work from there, yeah i did manage to get to pod again in December and going back in feb after i have fitted camber arms and got the alignment done
    Fantastic mate! Keep the seat time going

Rides
    Round 2 on what's been happening.

First of all the boring undersealing! Done the rear arches now. The driverside rear arch was the worst by far and needs a small bit of welding, but the rest just ground down to solid metal and had a good coat of underseal. I have dropped the car back down for now until I can get my hands on a rust converter just to make sure its fully solid.

The Welding

Before

After

Also I received a HD Stage 1 chip for the ECU. I am running all the mods apart from a boost controller which will be bought on pay day so thought may as well get the chip. I am going to stay at stage 1 I think with the CA as I firstly think the less power I have whilst getting to grips with drifting the better I will become skills wise, but also as I drive this to the track and back I just want reliable no fuss power and from what I have read up a CA with a HD stage 1 chip and all the mods (touch wood) should handle it easy.

I decided to try and fit the chip myself as I claim to be an "Electrical Engineer". I don't do much soldering in my job really, but I thought stuff it I'll give it a go. Turns out it really isn't hard at all and would suggest if you have had exposure to soldering before to give it a whirl. I did order a new soldering iron and fancy de-soldering pump which definitely helped.

ECU with covers off

Daughter board off on chip exposed

The solder you need to take off

Solder off (it took some prying out after this so just be careful not to damage anything)

New socket soldered in (two connections just wouldn't melt into the volcano shape I wanted but I made sure they was good enough connections)

Chip pushed in

Daughter board back on

Then just simply put the cover on ready to fit again.

I have been out first thing this morning and placed the ECU back in to see if it worked or if I needed to check all the connections. Thankfully she fired up straight away!! result!! bolted it all back in whilst I let the car warm up and then took it for a quick drive around the block. I know there's not going to be much difference until I turn the boost up but it runs as it should which is the main thing and feels like there's slightly more torque but not much of a noticeable difference.

Now on to the plans.

The car is off to Chrisp Tuning on Thursday for the clutch doing. He is going to take my old one out and refurb it in to a paddle clutch and skim my flywheel. All this for cheaper than I can even buy a brand new clutch. So I'll give some feedback once that's all done. While the cars there with no box in they are going to weld the small patch up also.

As said I'll purchase a boost controller after the clutch is done. I was thinking of getting the GFB G-force 2 electronic boost controller as the bang for buck is remarkable and has really good reviews, but has anyone experienced them?

After this I'll carry on with the undersealing, give the car a good service, new tyres all round and then get it out on the track all summer hopefully.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by milsom93 View Post
    Round 2 on what's been happening.

First of all the boring undersealing! Done the rear arches now. The driverside rear arch was the worst by far and needs a small bit of welding, but the rest just ground down to solid metal and had a good coat of underseal. I have dropped the car back down for now until I can get my hands on a rust converter just to make sure its fully solid.

The Welding

Before

After

Also I received a HD Stage 1 chip for the ECU. I am running all the mods apart from a boost controller which will be bought on pay day so thought may as well get the chip. I am going to stay at stage 1 I think with the CA as I firstly think the less power I have whilst getting to grips with drifting the better I will become skills wise, but also as I drive this to the track and back I just want reliable no fuss power and from what I have read up a CA with a HD stage 1 chip and all the mods (touch wood) should handle it easy.

I decided to try and fit the chip myself as I claim to be an "Electrical Engineer". I don't do much soldering in my job really, but I thought stuff it I'll give it a go. Turns out it really isn't hard at all and would suggest if you have had exposure to soldering before to give it a whirl. I did order a new soldering iron and fancy de-soldering pump which definitely helped.

ECU with covers off

Daughter board off on chip exposed

The solder you need to take off

Solder off (it took some prying out after this so just be careful not to damage anything)

New socket soldered in (two connections just wouldn't melt into the volcano shape I wanted but I made sure they was good enough connections)

Chip pushed in

Daughter board back on

Then just simply put the cover on ready to fit again.

I have been out first thing this morning and placed the ECU back in to see if it worked or if I needed to check all the connections. Thankfully she fired up straight away!! result!! bolted it all back in whilst I let the car warm up and then took it for a quick drive around the block. I know there's not going to be much difference until I turn the boost up but it runs as it should which is the main thing and feels like there's slightly more torque but not much of a noticeable difference.

Now on to the plans.

The car is off to Chrisp Tuning on Thursday for the clutch doing. He is going to take my old one out and refurb it in to a paddle clutch and skim my flywheel. All this for cheaper than I can even buy a brand new clutch. So I'll give some feedback once that's all done. While the cars there with no box in they are going to weld the small patch up also.

As said I'll purchase a boost controller after the clutch is done. I was thinking of getting the GFB G-force 2 electronic boost controller as the bang for buck is remarkable and has really good reviews, but has anyone experienced them?

After this I'll carry on with the undersealing, give the car a good service, new tyres all round and then get it out on the track all summer hopefully.
    This could be stickied for anyone wanting to fit there own chip!

Great work dude i did similar to mine a few months back but all out and did subframe, bushes, arms etc etc. Making great progress though, what underseal you using out of curiosity and are you priming the bare metal before applying underseal?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    This could be stickied for anyone wanting to fit there own chip!

Great work dude i did similar to mine a few months back but all out and did subframe, bushes, arms etc etc. Making great progress though, what underseal you using out of curiosity and are you priming the bare metal before applying underseal?
    Cheers mate, the chip is easy enough for anyone else to have a go but there is a better guide I read up on driftworks if anyone wants the link.

I'm using Hammerite brush on underseal but the one with waxoil in it. I read some where that some underseals don't harden which I wasn't keen on but leave this over night and it's spot on so far. I've been putting some halfrauds anti-rust primer on the bare metal mate but do you have anything else you suggest? In an ideal world I'd love to drop the subframe for refurb ect but I'll just be paint around it for now. I think next winter I'll drop the subframe and get all new arms front and back and refurb them but I'm running out of time this winter as I want it useable most summer haha.

Rides
    Looking good this build, nice job on the soldering

Rides
    Been and got some rust supplies

Took the car for the gearbox doing.

Chris said it looks like the gearbox and clutch has been bodged at some point as things wasn't sat correctly and all the bolts were different. He has sorted all that out so I have matching bolts holding the box on now and the clutch has been made in to a paddle clutch. Tested it out on the way home as it was slightly damp and clutch kicked it in 2nd around 30mph and clutch bit straight away and spun the rears right up to the redline. Even on my standard 215's with 30psi whichh dropping the clutch from a stand still in first was a impossible with my old clutch.

Also the welding done (Sh!t photo as its hard with the wheel still on)

Suppose I best get back on with the rust work until my boost controller gets ordered.

Rides
    Few things I have been up to lately. I am not friends with the car at the minute.

First off I have what appears to be a squeaking noise from under the car. It appears to go away when I apply the brakes. Greased the rear brake pins up. Noise is annoyingly still there!!
    How the pins came out

All back together

Got on with more de-rusting.

Got rear bumper and exhaust off

Here what lies underneath

The more I ground the more rust I found

Needs welding!

Put rust juice on it all for now to help cure fully. Will underseal what a can for now and take it for welding.

Only done the rear bumper area now, will do the underside another time.

Rides
    Looks like good progress.

Rides
    considering the underside didnt look to bad im shocked that the back has gone as bad as it has, oh the joy of s13 ownership sure you will get it sorted ok tho bud

Rides
    Good to see another s13 getting the treatment rather than being forgotten! Keep the updates coming!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Looks like good progress.
    Thank you, although i keep finding things I feel like things are moving in the right direction

considering the underside didnt look to bad im shocked that the back has gone as bad as it has, oh the joy of s13 ownership sure you will get it sorted ok tho bud
    Yeah I was shocked when I took the lights off as you say the underside isn't too bad. Although it's always the drivers side that had been bad so unsure how it was stored for 10 years but that side must have took the brunt of the weather. I don't think this is a very common place the rust either. Oh well, best get it welded up

Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Good to see another s13 getting the treatment rather than being forgotten! Keep the updates coming!
    Thanks mate. I wish I was spending this time tuning it in some way but if I get this done properly now it I can just forget about it for a fair few years from now.

Rides
    Oh by the way, what would you guys recommend to rust proof the joins of metal where the factory put a strip of sealant stuff? This is where I'm finding most of my rust and would like to banish it for good

Rides
    I would read petrols thread, he de rusts the seams.

Rides
    Update

Primered, sealed up and undersealed the parts of the rear that don't need welding. I have put the rear back together for now as I on and off need the car to get about in so I'll get it done shortly. And the same story for the underside that needs welding.

Next up was the overdue oil change. I'll get some gearbox oil shortly to do that.

Fixed the wing I damaged at pod

Undersealed what I could get to underneath and on the side for the hell of it

Bay shot, looking pretty sorry for itself under there now to be honest

Finally the exciting news. Got a Greddy Profec boost controller to finish the stage 1 set up off.

Still in the process of fine tuning the settings but loving stage 1. Had some issues to start with as no matter what i changed the set perecentage too it wouldn't raise the boost. Stop off at Chrisp tuning the same day who took one look and sorted it all out plus it looks like the vacuuming on the hot start solenoid was leaking so we got rid of that. I still need to make it look tidier as we just cut pipes ect just to see if it works.

Finally I am booked on at Teeside on the 28th March seat time!!

Flamethrower
    Rides
    How much was the boost controller? I need

Rides
    good going bud, shame these cars love to rust so bad that oil does look like its seen better days, in the summer me and a mate fancy going to teeside ive seen some youtube vids and it looks really good

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    How much was the boost controller? I need
    This one was £200 from flea bay, the box was opened but not used as the chap ended up blowing his RB and going V8. I've seen them £250 ish on eBay but unsure if there genuine matey

good going bud, shame these cars love to rust so bad that oil does look like its seen better days, in the summer me and a mate fancy going to teeside ive seen some youtube vids and it looks really good
    Yes mate, it just likes to keep, me on my toes I think with the rust haha and the oil was well overdue, which is my bad.

Teeside is ace. I did my first ever drift day there when my car was totally not ready (still had open diff) so didn't learn much, but I've been a few times to watch and hoping I will improve my technical skills on the west track. If you do come down give me a shout and I'll make sure I'm there. Although it's a bit of pain to book as they only let you know around a month before and they only do this by Facebook of which the places fill up within the day. It's really annoying for people like me who barely use Facebook

Rides
    will do bud, im not even on facebook lol will get my missus to keep an eye out and let me no as and when, is it weekends only? if so shouldnt be to much of a problem for me

Rides
    will do bud, im not even on facebook lol will get my missus to keep an eye out and let me no as and when, is it weekends only? if so shouldnt be to much of a problem for me
    Unfortunately there mainly on a Monday mate, which is kinda of a good thing for me as I work shifts now, but was mega annoying when I worked regular days.

So when I said I that the car was now boosting sweet with the boost controller, I lied. I noticed the car was miss firing at 4K RPM. Thanks to the boffins on here they pointed me straight to my rubbish hot start solenoid removal. I linked the nipple on the rear of the plenum to the FPR and the car was miles better, but sometimes did the same thing. R3k1355 thankfully pointed to my plugs which had never been gapped were on the edge and suggested some BCPR7ES plugs and gap them to 0.9. These arrived earlier so I gapped them, plonked them in and so far the car has been transformed and feels like it should, no hesitation no miss-firing and feels genuinely shit hot fast. Got 15 psi of boost now just need to fiddle the gain ect whilst out and about

Plumed boost readings into old carbon canister line

Hard to see but FPR now looped to rear nipple

New plugs, Looks like SAAB's run them as standard haha

And finally what it looks like under there now

Rides
    ok bud will see what dates come up in the summer and sort something out, first thing i done was ditch my hot start solenoid you get any over heating issues when drifting? i only ask as when i had a standard rad in mine it always boiled over but i didn't have a fan cowling tho