Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: milsom 93's Project Skids S13

Rides
    So I am sat here still knackered from yesterday as it was a long day for me but so worth it!

Yesterday was the Pod drift day and strangely all went to plan.

unfortunately Pod is 150 miles each way for me but thought that it was the best place for me to gain experience and confidence with all the facilities there, so Pod it was.

5AM start to get there for just after 9 with a breakfast stop off.

Upon getting there I pumped the rear tyres up to 45PSI to start with and went on the play pens. I soon found out that my clutch is just not up to the job (although its done 90,000 miles and had a fair bit of abuse from me so cannot complain) and was just slipping whilst trying to drift in 2nd. Bit of a bummer, but I put the rears up to just over 60PSI which made all the difference. The clutch felt much better and wasn't really slipping any more. (I do have a video of the first run of the clutch slipping in 2nd I'll upload this later)

Overall other than the clutch the car was outstanding all day!! 302 miles round trip it didn't miss a beat and then the load of abuse it got throughout the day didn't phase it. Plus I can feel and now prove the winter modifications have made a big difference and as the car felt brilliant to slide.

This leads me onto the slight miss hap I had with a fence. I was on the oval/kidney and just couldn't hold the right hand drift long enough on the big right hand with out hitting the cone so my idea was swing the car into a right hand drift, halfway swing it left and right again to give me that little bit of distance I needed. Unfortunately I got a bit cocky on one of the attempts. Swung the car right, into a left hand drift a bit too vigorously meaning the car didn't want to come back round right sending me straight into the fencing and the block that hold the fence down. The car come out of it really well and it appears that this is the only damage. Although I'll get the car up at some point and check the suspension is all OK, but it felt fine and didn't affect the cars feel.

Some pictures of the day.....

A few just before I went into the fence.

Rides
    Good going mate, shame about the fence though I nearly hit it in the same place twice, wouldn't fancy the 300 mile round trip tho was a great day and nice to meet you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by john905 View Post
    Good going mate, shame about the fence though I nearly hit it in the same place twice, wouldn't fancy the 300 mile round trip tho was a great day and nice to meet you
    Thanks mate, was nice meeting you yesterday. Yeah I think a few did had some squeaky bums on that bit but I was the one that finished it haha. Your car seemed to be going well all day too! The 6 hours motorway driving in a bucket seat and decated car is what's done me the most

Rides
    Yeah mine went well the hole day popped a intercooler pipe off twice but to much of a problem

Rides
    What happened with the fence dude?

Car looks good skidding so badly want to do a driftday!

Rides
    After using fuel tank cleaner did you seal it in anyway?? is tank still ok???

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    What happened with the fence dude?

Car looks good skidding so badly want to do a driftday!
    Cheers mate. I was on the kidney and struggling to hold the drift around the long right hand bend so started to link in the middle to give me that extra distance. Unfortnatley I got cocky on one attempt and went out too wide and too agressive so when I flicked the car left it just wouldn't come back in line and sent me in to the fence hitting the black wheight on the bottom which made a bang haha. You should deffinately go for it mate as this is probably one of the worse bits of damage that can come from Pod.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepie View Post
    After using fuel tank cleaner did you seal it in anyway?? is tank still ok???
    Yes, just normal automotive sealer around the ring but this was because when I was using the car everday (before I cleaned the tank) I was rushing to get the walbro pump in and had to replace the 6 bolts as they had all stripped. As I didn't have any short enough I had to spacer some bolts up and got one just a few mm too long and it pierce through into the tank so I had to seal the outer edge and around the specific one thread to get it to seal properly. I does still leak but it is just a wet patch when I brim the tank.

Also worth noting because it is in the fuel tank it takes around 3 days for the sealant to cure because of the fumes.

Rides
    just a video from the drift day. Unfortunately because the battery is rubbish on my camera I didnt put it on in the first half so the only footage I got was in the wet. So this is just some wet footage in the kidney after the cones had been made tighter and was struggling to link the center part with out spinning.

I have a few more I am just finding it hard to find time to boot the laptop up to fiddle with them.

I have also been in the garage today. As its been 2 years since I smashed my spoiler and I fancied doing my first bit of fiber glassing I got on with repairing that. Also whilst I was on with that I thought why not paint the whole boot lid as it has the rear wiper deleted and repainted when I got it and there was a few imperfections in the paint so I sanded all that back whilst I was at it.

cleaned up the damage

fiber glass on

All ruffed up and ready for more work tomorrow

Rides
    Cool vid, better drifting than I could have done.

Rides
    Everyone keeps telling me to just go for it but i'm too paranoid of damaging my car lol especially with fibreglass bumpers and wings!!

I am going out in a mates skyline at a local drift thing next week so i will probably get a mad buzz for it after.

Rides
    Thats not your oil light flicking on your dash in the vid is it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Cool vid, better drifting than I could have done.
    Thank you still got a lot to learn though

Quote Originally Posted by Rich put in front and pointz in brackets View Post
    Everyone keeps telling me to just go for it but i'm too paranoid of damaging my car lol especially with fibreglass bumpers and wings!!

I am going out in a mates skyline at a local drift thing next week so i will probably get a mad buzz for it after.
    Can totally sympathise with you to be honest mate white your nice looking car as drifting definitely takes its toll on it sooner or later

Quote Originally Posted by richiie View Post
    Thats not your oil light flicking on your dash in the vid is it?
    Thankfully not, it's the hand brake light when I was giving it a quick yank haha good eyes though

Rides
    No real update here as I am finding hard to find time to do any long ish jobs. I did however finish the spoiler repair. Not the best job as you can still tell its been repaired, but I deffinatley learn't a lot and think I could do it better next time any how. Plus I have gone off the ducktail spoiler if I am honest but I don't want to start spend money on body work when I have more important things to by!

But it does look cleaner and the rivets now in black make it look a bit cleaner

Finally I am going to get some underseal in the next coming days and start on the wheel arches and then work my way in steadily. Sanding back anything on the way. Fingers crossed there shouldn't be anything that needs welding as it has been in twice for all the corraded bits doing.

I was hoping to get the clutch done this month as I have been up to Crisp Tuning and spoke with Chris. He is going to custom build me a paddle clutch and skim my flywheel. But unfortunatley due to having to fork out for my daily's car insurance, tax and christmas shopping it looks like it will be next month. Never mind thoughas I probably wont be doing any drift days before then anyways

So my list for winter is
    Stage 1 mods (boost controller and map) - What are my options with the mapping of the car?
    Underdeal
    Gauges to monitor stuff
    New Clutch slave cylinder

I will do some other bits but I dont want the car out for too long as I am awaiting for teeside to do another drift day.

Rides
    Plodding on,

Sorted the rust above the doors the last couple of days. One bit was quite bad but it was all metal underneath

Rust before

All bits sanded down (I did have to filler the worst part as it had left the metal bumpy)

Primer on

And Black on with clear laquire.

I did try and use the Nissan Kuro Black (KH3) paint this time to try and match it up perfectly as before I have normally used gloss black. The paint seemed to be a more watery than normal gloss black so put less on each coat but to be totally honest doesn't look any different to the gloss black. Its also not a perfect job and the trained eye will see the imperfections but this car aint winning no shows with all the other bruses. The main thing is rust has gone

I also had to take the drivers side wing off to get to a low down patch of surface rust on that side. So whilst that was off I re-tied my loom making it lower so the wing would fit better than last time but I also sanded down all the small patches of surface rust and give it a coat of underseal.

I also gave the the inside of the wing a small coat fo the hell of it, but also tieded up the lip on the inside I had pikely bent back to get the TE37's to fit.

As you may know I now have my underseal so I'll get on with that for the coming weeks

Rides
    Been plodding on lately, but nothing juicey unfortunately.

I got the front two arches undersealed. Few bits of surface rust but nothing major.

Before

After

I will take my passenger wing off at a later day to get at all that but I'm trying to get hard bits done.

I have spun the car around today whilst slightly hungover and was planning on doing the rear arches but I soon put the tools down when my mam rang and offered a sunday dinner. So both wheels are off and car is jacked up high ready for the rear end to get coated. In an ideal world I would strip the underside of the car to get it all, but as and when I change it I'll apply a layer and leave it to dry.

The rear arches are pretty spot on but under the exhaust there is a fair bit of flakie rust that needs attending and I haven't had the rear bumer off yet so I'll have a ganders under that.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Ahhhh, rust. The best part of having a Nissan.

Looks good, shame I couldn't get to any of the drift days. I'm cracking out the filler and learning too haha, harder than it looks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    Ahhhh, rust. The best part of having a Nissan.

Looks good, shame I couldn't get to any of the drift days. I'm cracking out the filler and learning too haha, harder than it looks.

I wouldn't say the best at all Jake, but its definitely a part of owning an old Nissan haha.

I was thinking about posting your thread the other day to see what you was up to but I guess you'll be miles away from the car all the time now haha. We have to hit up Teeside at some point next year!!

Rides
    oh the joy of Nissan ownership rust rust and more rust, although in the pics it doesn't look to bad, my white one was rust and lots of holes, the paint looks like it came out really good mate, you done any more drift days since i last see you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by john905 View Post
    oh the joy of Nissan ownership rust rust and more rust, although in the pics it doesn't look to bad, my white one was rust and lots of holes, the paint looks like it came out really good mate, you done any more drift days since i last see you
    Yeah I've got off lucky to be fair. I did write an update earlier then when I was on the final stretch my computer rebooted itself. Basically I have found a tiny patch that needs welding but other than that it's all cosmetic. I know there is far worse out here like you say!! Just trying to get it done now so I can focus in other stuff in he future. Unfortunately not been able to get to any drift days mate. Firstly because I don't want to risk it with the clutch so I'm waiting for that to be done but also there's not been many on local to me mate other than the Teesside NYE bash that I was too late to enter.

Have managed any more? I'd be down at pod a lot if I lived as close as you

Rides
    thats the best way mate sort the rust out and work from there, yeah i did manage to get to pod again in December and going back in feb after i have fitted camber arms and got the alignment done