Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: milsom 93's Project Skids S13

Rides
    Search workshop manual on here.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    nice job!
    in body work what will you do?

and where did you get genuine Nissan S13 workshop manual?
    He got it off meeee! I bought it years ago from Nissan.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    nice job!
    in body work what will you do?

and where did you get genuine Nissan S13 workshop manual?

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF View Post
    He got it off meeee! I bought it years ago from Nissan.

Yeah the good man Howard sorted it out for me. Safe to say I've already got my moneys worth out of it! Body work wise I think I'm going to leave it and maybe fit a pre-facelift front bumper if I get around to it. Glad you like it though.

also forgot to mention I received these the other week.

My front right coilover is leaking and wont pass the MOT so I took adantage of the driftworks 10% off sale. Only got the Dual tech as the budget just wouldnt stretch that far after buying a new daily. These will be sat in storage for a while though until everything else has been sorted on the car

Rides
    I really wish I had a decent sized garage with lighting, Electric, some decent space and a nice bench for tools and just to work on (and a bloody car lift while I'm dreaming)as my pokey little garage is holding me back the most with this. At least I'm not on a driveway as I can work in the wet, but thanks to the short days I can only work on it Saturdays and usually after 3 or 4 hours I am cold and hungry so I pack up for another week. Bring back the long summer days.

On a lighter note, the diff is out and back plate off. Put the skyline back plate on my old diff and I'm just in the process of painting my backplate up before putting it all together. This gave me a good oppertunity to look at the gubbings and I was impressed with the look on both diffs.
    Old diff that came off

New welded diff

I gave the tank a good clean outside before I start with the stuff on the inside. I drained the last little dregs out which were manky!!

Then blasted it with the jet wash

Then tried to scrub it and all the paint came off, so I got most of remain off

So I then gave it a couple of coats of primer to protect it while I get clean the rest up and get some stone chip paint

Hoping to order the tank cleaning products next week with the diff gasket to get all this done and back in for mid Feb so I can start on the clutch

Rides
    A nice bit of progress lately thanks to the later nights

Got some of this stuff

Placed it at 1 parts deox powder to 9 parts water. 20L of water later I sealed the tank up give it 24 hours on each side to work its magic.

Then drained all of solution out, give it a blast with the most powerful jet wash tool I have and it has come out really nice compared.

Went to Halfrauds the next day and got two cans off primer and two cans of under seal for the tank. I have never use under seal before but if I would have known how thick and horrible it was to spray with I would have probably stuck with stone chip, but hey the top is done just have the bottom to spray.

Also got the O-ring from Nissan last week ready to fit and forget about the tank.

Then turned my attention to the fuel pump and this is what fell out of the sock

Not good at all so I got some of the spare petrol out of the tank (clean stuff) and used that to clean the sock out and after 3 tubs full it was finally clean.

Just got to paint the underside, resolder the pump back in and drill out the snapped bolt and that's done

The diff is finally done!!! sprayed it up filled with oil and sealed just awaiting the tank to go in first before fitting it to make things easier.

Speaking of diffs I persuaded the diff cooler and all associated parts to come out

And bought a bucket seat for mega cheap of a friend of a friend and the best bit is it fits my super tiny 30 waist in nice and snug!! There's no denying its tatty but if it stops me getting bashed from side to side on track then its a win.

Finally just a few snaps from when I had to roll the car out to have a new roof fitted to the garage. Getting out was easy as its a very slight decline out of the garage, but I had to use my ingenuity to get the bloody thing back in.

Rides
    I recognize that seat!

Looks good mate, I've read this thread before, didn't realise it was yours though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS13 View Post
    I recognize that seat!

Looks good mate, I've read this thread before, didn't realise it was yours though.
    Hi Chris

Glad you like it. I'll hopefully see you at the 3 sisters track day!

Rides
    Finally the fuel pump is wired back up, tank all painted and snapped bolt dealt with. I have placed new rubber hoses and clamps while the tank was off. So I went and refitted the tank today and I simply need some more fuel and I'll see if she starts next weekend

Post man Pat kindly dropped these off. Brand new driftworks super low rails and driftworks 4 point harness. So I couldnt resist dropping the bucket seat and harness in. The rails are a nice bit of kit and I'm super happy with it as I have managed to fine tune it just right with all the adjustments it allows.

Providing the other half is at work tomorrow I think I'll try get the diff back in, but may provide a challenge on my tod

Rides
    I've been doing the odd hour here or there all week but, I've managed to get the diff in (not an easy task at all on your own, laid on the floor) drive shaft bolted up,had to take my coilovers off and push the wheel down to give me enough play in the half shafts to get them in but, its done. Exhaust all back on and while the coilovers were off I set the new ones up and fitted them. Took a couple of tries but there sitting pretty nice now. Filled the tank up and went to start it today. It seems I have bent the metal pipe on the fuel pump carrier a tad and its now split and firing fuel out at a fair old pace so I need to fix that or find a used one. Gutted as the pump is all sealed up nicely and pump wired, but there's worse jobs.

So here is some pictures I managed to get today while it was half out of the garage.

Rides
    Just a quick update here on this weekends antics.

Saturday morning I got the Nissan out with the hopes to get it started, I bodged the fuel pump outfeed pipe and tried to see if it would start. Unfortunately it give me a false hope and fired straight up to cut out 5 seconds later. Now it was just turning over with what seemed to be no compression and not even attempting. I could hear the fuel pump prime nicely, but I thought maybe the fuel pump wasn't up to the job no more as it lost lubrication from the petrol. Thankfully I had a user off here sell a used fuel pump carrier and left a decent walbro fitted (for mine and his ease) for few extra pennies so I could just drop it in, since mine is 'unknown condition'. So I took the pump out and replaced it with the new to me one. As the o-ring instantly deformed I cut and glued the old one (new one on order) and sealed the tank up with some gasket silicone which I then decided to let that set for 24 hours. So on Sunday morning I got up early and was determind to get the old bugger firing. I had placed the battery on charge over night just in case. placed that back in and turned it over with the new pump. Now the car seemed to want to fire with varying throttle. This got me thinking maybe it just needs some easy start to help it get going after a few months laid up. A spray in the infeed later and it fired for 2 seconds and cut out. Decided to check that it was actually getting fuel, so took the pipe off the fuel filter in the bay, turned it over and not even a drip of fuel. Not good so my next call was the fuel pump outfeed. I took the rubber hose off, turned the igntion on to see fuel shoot, but now no noise no nothing. Happy days! I plugged my old pump in to make sure it wasnt my new pump and still no action. We then decided to hard wire the pump from the battery to see if would work then. A tap on the white/purple wire and the pump span and fired fuel out. Plumbed all the pipes back in placed 12V from battery on again and heard all the fuel system fill up with petrol, turned the key and she fired up instantly. Turned out the fuel pump fuse had blown, so replaced that and now works perfectly and the new pump is remarkably quieter than my old one so it looks like that is damaged but I'll keep for back up.

Now I had a quick look at the clutch system and it has zero fluid in the pot and looks to have been dry some time so I'll get it jacked up and probably replace the slave cylinder but I'll have a closer look this week. Remarkably I can still get the clutch to work, just the bite is right at the top.

Happy chappie now I can smell the summer.

Rides
    Just a small update as per,

Managed to get the new front coilovers on this morning. As you can tell the, old ones have seen a lot better days. I was originally sold these as 'HKS' upfront, but I soon come to the realisation that they are just cheapie eBay coilovers. So I am now on brand new HSD's all round and I have to say by just taking the car around the back streets near me the car seems to not only handle better, but the ride quality is far superior.

You cant really tell but the front left is leaking quite badly.

Also I tried to take the ABS sensor out of my old diff to see if I can put it into my new welded diff to take the ABS light off the dash for its MOT. Managed to get it this far out but it just wont seem to budge, just wondering if you guys know of any tricks to get it fully out.

Hoping to get this thing MOT'ed in 2 weeks time, just praying that it doesn't fail miserably like last year.

Rides
    just unplug the abs ecu in the drivers side rear pocket behind the b pillar that should take the abs light off!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    just unplug the abs ecu in the drivers side rear pocket behind the b pillar that should take the abs light off!
    This is great news! I did research and found people re-wiring it to the oil pressure light ect so I thought swapping the sensor would be easier but if I can just unplug the unit that's awesome!! Cheers pointz!!! Although I did manage to get the sensor out of my old diff last night but I'll just put it to one side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Few bits I've managed to do recently,

Tried unplugging the ABS ECU to see if it would turn the light off, but that just put it on constantly. I had attempt number two on my original sensor in my old diff and got that out. The one in the welded diff came out pretty easy once I knew the technique, re-fitted original sensor and now the light come on and off as it should.

The tank seemed to bubble out of the top carrier, so I firstly investigated why it was pressuring and did my research. Decided my best bet was the carbon canister delete. Binned that off today and I have to say that its not bubbling like before.

Then I turned my attention to why it was bubbling because even though there is pressure it shouldn't allow it to bubble and leak little bits of petrol. I took to carrier and pump out, and found that when I first installed the pump in the winter I have fitted two bolts that where just a tad too long have just pierced through the skin into the tank. Bit of a bummer as I have just spent a lot of time on the tank over winter. I simply tapped the bent bit of metal back up to make the gap smaller and lathered some gasket on with a new O-ring, hoping it will seal it properly but if not I'll have to get a new tank.

Finally as I have re-done a lot of the fuel system a new fuel filter was due,
    Old with brown fuel coming out of it

Fresh New

Also let the car run for a while to get up to temp then give it a few laps of my street and it seems after 15 minutes the pump is getting extremely loud again, but the noise varies on the throttle position and angle of surface but if the car is on a slight down hill and ticking over it absolutely screams. Anybody any ideas? I was thinking maybe the swirl pot if its more on a slight down hill but when I took the pump out earlier the swirl pot was brimmed.

Hoping to send it for a full alignment and MOT next weekend, get her back on the road

Rides
    A few things have been happening since I last updated. I gave the car a wash first of all ready for its MOT and I have to say it came up really well!

Then I tested the tank to see if I had managed to stop the leak. After 30 minutes of running and driving there is the slightest of damp patches on the top which is a result. Although there's nothing wrong with it I asked my good friend Charlie if he had one spare and the legend that he is, he had one spare I could have for a small fee. So I jetted over to his unit and come back with this

The tank has seen a lot better days and will need attention but I'll do that over time.

As he is was in the middle of an engine swap I managed to get his FMIC set up. I have set about fitting it this weekend. Fitting went pretty straight forward although there's a lot more work than I first thought when fitting one for the first time. The wing mount was a bugger to get off but as I wasn't re-using it brute force and ignorance came into play although I now have a black finger nail to show for it

So everything is fitted now and turned the key. It fired up with throttle but wouldn't idle or rev past 2K. Traced the revving to the AFM. Looks like I disturbed the plug when getting the wing mount out. A quick clean up and that solved that but it turned out it wouldn't tick over because I hadn't fitted one of the idle control pipes. All done and running really nice now. Seems to have better throttle response and better boost now so a big win there.

Job for tomorrow is relocate the windscreen washer bottle to the boot as I can't sort a smaller one out before the MOT.

Rides
    I've re-located the washer bottle to get through the MOT.

Thankfully, it went straight through its MOT with only the same advisories as last year.

I have been driving it a lot now and giving it a pasting everywhere and its running sweet as a nut.

Few small niggly faults like a noise from the half shafts and a little bit of wheel wobble at 60mph need sorting but nothing major, and the new welded diff makes it so much better to drift. I don't want to really do any more upgrades just spend that money hopefully getting it out on track. Although I will hopefully be getting a set of gauges to keep an eye on everything whilst out on track and maybe another bucket seat as the missus isn't happy that I have a 'special' seat and she doesn't.

Rides
    Looking good mate, keep up the hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    Looking good mate, keep up the hard work.
    Cheers mate, means a lot.

I spoke too soon with the car running really nice

As it was a beautiful day and the roads to college are really nice I thought I'd take the old girl. Ended up braking down next to a friendly farmers house. It suddenly started to stutter, not boost and just run like a bag of shit. Then when I decided to pull over it was searching for revs at idle and nearly stalling. I wish all breakdowns were this good as I lifted the bonnet and spotted this.....

I popped up to the farmers house and borrowed a flat head screw driver to undo the jubilee clip and tighten it back on, but the clip has seized solid so I just took that off and thankfully had some cable ties in the car (cable ties fix everything) and just put a boat load of them around it to get me home. The pipe could ideally do with a lip on as this would have stopped this happening, but I'll see how much of a problem it becomes once I can get a jubilee clip on that will tighten right up.

Rides
    Just read this from the start, sweet looking car mate. 😀

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I think that has happened to alot of us lol and as you say that take off needs a lip to help hold the pipe on i haven't seen many fmic pipework setups with a decently designed take off there!

Glad she running well at last dude keep up the good work