Thread: milsom 93's Project Skids S13

Flamethrower
    Rides
    But pop up headlights

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    But pop up headlights
    you have the mx5 for that :P

But i do fully understand you craving for a 13. I want a onevia soooooo much

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    But pop up headlights
    Cheers dude! I do fancy just banging a massive wing on the back but I'm not sure how it looks on the S13 and the pop up headlights are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    you have the mx5 for that :P

But i do fully understand you craving for a 13. I want a onevia soooooo much
    I vouch for that Liam! Onevia's are my favourite looking cars!!

Rides
    Not a big update, more of a letting you knows happening.

So, I woke up one morning and thought I don't really like comfort, reliability or economy. So the next week my daily was gone and this took the place (I don't think my street is too happy, but hey ho). Apart from two occasions it cough and spluttered whilst ticking over in torrential rain (suspect rain getting into places it shouldn't) it hasn't missed a beat and frankly I'm loving this as my daily. Although I have a few things to do to make it capable/ not disintegrate

- install some half decent speakers
    These are the fronts in at the min
    Also need to reinstall the rears with the new vibe speakers I have but I have lost the pods to fit them but nas has sorted me out with some that should be here soon.

- I was in two minds wether to take the cage out and reinstall all the rear interior but with the hours I have spent chipping sound deadening/ spraying it/ how good the cage looks overweighs the need to fit a 3rd person in so it's staying as it is

- Waterproofing as it's leaking water in from the the wing mirror seal and boot

- little bits of surface rust that need sorting out

- this dam oil leak needs to finally be sorted as I went to change what I thought was the oil feed and ended up drenched in freezing water as it was the water feed. Decided not to change the oil feed pipe for the braided one until I have a gasket set as it will require getting the turbo off, unless any wise person can tell me a better way also don't think it's this that is leaking so I'll do some more digging at the weekend.

So now with the daily gone and a wage rise at work I can finally start pumping some money into this and start getting it to where I want it

So I'll just leave some pictures from a few meets and random shots now

Rides
    Finally, I found some time and effort to make some progress on jobs that needed to be done.

I have got off my arse to try stop all the rust from getting worse. All the bad rust has been cut out and welded for the MOT so now its all the rust is pretty much surface rust. So I got on with the path under my door.....

Then as I took the paint back I kept on finding more and more

Then spotted more underneath

So after a lot of wire brushing and sanding I got the rust off and primered the area up

Then gloss black paint on top and some stone chip for the bits underneath

Finally clear lacquered and left to dry...

You can still see slight deformation in the metal but I didn't have any filler so it have to do for now, but it looks 100x better and stops the rust from getting out of hand.

Also I put my hand on the roof spoiler for it to come off in my hand. This is weird as I used tiger seal and was told if I used that it would never come off, but it was probably me not putting enough on and it looks like rain has got in and effected it. While it was off I took step back and now like the look with it off so I spent an hour picking tiger seat off the glass with a Stanley knife. Also clear lacquered the rocket bunny spoiler finally so it now matched the car.

Finally fitted some 6x9 speakers to the rear as the fronts where wrecked and as its now my daily I needed some music. So I started with the standard brackets.

Cut them up to fit back as they wouldn't fit with the cage in and also the speakers where massive. This is what 30 minutes of trial and error with an angle grinder got me.

Then painted them up and fitted. Look awesome (although I could have cut them a lot better) and I can actually have my stereo higher than 15 just need to source some decent fronts now

Here's some IPhone pictures of it now......

Rides
    Sooooooo

Been on holiday, but not much to report really

Went to a drift day at Teeside. I wouldn't have said the car was ready still having a standard LSD and not a welder but it was an offer I couldn't refuse. Apart from two miss haps the car didn't miss a beat and while all the big BHP cars where having to go off to let there cars cool down I just kept going round!
    The front coilovers have the top bolt elongated of which I had pull right out to stop the wheel catching. Obviously this then slipped when I went over a bumpy bit sideways causing the wheel to rub. It did this twice and has rubbed the bolts and a little paint off the spring. So a new set of coilovers are on the list now.
    The coilover damage.

The second hiccup was a loose boost pipe on the way home so I couldn't rev past 4K. 10 minutes soon solved this. Also no pictures of me drifting as I was a bit rubbish, but here is a pit photos I got hold of.

So the list after the drift day was:
    Coilovers
    A bucket seat (I was battered and bruised after the day)
    Rack spacers for that little extra lock
    Welded diff
    Gauges to monitor everything.

So today I got these in the hope it will stop my oil leak as the old ones were terrible. Also found a breather pipe split a little so I reapired that and refitted everything. In doing so I knocked an injector plug as it started back up on 3 cylinders but 5 minutes fiddling solved that.

How the old one was

All the crap it left over

Breather pipe I found

Also changed the coolant and used a two step flush system as the old stuff was rank and I have been putting off/ struggling for time to do it for months.
    The state it came out in

The flushing bottles I got. Actually worked a treat

The new stuff looks much fresher

Rides
    Also if anyone is interested in swapping wheels then give me a shout. I fancy a change from these so I'm on the look out for some more, but a swap would be ideal for me

Rides
    These little treats came today!!

17" x 9" ET 20 rear
    17" x 7.5" ET 35 front

So test fitted them

Rear will have a lot more poke but some arch work and stretched tyres will solve that!!

Up front the wheels will poke out less but clear the coilovers much more.

Need to wait for payday now to get some tyres..

Rides
    Got my wheels on!!!

Happy with how they have turned out!!

Got some 215/45/17's put on the 9J rears and some 205/45/17 on the 7.5 fronts.

Over the moon with the rears but personally the fronts could do to stick out more and some more camber put on, but I have come to like them now.

Had to roll the rear arch a little more to get the rears not to catch and lowered the back down around 10mm more and they fit beautifully!!

Just a few pictures of how it sits now. (note the fronts are a little lower now the suspension has settled down.

I can now say I scrape my exhaust going over pretty much all sleeping police man, so a tucked up exhaust may be coming in the near future.

Also I'm going to get this booked in at Crisp Tuning in the very near future for a full alignment, welding of the diff and oil leak fixing. Basically the jobs I just cant find time for and can't find the will power to do in the cold now haha. I will keep you all informed on the plans

Rides
    that looks good mate wheels really suit it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by john905 View Post
    that looks good mate wheels really suit it
    Cheers mate!! I prefer them to the TE37's

Rides
    love this car the black are so rare these days ha!
    would look cool as a onevia tho! id go for it if it was mine, and im a pop-up light enthusiast to say the least ha.
    turbo oil feed is such a common weakness on em. mine needs doing too -_-
    your speakers are gonna rattle as hell tho haha
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Isn't an onevia pop ups on a silvia. He doesn't have the correct body shell for that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Isn't an onevia pop ups on a silvia. He doesn't have the correct body shell for that.
    Yeah it is needs a coupe rear pop up fronts for onevia
    With his coupe she'll he could make a sileighty which is silvia front end 180sx rear

Rides
    oops yes confusion, sil80!
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    love this car the black are so rare these days ha!
    would look cool as a onevia tho! id go for it if it was mine, and im a pop-up light enthusiast to say the least ha.
    turbo oil feed is such a common weakness on em. mine needs doing too -_-
    your speakers are gonna rattle as hell tho haha
    Thank you I didn't realise black was rare though, it's a god send as gloss black spray paint is super easy to get hold of haha
    I do like the sil80 look and to have actually looked into the conversion prices but there is just something about the pop ups I love haha. (I confess to just randomly popping the lights up and down when driving)
    Yeah everyone I know has said get it changed out for a braided one and I actually have a Driftworks braided pipe waiting to go on I just can't find the will power to pull the turbo off especially as it's my daily and I will break something else haha
    Yeah the speakers, not such a bright idea! After all, I need to get on with replacing the front as these are my only ones working and can barely hear them.

So I decided I was going to thrash it home today as I am at college on Wednesdays and its a nice drive home providing traffic isn't bad. So I came off the roundabout in 2nd gear, buried my foot into the floor it picked up really well until 4.5K revs as it seemed to hit a wall. I carried on burying my foot to see if it would overcome this but it just struggled all the way to 6K. I've come home done my research and it seems it may well be the fuel pump which is going. I'll get a walbro on order as its 23 years old and even if it's workings do not causing the problem it could do to be changed. If that's doesn't help then I'll check the vacuum and boost pipes.

Don't know if this can relate to the above issue but either my temperature gauge isn't working or the engine isn't getting up to operating temperature. It seems when I turn the ignition off mans on again the gauge reads as it should but after 10 seconds it goes down to a false reading, then after a long drive it seems to steadily go to a correct reading. I originally thought it was the gauge but now it doesn't seem to go to the operating temperature at all, the heaters don't feel as warm as they should and it's ticking over around 900rpm after a long drive. If anyone has any suggestions it would be awesome!!

Rides
    If the heaters aren't getting warm enough you might have a blocked heater matrix.

Rides
    Do you think the 9s would fit the front too? the rears look hot! I was looking at these but done do them in 4x114

Rides
    I'll have a look mate I get chance

A few goodies arrived this week so I got on with fitting them today.

The spigot rings came. Not had chance to test them (I'll explain later) but should solve the wheel wobble I'm experiencing.

This is where it goes a tin bit pear shaped.
    I got a Walbro 255 fuel pump from DW hoping to solve the struggle after 4K revs but also to replace the 23 year old unit. Everything came out really nice. The fuel pump looked minging and well past it sell by date.

The new pump in the assembly

This where it all went down hill. The O-ring had misshaped and stretched making to too big for the recess. I tried to cut it, measure it up and then cut again to the right size but it just finds it way out of the seal again.

So after a few talks with people and some research I am going to super glue the ends together, warm the the O-ring up (away from the tank ) and then tighten it up , If this doesn't work I'll get one on order from Nissan. Then the fuel supply hose decided to split on the end. I managed pull it on far enough to stop it leaking to get it in the garage, but it really needs a new one. By this time I was getting more frustrated and extremely high off the fumes so I decided enough was enough so this is all tomorrows job haha.

I also Picked a welded diff up from Charlie. Its got a Skyline back plate on now but when I get mine off I'll swap them over. I am going to clean this up and paint it before I fit it.

Finally some sort progress now

Rides
    Can I have the skyline rear plate pretty please